Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Hemp-lime plastering

Options
  • 13-02-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Anyone have an idea of how much a skilled plasterer with experience of hemp-lime would be to renovate the internal walls of a 200+ year-old stone cottage? Dimensions are 46 sq m. + internal wall/chimney breast. Is stripping the existing limewash and mortar from the stone a job which is done by the plaster, or by unskilled labour in advance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hood lamb

Howya.. I do it for free but I only done labouring for norml palstering.. I'd go on hempbuilding.com.... Are you doing it in Ireland...?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Chisler2

Thank you for the link Hood-Lamb and yes - in Ireland. Am about to send out limited tender and trying to get a 'ball-park' figure on what the hemp-lime costs in comparison with other systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Cardenkelly

Did u ever have this job done ?? I was quoted 80e a sq mtr back in the day, so I did it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Chisler2

Did u ever have this job done ?? I was quoted 80e a sq mtr back in the day, so I did it myself

I have heard positive things from friends and neighbours who hemp-lined cottages and would take that route myself but decided it was not needed in this case. The cottage had always been dry and warm and now, with maximum insulation in the crawl-space, a new roof and the mass of the stone walls, re-pointed and lime-plastered, insulating the walls seems redundant even at times of low night temperatures. Glad your effort was successful and kept the cost down. I bought a small cement-mixer and did the work myself.

Advertisement