Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas or Electric Brewing Setup

Options
  • 13-02-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I am currently in the US brewing small 1 gal batches on a cooker but will be moving back to Ireland soon and want to step up to 5 gal (19L)batches.

I am looking to find out what is the preferred boil kettle heating method in Ireland and any pros and cons associated with them. From what I can see the options are

1. Metal brew kettle with gas /electric stove top or outside gas burner

2. Electric brewing with Electrium mashing bin or kettle element type setup

From what I can see the metal kettle/gas burner setup might be more expensive initially but there are a bigger range and larger capacity of kettles. Metal Kettle might last longer and be easier to keep clean than a plastic mash bin but the plastic mash bin might be a little bit cheaper to purchase and run than gas. Not sure which is quicker on brew day.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I use a simple plastic bucket with a kettle element and find it's great: plug-and-play, zero maintenance.

Like a lot of home brewing, or any hobby, it all comes to how much time and money you want to put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Electric is the choice for most Europeans, as our voltage is high than the US. Also it allows you to brew in doors, where as with Gas that's not considered a good idea due to carbon monoxide that maybe be generated in low ventilated area.

Plastic and metal can be used for electric system, it just depends on what you want to spend on it

Here is a pic of my system all plastic HLT, kettle and Mash tun (picnic cooler)

Brewerysetup_zps057c98b1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bluejet59

Thanks for the pics.

What is the max capacity of the electric boiler. The ones I see online seem to be 25L (6.5). Is this enough to get a 5 gal batch in a keg after losses to boiling, and waste yeast, trub, etc.

I use this. It'll easily turn out 5 gallons. Proper gallons, not undersized American ones :P

Mine can hold around 60liters or so, I was never conformable with the 25 liters boilers.

the homebrew company sells a 33liter one

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/33lt-boiler-pack-includes-hop-strainer-p-576.html

• Advertisement

http://www.homebrewbuilder.co.uk has some really lovely metal systems, if you have the cash to spend

wp12cd8fd0_06.png

wp26b59036_06.png

HERMS system
    wp36ad5ef9_06.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bluejet59

Thanks. I was thinking of picking up somethig a little less fancy from morebeer or northern brewer. But now I think I will go with a small electric boiler/brew kettle. If I change my mind about it I can always use it as a HLT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

BeerNut wrote: »
    I use this. It'll easily turn out 5 gallons. Proper gallons, not undersized American ones :P

Is that setup any good? Does it get a nice rolling boil going? How long would it take to get to that?

I've been looking into making one for myself, but the way I'm thinking of doing it wouldn't really turn out cheaper than the pre-made one there.

Is that setup any good?
    Well, it has worked for me for the last five years.
    Does it get a nice rolling boil going?
    Yes.
    How long would it take to get to that?
    It takes about an hour to get 15L of water to boil. With the specialty malt steepings and extract in, maybe another half hour to get that up to a rolling boil. If you're handy it would be simple enough to add an extra element to cut that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

It takes about an hour to get 15L of water to boil..
    :eek:

Electricity is fine, but use elements liberally. I have 2 x 2Kw elements in my kettle, which is well insulated, and I can get a boil going in fairly good time.

I've recently acquired some gas stuff which gives me the option of boiling out doors. We're doing a 225L barrel of lambic in a couple of weeks time in my back garden so to be able to use gas will take a lot of strain off the auld fuse board.

(Electric is also more efficient)

• Advertisement

Tube wrote: »
    :eek:
    :) I should probably have pointed out that said water comes out of my outside tap at 2-5°C most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Well, it has worked for me for the last five years.

Yes.

It takes about an hour to get 15L of water to boil. With the specialty malt steepings and extract in, maybe another half hour to get that up to a rolling boil. If you're handy it would be simple enough to add an extra element to cut that time.

Would you not use a kettle(for tea) to get about half the water up to strike speed faster?

The timing works for me as it is. By the time the water is ready I have my specialty grains steeped, my yeast re-hydrated, my hops weighed out and my fermenter sanitised.

Advertisement