Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Installed Windows/ Product Key Question

• 14-02-2014 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hello,

I recently formatted my HDD and installed Windows 7 Ultimate. However, I do not have the product key for this OS. When I bought my laptop, it came with Windows 7 Home Premium. There is a product key sticker underneath the laptop but I didn't receive a Windows & HP cd when I bought the laptop as the OS was already installed.

My question is, if I format my HDD again and install Windows 7 HP, can I use the product key underneath my laptop to verify the OS?

At the moment I am getting messages prompting to verify W7 Ultimate for which I do not have the key.

Please help!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you'll have to install windows home if that's the license you have.

but check on the laptops forum because HP probably has a backup partition to re-image the drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When you boot up the laptop, keep tapping the F11 key. This should allow you to install Windows from the "hidden partition", unless you have formatted it. It would usually be the "D" drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Axidium

I am asking if I can re-use my product key. I don't need my old windows back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Yes you can use the product key for Home Premium. If you only have an ultimate dvd then you will have to create an ISO from it use the eicfg removal utility and reburn the dvd. When you then start the install you are prompted for the version you wish to install.

All the versions are on the one disc but a file ei.cfg pre-determines which version to use. The removal tool removes this.
    Quote from the readme
    Technical Details
    =================

This works by toggling the deletion bit in the UDF file table, which instructs
    the operating system to ignore the file and to treat it as if it does not exist.
    By not physically removing the file, this eliminates the need to rebuild the
    ISO, and makes this sort of fast, unintrustive patching possible. This also
    makes it possible to reverse the patch and to restore the image to its original
    state, if so desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

• Advertisement

I have installed Home Premium from an official Windows CD and entered my Product Key that was written underneath the laptop but it says it cannot be verified. What should i do?

Forget about my above post, problem has been solved. Thanks to everyone for the help on that issue. Now I have another problem. Haha

When I go in to disk management I see the below picture. How will I merge that free space with the primary partition? When I right click on the Free Space it offers a New Simple Volume. Thats it. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Right click the C: partition and choose Extend Volume

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Right click the C: partition and choose Extend

Oops, forgot to mention that it doesn't allow me to extend. Here's a image of what it shows when I right click on the C: partition.

It may not like extending the system partition. You could create a new partition in the free space and mount it into a folder in C:, rather than as a separate drive letter

• Advertisement

It may not like extending the system partition. You could create a new partition in the free space and mount it into a folder in C:, rather than as a separate drive letter

I know what you're saying. Could I do this for example. Install openSUSE on that Free Space partition?

Refer to this thread for info

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057148842

Should be plenty of space. You might also consider using VMWare etc, installing Linux as a virtual machine instance. This would eliminate any possibility of the Linux messing with the Windows boot sector

Should be plenty of space. You might also consider using VMWare etc, installing Linux as a virtual machine instance. This would eliminate any possibility of the Linux messing with the Windows boot sector

Tried it, would like a real OS though. Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Axidium wrote: »
    Oops, forgot to mention that it doesn't allow me to extend. Here's a image of what it shows when I right click on the C: partition.

Try this app :)
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_easeus_partition_master_home/

Nothing unreal about it, and not much performance overhead. Another option is run Linux from a USB stick, using YUMI etc

What drivers do I need to install for PCI Device and SM Bus Controller?

Find the vendor and device ID from device manager
    Put the device ID into http://www.pcidatabase.com/ in the search devices box. You'll get a list, probably, choose the one with the correct vendor ID

You don't mention the maker, but a quick Google of the device name you quote suggests maybe an HP/Compaq/Lenovo

Good idea to make sure you have the mobo chipset driver installed first

http://www.uniblue.com/software/driverscanner/ may help you too, but don't leave it installed after all your devices are recognised

Advertisement