Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ringsend or Clongriffin?

Options
  • 13-02-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello everyone,

As I just moved into Ireland, I was looking at buying a property and find some decent prices in Ringsend and Clongriffin

Regarding Ringsend, the property I was looking at is right by the Recycling Plant (Poolbeg Quay) and I guess, not too far from a Water Waste plant and I was wondering if Ringsender knew anything about living next to these facilities?

Is it noisy, smelly, dangerous? I have a few months old baby and I would not like to take any risks.

As for Clongriffin, it was a very strange experience. It kinda looked like a ghost town even though the Main Street apartments looks pretty nice and modern. Would you say that a spacey 2 bed rooms at 170-190k is a good investment for the future? It looked extremely dead.

Thank you so much for all the advice and knowledge you guys can share.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

atreid wrote: »
    Regarding Ringsend, the property I was looking at is right by the Recycling Plant (Poolbeg Quay) and I guess, not too far from a Water Waste plant and I was wondering if Ringsender knew anything about living next to these facilities?
    As I understand it, there is only a pumping station and a local collection depot for things like household recyclables and the likes of fridges and TVs - no processing on site. This is it: https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=poolbeg+quay&hl=en&ll=53.341969,-6.214&spn=0.000665,0.00191&sll=53.32432,-6.251695&sspn=0.1702,0.488892&hnear=Poolbeg+Quay,+Pigeon+House+Rd,+Dublin+4,+County+Dublin&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.341866,-6.213934&panoid=l6jkOd6lYfqvMFA8_38BBg&cbp=12,241.58,,0,-1.44

The waste water treatment plant is about 1.5km away. https://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Pigeon+House+Road&daddr=Pigeon+House+Road&hl=en&sll=53.339996,-6.208262&sspn=0.010634,0.030556&geocode=FRjwLQMdUS2h_w%3BFZrnLQMdMXOh_w&t=m&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=15&z=15 There was a problem with smells about 8-10 years ago, but I get the impression that it has been mostly fixed.

A bigger problem would be the noise from the port that is only 300 metres away and I understand operates 24 hours.
    As for Clongriffin, it was a very strange experience. It kinda looked like a ghost town even though the Main Street apartments looks pretty nice and modern. Would you say that a spacey 2 bed rooms at 170-190k is a good investment for the future? It looked extremely dead.
    The 3-4 times I've been there it was extremely quiet. However, in the years ahead, expect the other side of the street to be built up. Check what services are available - shops, doctor, schools, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Poolbeg Quay - as said across the road is the port which has had legal proceedings served on it from nearby residents complaining about the noise. The East Link road is very busy daytime for noise, not night time. The recycling waste facility also takes household black bin waste, the smell could be an issue, go down there and check though hard to tell in winter. There are plenty of families in Poolbeg Quay, you will see loads of kids playing there so your child will not be short of friends to play with. There is not much property in your price range in Ringsend so you are restricted for choice.

And for Clongriffin, make sure the property is not pyrite infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 atreid

Thank you for the advice!

Is there a way for me to know which properties are infected by Pyrite or not? I mean, is the Estate Agent obligated to tell me if I ask him?

Also, the only thing I'm a bit worried about the big mosque construction is the noise it's going to generate. This is a several months project I would take and so that might create a lot of nuisance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

There's much uncertainty about the Ringsend development but in the mid to long term I cannot feel but there will be a commercial/light industrial development if the recycling centre does not go ahead.
    I don't know enough about Clongriffin to give a view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

moxin wrote: »
    And for Clongriffin, make sure the property is not pyrite infected.

The Clongriffin estate, Beaupark, was one of the first to be identified in the country as affected by pyrite. But it was also one of the first to have the developers reach a settlement and fix the houses. If buying a house in the area you can ask for a cert to prove the remediation work was carried out.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0316/298771-menolly/

I used to live in Clongriffin but have since moved out of Dublin. I enjoyed my years there. For your price range, I think it isn't a bad option. As with any purchase of this magnitude however, do your own research.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 costar

Hi,

I am living in Beau park for a few years and looking forward to move from it. The bus line and the dart have excellent services however I am having problems with parking and neighbours living their bins on the parking areas to reserve parking spaces that are not reserved and people dumping garbage on the waste bins. Parking is a serious problem in clongriffin as people park everywhere including in pavements as most of the properties can have just 1 parking spaces and the residents have an average of 2 cars.

Advertisement