Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generator Issue

Options
  • 14-02-2014 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

We got a Wolf WP3500 Dual Voltage Generator 3.5KVA generator today. It is starting fine, engine is revving out but there is no voltage output. Checked the selector switch in each position and still no power. Opened and closed the MCB and again no output whatsoever.

I'm at a loss here to figure out what's wrong, I'd be fairly decent with electrics and got one of my friends over who is a spark to have a look at it and he can't figure out either what the story is. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I take that it is new? Starting small ,have you tried for a voltage at the brushes and are they making contact? Check the voltage regulator for an output too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Many small alternator generators can require a small voltage applied via a "kickstart" terminal to get them to activate, and once started, they are fine for a long time to come.

Is there a small socket that looks like a voltmeter socket on the alternator end of the device? If there is, then there may be a need to connect a low voltage DC battery (torch battery is usually enough) to that socket, and to the frame, to give the alternator a start.

The alternator will usually start again for quite some time on a number of occasions after that, but eventually, it needs a kickstart again, basically relates to residual magnetism in the core of the alternator, as unlike a car, there's no voltage present on startup, so if the residual magnetism is below a certain level, there's nothing to activate the electrical side of things to produce any voltage.

It is simply a case of start the engine, and bring it up to speed, and then touch a cable to the battery and the terminal, with the other end of the battery touching the alternator case, it only needs a fraction of a second normally.

It's often the case with a device that's been in storage for a period of time, and not used. It starts and runs perfectly. but there's no power output. I have a very old alternator on an old Villiers 150 CC side valve engine, it was old when I bought it in the 80's but it has got me out of trouble on more than a few occasions, even though it's only good for about 800 watts, and won't start a fridge compressor reliably.

Don't need to use it these days, for all sorts of complex reasons, I've a 30 Kva 3 phase diesel generator here with auto start, but even that needed a "poke" to get it to start providing power the first time I set it up after it had been stood for 12 months, now, with being run every few weeks, it's fine.

Another thought, did you have anything connected to it when you started it. Depending on the design of the control board, if there's an external device connected during startup, it can prevent the board from bringing the voltage on line. I've seen that happen on a couple of units over the years. Once the external load was disconnected, and the unit started again, it started to produce power OK.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Kickstart = excitation

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Speaking of generators......I'm in the middle of installing a 3 phase generator for a friend at the moment.
    I has been a while since I have been on my tools :D
    I called in a favour from a panel builder that I use extensively and he made up this simple, yet excellent IP65 change over switch.

12546545333_d572afa134.jpg

12546400165_92afd3e273.jpg

Before anyone tells me that I'm missing earths etc. I know, this is a work in progress.
    I still have to install the a cable to supply the load, insulation resistance test, phase rotation etc.

Advertisement