Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port forwarding to enable IP access to alarm

Options
  • 13-02-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi, I am trying to enable remote access to my home alarm. From what I have read I need to forward port 443 on my router. I have a Huawei HG658 router. Looking at various pages it's directing me to the settings as illustrated by the screen capture below. However, I'm not sure what to do here. Do I type port 443 and if so where? Do I need to change any other settings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

fitzie79 wrote: »
    Hi, I am trying to enable remote access to my home alarm. From what I have read I need to forward port 443 on my router. I have a Huawei HG658 router. Looking at various pages it's directing me to the settings as illustrated by the screen capture below. However, I'm not sure what to do here. Do I type port 443 and if so where? Do I need to change any other settings?

Drop the interface drop box to PTM_TR069
    Remote host is blank
    external start and end ports 443
    internal host: static IP address of alarm
    internal port 443

Not sure if an alarm should be TCP only or TCP/UDP

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

thanks for the response!

I'm having difficulty trying to get this port open. I've configured the router as shown below. When i try to go to canyouseeme.org I cant seem to see the port though - it reports a time out error.

is there any other setting that i should be enabling? I've tried all 3 protocol options but none of them seem to work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Can you access the alarm from the internal network ? Does it respond on port 443 ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Port 443 is generally used for serving up secure http.

http://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=443

It's possible that this may be blocked by your ISP as some dont like users serving websites.

Can the port number be changed on the alarm?

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote: »
    Can you access the alarm from the internal network ? Does it respond on port 443 ?

Ken

i can access the alarm from the internal network by going directly to the ip address (https://192.168.1.13). when i try to check if the port is open on canyouseeme.org it doesn't show up as visible.

degsie wrote: »
    Port 443 is generally used for serving up secure http.

http://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=443

It's possible that this may be blocked by your ISP as some dont like users serving websites.

Can the port number be changed on the alarm?

i've tried googling por 443 for vodafone but can't find anything concrete to say if it's blocked.

not sure if it's possible to change the port on the alarm but i'll look into that too

fitzie79 wrote: »
    i can access the alarm from the internal network by going directly to the ip address (https://192.168.1.13). when i try to check if the port is open on canyouseeme.org it doesn't show up as visible.

If the alarm is on 192.168.1.13 then why are you porting 443 to 192.168.1.100 ? Have you set a static address on the alarm ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

If the alarm is on 192.168.1.13 then why are you porting 443 to 192.168.1.100 ? Have you set a static address on the alarm ?

Ken

That might explain something alright.

sorry - typo when i mentioned 192.168.1.13 - one of the solutions i tried was to change the alarm ip address and to port to that new ip address. this didnt work so i set the alarm back to 192.168.1.100. the port forwarding is set to this as well at the moment

• Advertisement

I'm not familiar with your router so forgive me if this is a stupid question. Have you opened port 443 inbound on your routers firewall ? Some routers will do this automatically once you open a port in NAT, yours might not ? No harm checking.

Ken

I'm not familiar with your router so forgive me if this is a stupid question. Have you opened port 443 inbound on your routers firewall ? Some routers will do this automatically once you open a port in NAT, yours might not ? No harm checking.

Ken

Any idea where i might be able to check this? I've looked around the menus but nothing shows up. My router is a Huawei HG658C.

In the picture you posted in your OP there's a Firewall node just above the current open node. If you can post a screen grab of that maybe we could guide you ?

Ken

In the picture you posted in your OP there's a Firewall node just above the current open node. If you can post a screen grab of that maybe we could guide you ?

Ken

There's not much in this menu but screen shot attached.

In the drop down menu where it currently shows - PTM-TR069-VOIP-INTERNET-R-VID-10 - are there any other options ? The VOIP thing doesn't look right. It may just be customisation by VF but on another site is gives a different option in that drop down that makes more sense.

In the Application drop down is there a HTTPS option ?

Ken

Advertisement