Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saw for cutting small logs

• 13-02-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

We had a tree fall out of our front garden and out onto the road during the storm, but it was cut up by a very helpful man with a chainsaw who happened to be passing.

I've now got a load of logs in about 1-1.5m lengths (3-5 ft) and in diameters ranging from about 5 to 15 cm (2-6 inches) which I want to cut into suitable lengths to stack and dry for now, and then use next winter.

Has anyone got any recommendations on the best way to cut these up? Obviously a chainsaw is quickest, but I've no experience, and quite a bit of a fear of chopping through my leg with the thing.

Are there any more idiot-proof saws out there that would be suitable for this sort of occasional light work?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A bow saw

eg

SE-15-24BowSaw.jpg

is what you're after. Just saw straight and don't twist the blade or else it may snap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

you can get "safety" type chain saws that are designed for domestic used and pretty safe
    for example this one can be used to cut logs on the ground
    Worx Jaws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

OK, that gives me ideas all right... how about this?

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Black-and-Decker-GK1000-Alligator-Powered-Lopper/8285/4.1.1

The bow saw is something that I'm going to get all right, but I'd be a month doing all the wood by hand.

Good exercise though! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

That yoke will only cut up to 100mm 4 inches you might be as cheep to give someone a few bob with a chain saw and let then cut it, cutting up logs with a bow saw is no easy task

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

GreeBo wrote: »
    you can get "safety" type chain saws that are designed for domestic used and pretty safe
    for example this one can be used to cut logs on the ground
    Worx Jaws
    With the greatest of respect save your money, they are a waste of time, you'd be better off with a bowsaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

lidl have a good one (bowsaw) this week for 9 or 10 euro and has a spare blade, was a decent size too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

fricatus wrote: »
    Has anyone got any recommendations on the best way to cut these up? Obviously a chainsaw is quickest, but I've no experience, and quite a bit of a fear of chopping through my leg with the thing.

Definitely a chainsaw. There's only one way to get experience, why not start now?
    You'll soon learn that it's not the chainsaw is to be feared, but what you're cutting.

Otherwise, I'd recommend a bow saw. I bought a Bahco bow saw on Amazon for about a tenner a few years ago. It's ideal for this. Try to get two blades, one for green and one for seasoned wood.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have a look over on the farming forum for advice on chainsaw purchase (and recommended safety gear).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

if your buying a chainsaw buy a good one i reccomend a stihl ms170 great little saw i got new one last week in uk for 210euro inc vat.
    cheap saws are a danger bits going loose etc.
    would avoid huskys entery level saws they were bought by electralux and went down hill fast with a bad rep in the forestry world.

the two gimmicks above are a waste of cash i agree you would be better with a good bow saw and the price of them too for the junk they are.

its never to late to start using a chain saw BUT i would seriously do research on safety on using youtube will bw good for this or i seen free chainsaw courses worth a google

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

If you're inexperienced you're better off buying local. Makes it easier to pop in if you need advice, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement