Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power2max Type S Sram €1200 vs Quarq Riken €1300?

Options
  • 13-02-2014 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭

Have posed this question in the cycling forum but I'd thought I'd ask for an opinion here as well despite one poster in cycling suggesting that it's triathletes fault that the price of power meters hasn't fallen. :p

Considered a few more options but I think at the moment these two are the best value for money. There are a few slightly cheaper options but I have dismissed most for one reason or another.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Ryath wrote: »

Have posed this question in the cycling forum but I'd thought I'd ask for an opinion here as well despite one poster in cycling suggesting that it's triathletes fault that the price of power meters hasn't fallen. :p

Considered a few more options but I think at the moment these two are the best value for money. There are a few slightly cheaper options but I have dismissed most for one reason or another.

Well I have the Quarq Red 22 and love it. For questions like this though I find Slowtwitch very good - many more on there with experience.

Something to consider btw is the question: do you intend on swapping it between bikes?

Oh and btw those prices ain't too bad. Did you look into Stages? Good enough for Team Sky, the one team above all that have embraced the scientific approach, I was shocked to hear that they swapped out their SRM's and for once a saying like "well good enough for Team Sky, good enough for me" - wouldn't even convince me!

Garmin Vector? From what I've heard so far they ain't bad but I'd still leave it a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Well I have the Quarq Red 22 and love it. For questions like this though I find Slowtwitch very good - many more on there with experience.

Something to consider btw is the question: do you intend on swapping it between bikes?

Oh and btw those prices ain't too bad. Did you look into Stages? Good enough for Team Sky, the one team above all that have embraced the scientific approach, I was shocked to hear that they swapped out their SRM's and for once a saying like "well good enough for Team Sky, good enough for me" - wouldn't even convince me!

Garmin Vector? From what I've heard so far they ain't bad but I'd still leave it a few years.

How does that Team Sky kool aid taste? Edit: edit : (Misread apologies)
    "But dcrainmaker said......"
    When it comes to power meters does he do comprehensive complete tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

A couple on here have the Power2max and seem happy.

I have a Quarq spider and am very happy.
    Ease of changing battery, reliability, and in my opinion accuracy (have only compared to 1 other device being LeMond).
    I do have the left/right balance thing also which has been of little use but still useful for identifying weakness.

With the Stages and Garmin out now as well, it's purely down to a personal preference at this stage as I haven't heard anything particularly negative about any of the current devices just yet... granted it may be early days for the Stages and Garmin however.

As for Team Sky going to Stages, I imagine this is sponsorship/loyalty based if Stages are UK based also?
    Maybe they're not I don't know, but I guess shows they are all pretty reliable now you'd hope.

Not sure on the comparison of the others compared to Quarq in relation to changing battery, reliability etc.

As a quarq user for 15 months now, I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I have a P2M and love it. Easy to change the battery and very easy to swap between bikes.

A mate has a stages and I text him when the Sky announcement was made. His response was along the lines of "yes, was smiling at that as I packed mine up for an in warranty replacement". Apparently there are issues with battery life with Stages that mean it's impossible to keep them in batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

I've got a P2M (Rotor Version) also and haven't had any trouble with it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

sram in usa has fantastic customer service. at the same time they seem to have more issues than power 2 max ( p2m-meter seem to run really well since 2013 )
    why you would not want to go with the slightly cheaper rotor version the guys in the cycle forum seem to be right that we keep the prices up : ( even the fsa version would be decent enough for most but the really strong guys) and wastn there one for 960 euro on sale a few weeks ago ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Been using a P2M for the last 3 months , very very happy with it. Easy battery change, reasonably light, one of the coolest features is the LED indicators inside the battery chamber which show you that the device is transmitting. Seems all previously reported issues with errant readings due to temperature variances have been resolved, 3 second pedalling pause resets/calibrates. Runnig a Rotor 3d plus chainset and controltech rings, on a bb30 shiv. Most importantly it looks slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Plan for the moment is just to keep it on one bike. I may get a new bike a Canyon CF for racing in bit which the power2max is compatible with though I would imagine I'll do most of my training on my current bike. The gxp cranks are fairly versatile and I can always swap the power2max spider to a bb30 sram crank if I got a bike with one in future.

Vectors are a bit above budget and I reckon a gxp crankset is quicker to move. Read about some issues with Vector's under reading when not torqued correctly
    tunney wrote: »
    "But dcrainmaker said......"
    When it comes to power meters does he do comprehensive complete tests?

He certainly writes a lot, hard to make a definitive decision with his reviews though. He seems to rate the power2max since they fixed the temperature drift issue. He said it will be a few months before he has the review of the Type s
    peter kern wrote: »
    why you would not want to go with the slightly cheaper rotor version the guys in the cycle forum seem to be right that we keep the prices up : ( even the fsa version would be decent enough for most but the really strong guys) and wastn there one for 960 euro on sale a few weeks ago ?)

I can get the newer type s for around €100 more. Battery compartment is better integrated and it looks better. You can use any brand of cr2040 batteries as well.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Got a price of €190 for Sram s900 cranks from my LBS so for an all in cost just of just under €1160 looks like it makes sense. Can't see much reason to spend the extra on the quarq though as Peter said I have read some very good reports on their customer service. Power2max are meant to be pretty good to deal with to. Haven't seen any real complaints about them since the update for temperature drift.

Just need to decide now if I spend a bit extra and get a full force 22 groupset instead of just getting the s900 crankset.

Advertisement