Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours dog

• 13-02-2014 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but ill give it a go here.

There is a dog on my street that is allowed to be out all day unattended . It is a medium to large sized mongrel. This dog barks at everyone chasing some it i wanders into everyone's gardens to poop and bark . The owners when approached say it is not there dog as there one sits outside there garden all day and doesnt do anything or go anywhere. I can see this is the same dog as I live across the street from them and watch it doing this.

I am terrified of dogs (like some women and spiders yep i have that with dogs.) and there is no chance of getting over this unrational fear any-time soon.

The dog has picked up on this and goes for me coming and going for me house thankfully it hasn't actually attacked just poised and barking but i think it is getting braver and im not the only one it has done this too i'm terrified of it and check if it is about if i am leaving or will wait at the end of the street until it is gone to go into my house.

What can I do about this since the owners do not care ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Carry a water gun? Failing that - call the warden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

If you show fear by running away from the dog, it'll do what it can to seemingly intimidate you. The best example of this I can give is when there was this man being chased by a turkey, he kept trying to get away from it, swinging his bag at it and tried hiding behind a van in order to get away from it, but the turkey kept chasing him down. Eventually another man was walking along where the same turkey was harassing this other person, he faced it head on and it ran off.

Not saying you should chase this dog down, but if you get panicky and try to sprint away from it when it is coming down towards you it will most likely chase you (it feels like a game to him, especially if he's left to do his own thing, he will come up with ways to keep himself occupied/give himself a job) and bark it's head off at you because it will feel like it has the upper hand.

Have you considered contacting the a dog warden about the residence and how they leave their dog to do its own thing? I love dogs and all, but as you said the apparent owners don't seem concerned and the dog seems to obviously be making people feel very uncomfortable and that's not fair on anyone.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Sorry, I would call the Warden. They say the first step is to engage the owner which you have done to no avail so I wouldn't think twice about calling the Warden. If the dog is showing aggression and is outside in a public area all of the time, it may only be a matter of time before someone gets bitten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭cytex

thanks for the replies i didnt even know there was a dog warden i have just googled it and found them and sent a email with a video of the dog doing its thing .

Hopefully something is done about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The dog warden is a waste of time, the only way to sort it out is in the district court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

aujopimur wrote: »
    The dog warden is a waste of time, the only way to sort it out is in the district court.

Which dog warden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

All dog wardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

aujopimur wrote: »
    All dog wardens.

Never knew anyone met them all before to come to that conclusion which would be necessary to past judgement on them all. 34 local authorities in 26 counties and scores of dog wardens and they are all a waste of time. Is your post a rant or can you back up your 26 county claim that all dog wardens are a waste of time?

Advertisement