Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single width 20A RCBO for computer suite

Options
  • 13-02-2014 11:17pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking to use single width RCBO's in a panel for a computer suite, single width will avoid lots of hassles with bus bars and the like, it's a sub panel off the main supply.

Anyone know a source for them in Dublin, the local place only has the double width units, which make it impossible to run a bus bar across the bottom of the units.

Thanks

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

Only ones I know of are square D ones. Only compatible with a square D board though

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Try this:

http://www.protekuk.co.uk/spacesaver-rcbos-10ka.pdf

Personally I prefer to use 2 mod RCBOs with 2 pole (or 3P + N) busbar and 16 sq. panel flex.
    In my opinion it is a far better job (with the exception of the excellent Square D units).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

3p +n busbar for 3p board

L + n busbar for 1 phase board

no problem there with 2 mod rcbos

do they have be type A RCBO's for computer applications.. if RCBO's are needed at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Is it 4 computers max per circuits again to allow for the earth leakage? I forget...

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Is it 4 computers max per circuits again to allow for the earth leakage? I forget...

4 by 3.5 to stay under 15mA

I've seen that figure quoted alright , it may relate to older equipment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It's a mix of computers, printers, monitors and related peripherals, and the thinking behind using multiple RCBO's is to try to avoid the aggravation of nuisance tripping taking out a lot of multiple devices, the area concerned will have a number of circuits so that if a breaker goes out, it doesn't take the entire area out and cause more aggravation, so my thinking it to try and avoid multiple circuits on one RCBO,

It's single phase so a dual bus bar might be an answer, I was hoping to use a single line panel, and dual width RCBOs might make that tricky, as there's a number of circuits required, 2 for a server, and then other sockets for the rest of it, so that's pushing close to the limit if I can't get single width units, and a 2 row panel will be tight for other reasons related to the space available.

Is there a stockist for the protekuk range in Dublin? I can't say I've seen one, and their web site is not helpful about who carries their products.

Thanks

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If it is only for IT equipment I would not supply them from RCDs or RCBOs.

what's the norm for IT stuff

in schools where i've worked i've seen mostly rcbos

if it was industry or commercial i'd be veering more towards the no-rcd option and prevent the outlets use for general purpose

and maybe 'high integrity earthing' to limit shock risk due to leakage on the circuits

they have to be type A if i'm not mistaken too rather than the domeatic AC type

4 by 3.5 to stay under 15mA

I've seen that figure quoted alright , it may relate to older equipment

Thanks.

I have not much experience in this situation, but the last office job I was on a few years ago I can remember that the com's rack was always on a spur(No Rcd) same goes for a number of Irish rail jobs we did recently (554.4.1). Anyway as far as the sockets it was a Rcbo governing 4 socket outlets per circuit. I can remember a building for board gas they used the floor socket electrak supplied by a 32amp MCB, Then under each desk there was a 2mod unit with a 20amp Rcbo supplying a set of desk sockets, not ideal but that's what that company used to over come the problem.

Let us know how you sort out sounds interesting.

• Advertisement

Tuco88 wrote: »
    I have not much experience in this situation, but the last office job I was on a few years ago I can remember that the com's rack was always on a spur(No Rcd) same goes for a number of Irish rail jobs we did recently (554.4.1). Anyway as far as the sockets it was a Rcbo governing 4 socket outlets per circuit. I can remember a building for board gas they used the floor socket electrak supplied by a 32amp MCB, Then under each desk there was a 2mod unit with a 20amp Rcbo supplying a set of desk sockets, not ideal but that's what that company used to over come the problem.

Makes sense.
    I would question the logic of supplying IT equipment via an RCD / RCBO in the first place.

Advertisement