Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance, 20 yr male driver

Options
  • 13-02-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm thinking of buying my own car, something small, punto or polo. I'm already insured as a named driver on my mams insurance on her car.
    I told her that I wanted my own car (I have a part-time job so get 150 every week) and she always says "Your insurance will be over two thousand to start off". ?? really though?? that music for 20 year old male with full CLEAN driver licence.

My friend has her own car (punto) she's a female and her insurance ON HER OWN is only 600 euro for the year and she's only 18. Why is this.

So my question is if I do buy my first car will insurance be that expensive??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

FBD is your best bet. Got quoted 1500 for an S320 at the age of 20, 2 years named driver exp and full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My first car was a 1.3 civic and I paid a few thousand, that was over 10 years ago so I do not know what the prices are now for young drivers. Also I thought they got rid of cheaper insurance for female drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Maybe not 2k but deffinitely up around 1200 depends on your age,provisional or full,time driving ,size and age of car,number of lessons taken,and believe it or not what part of the country you live in, also if you live in a city town village or in the sticks,type of isurance and cover provided by said insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nobody here will know how much insurance is going to cost you as insurance premiums are based on information specific to the person being insured as well as the car they are insuring. However the general trend is that young males with no previous insurance in their own name will not be cheap.

Insurance companies have statistics that show females tend to cause less accidents and carnage than similar aged males. However late last year the gender equalization rules came into play where they could no longer do that.

What you need to do is ring around some insurance companies and brokers for prices as well as some of the online calculators.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Just went on to FBD car insurance website there and done a quick quote, for me, 20 year old, clean full licence, driving a 1.2 litre car is €1,150 10% discount when bought online!! GOOD OR WHAT ?? :)

• Advertisement

Just went on to FBD car insurance website there and done a quick quote, for me, 20 year old, clean full licence, driving a 1.2 litre car is €1,150 10% discount when bought online!! GOOD OR WHAT ?? :)

Not bad ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Be wary of the quick quote system mate, invariably that is not the actual price, its usually a good bit higher.

In terms of your driving experience on your Mums policy. If you have been named for at least 1 year (as in a minimum of 12 concurrent months, there can be no gap) then insurers will allow you an introductory no claims bonus.

Your best bet is to do the FBD quote online, get the reference code for it, then ring the call centre. You can speak to the web team and they will be able to apply the 10% online discount for doing it online, over the phone.

At least that way they will be able to advise you of exactly what entitlements you have.

Be wary of the quick quote system mate, invariably that is not the actual price, its usually a good bit higher.

In terms of your driving experience on your Mums policy. If you have been named for at least 1 year (as in a minimum of 12 concurrent months, there can be no gap) then insurers will allow you an introductory no claims bonus.

Your best bet is to do the FBD quote online, get the reference code for it, then ring the call centre. You can speak to the web team and they will be able to apply the 10% online discount for doing it online, over the phone.

At least that way they will be able to advise you of exactly what entitlements you have.

Had no difference in a phone quote and the online quote - that 10% online discount is a hoax ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Ring them. Seriously. The online systems are (nearly) always higher. I went from €1200 to €770 when I rang them. Also for mad things like putting your Mum as a named driver, it can drop the insurance cost as well.

Just to warn you, at €150 week you'll be putting probably €40 to €60 of that as fuel depending on your mileage. Plus the tax and insurance costs. I'd do your maths on it. For instance, a 1.0L 1999 Yaris is €199 a year to tax. A Punto or similar in the old tax system (i.e. Older than about 2007) at a 1.4L will be €413 per year to tax. If your insurance was say €900, the overall cost of having that car per day, every day of the year before you drive it is €3.60.

Just my two cents. Driving is great but don't underestimate the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If not on the line of good public transport and in a wet part of the country then a car at that age is essential.
    The income of €150 pw will not go much farther than a car and occasional fast food and clothes.

I wouldn't be smoking and drinking on it.

Another snag is the repair bills and NCT that older cars can drag up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ring them. When I was getting insurance for my younger brother who was 20 at the time. I did a couple of online quotes and rang everyone else. I got a decent online quote with Britton, and when I rang them they knocked a further 200 off it. The quote ended up being 1000 on a 06 Micra. He had a year named driving experience.

From my own perspective at 25, I will only use online quotes for an estimate, and will ring come renewal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

bazz26 wrote: »
    What you need to do is ring around some insurance companies and brokers for prices as well as some of the online calculators.
    Ring them...[cut]...I rang them they knocked a further 200 off it...

Frankly, I wasted a lot of time doing thing, and every single time the quote they gave me was exactly the one coming off the website, to the cent - they were clearly using the website itself on the other side of the phone, or at least fishing from the very same data source, as expected.

Even when I called my previous insurer, telling them I had multiple quotes for 1/3 of their premium, they didn't budge a cent and kept stupidly repeating that "prices increased across the board".
    Sobanek wrote: »
    Had no difference in a phone quote and the online quote - that 10% online discount is a hoax wink.png

Exactly as above :D

Advertisement