Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support is ending for Office 2003 on April 8, 2014.

Options
  • 13-02-2014 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Just came across this, others may need to take note.

After this date, Office 2003 products will no longer receive the following:

Assisted support
    Online content updates
    Software updates from Microsoft Update
    Security updates to help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software, which can steal your personal information.
    Although you will still be able to start and run Office 2003 after this date, you may want to upgrade to a newer version of Office to get continuing support and updates.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/support-is-ending-for-office-2003-HA103306332.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HP005200178

Might try open office are there any major disadvantages, regards documents and spreadsheets.

On the other hand I don't have any 'live' links or updates, to the internet like, latest share prices, etc so is there any need for me to change at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Just came across this, others may need to take note.

Might try open office are there any major disadvantages, regards documents and spreadsheets.

You'd be better with Libre Office as it gets continuous development and updates, the Open Office team left when Oracle bought Sun and created Libre Office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭stupid head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

That has got nothing to do with the thread, this thread is about Office.

Besides that XP needs to die, it's a 12 year old OS that's served us well, there's no excuse for not having upgraded by now. Security experts claim there are thousands of vulnerabilities being sat on, waiting for this day that support ends. Good luck to you if you want to keep using it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Such apps included the Patient Administration System and Choose and Book, a browser-based app that could only work with the Windows XP browser.

This scares me from that article, it looks as though they may still be using IE6! :pac:

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I know it's not future proof by any means but you can use THIS to make all the off-line updates for both Office 2003 & XP for reinstall purposes.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

danjo-xx wrote: »
    On the other hand I don't have any 'live' links or updates, to the internet like, latest share prices, etc so is there any need for me to change at all.
    Do you ever open a document that you don't create (regardless of how you receive it)? If you do, you're at risk. Even if you don't, there's possibly security holes opened purely by the fact that Office 2003 is installed

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

In all honesty the difference between 03 and LibreOffice are minimal these days. LibreOffice supports the Microsoft Open docx/xlsx etc. formats so compatibility won't be an issue both ways. Unless you have specific Excel macros/apps which have been built for 03 I'd recommend either getting LibreOffice or upgrading Excel. The risk of infection by macros and the likes in Office docs is low enough these days, but it is a risk nonetheless..

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

office will still work

office will still work

But it may pose a security issue. It's advisable not to use EOL software, and if you must keep it offline and away from removable media.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

28064212 wrote: »
    Do you ever open a document that you don't create (regardless of how you receive it)? If you do, you're at risk. Even if you don't, there's possibly security holes opened purely by the fact that Office 2003 is installed

I get ya now:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I know too many businesses using Office 2003, and one that is still on Outlook Express. No harm to upgrade to a later version office or LibreOffice though I have a feeling there will be plenty of businesses on XP and Office 2003 next summer despite Microsoft warning them, I'm sure a lot of SME's aren't even aware of this.

Advertisement