Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peig - Irish legend or scary aul wan?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Perhaps Peig would be more suited to an Irish History curriculum rather than an Irish language curriculum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

When you're 16 you are not interested in learning the story of some long dead aul wan, it was a silly move to include it as part of LC Irish.

When you're 16 you are not interested in learning the story of some long dead aul wan, it was a silly move to include it as part of LC Irish.

That is true. It is a bit 'irrelevant' these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

sopretty wrote: »
    That is true. It is a bit 'irrelevant' these days.

Yes but also it really is the most awful dirge. Badly written, self indulgent, moaning, repetitive, semi literate tripe.
    Beaten into us us by the culchie teachers.
    Hated every single word.
    But I'm not bitter....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

I reckon some FF family owns the copyright to book and keep it going to cream off the royalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

I laughed out loud at the comment about a cow being stung by a wasp, tactless I know...

After growing up hearing the moaning and bad comments about Peig, I built up images of her from my imagination as the Irish "Baba Yaga", so I am disappointed to learn she wasn't at all witchlike like handing out poisoned apples to pretty girls or cooking kids alive after luring them in her gingerbread house, how cool that would have been!

I wouldn't be surprised if Peig was turned into a myth, the opposite of her real self, as the "monster under the bed" for Peig weary parents to scare their kids into behaving themselves.

Have started reading her story for the curiosity and the craic. Reading Peig in Irish may be regarded as pretty awful then the English translation can't be any worse. Saw the famously immortal words "I am an old woman now, with one foot in the grave and the other on its edge." Wish me luck!

RahenyD5 wrote: »
    I laughed out loud at the comment about a cow being stung by a wasp, tactless I know...

After growing up hearing the moaning and bad comments about Peig, I built up images of her from my imagination as the Irish "Baba Yaga", so I am disappointed to learn she wasn't at all witchlike like handing out poisoned apples to pretty girls or cooking kids alive after luring them in her gingerbread house, how cool that would have been!

I wouldn't be surprised if Peig was turned into a myth, the opposite of her real self, as the "monster under the bed" for Peig weary parents to scare their kids into behaving themselves.

Have started reading her story for the curiosity and the craic. Reading Peig in Irish may be regarded as pretty awful then the English translation can't be any worse. Saw the famously immortal words "I am an old woman now, with one foot in the grave and the other on its edge." Wish me luck!

You might actually enjoy it! Please do report back with your opinion, good or bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

That would be an ecumenical matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Peig sayers was a legend, a talented seanachai and a great story teller, she grew up in tough times, no Facebook or selfies in those days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Irish legend or scary auld wan? Is there a Banshee bride of Satan option?

She went through more husbands than most, you would think they would learn to stay away from the cliffs! and from the book there was more love in a pig so she wasn't any different to most women and people living in remote areas at the time. Just look and read about the real hillbilly's in america who lived in the most inaccessible mountain areas of states like kentucky and were prone to losing husbands just like peig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

WikiHow wrote: »
    Peig sayers was a legend, a talented seanachai and a great story teller, she grew up in tough times, no Facebook or selfies in those days.

It's kinda hard to believe that back then when people emigrated that was ofton the last time their family ever saw them again.

I read somewhere the boat trip to Australia took a few months.

Advertisement