Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which half-ironman has most entrants?

Options
  • 14-02-2014 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to select a half distance triathlon to do later this year. So far on my radar are
    - Shadowman Co. Westmeath 3rd August
    - Ireman Co. Down 17 August
    - The Lost Sheep Co. Kerry 30th August

Can anyone recommend one over the other? Which is the biggest event?

Are there any others around the same time that I should consider?
    Any tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Lost Sheep without a doubt- fantastic race, fantastic place, fantastic scenery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I'm trying to select a half distance triathlon to do later this year. So far on my radar are
    - Shadowman Co. Westmeath 3rd August
    - Ireman Co. Down 17 August
    - The Lost Sheep Co. Kerry 30th August

Can anyone recommend one over the other? Which is the biggest event?

Are there any others around the same time that I should consider?
    Any tips appreciated.

Lost sheep is one of the best races in the country.
    Being national champs it will also have the most competitive field of those above also and is by far the more challenging and scenic course of them also.

Haven't done Shadowman was put off by the reg one day, race next day, awards the day after.

I did the Groomsport half, enjoyed it but a few off putting things of no prizes and traffic lights you must stop at if red on bike course (3 laps).

Lost Sheep by far is my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Great, thanks. I think I'll knock Ireman off the list. Shadowman is tempting due to the location and easier course. The Lost Sheep looks pretty tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Great, thanks. I think I'll knock Ireman off the list. Shadowman is tempting due to the location and easier course. The Lost Sheep looks pretty tough.

Shadowman very flat fast course. Found it well organised. They changed registration to the morning of race which helped. May not be as established as some others but couldn't fault it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Ive registered with a buddy for Ireman and have heard good reports. (Although nothing about traffic lights, that is not great). I Bumped into a guy during a fitting night over at Wheelworx and he has done 2IM and 2 70.3s (so seemed to know his stuff), had done Shadowman in prep for a bigger race last year and said it was the worst event he has ever done, from race brief to course outlay he said it all went wrong. Buoys were wrongly positioned and racers were given conflicting directions. The bike route was largely un-patrolled by marshals, all in all I had that pencilled in for this year as I love tri-athlone but went for Ireman after hearing all of this. Hope I've made the right choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Therapysucks

Pm1e wrote: »
    Ive registered with a buddy for Ireman and have heard good reports. (Although nothing about traffic lights, that is not great). I Bumped into a guy during a fitting night over at Wheelworx and he has done 2IM and 2 70.3s (so seemed to know his stuff), had done Shadowman in prep for a bigger race last year and said it was the worst event he has ever done, from race brief to course outlay he said it all went wrong. Buoys were wrongly positioned and racers were given conflicting directions. The bike route was largely un-patrolled by marshals, all in all I had that pencilled in for this year as I love tri-athlone but went for Ireman after hearing all of this. Hope I've made the right choice.

The Shadowman swim was in a flat lake on a calm day. You swam out to a buoy and came back to the start, once for the half and twice for the full. Couldn't have been easier.

The bike was around the same lake. Once for the half, twice for the full. Again, couldn't have been easier. True, there weren't many marshalls on the route but familiarising yourself with the course was the work of minutes.

I did the full distance, my first time going that distance and possibly last, and I absolutely loved the whole experience. It was obviously a first-year event because there were teething problems but nothing that shouldn't be ironed out this year. It's flat and fast and smooth. Have also done The Lost Sheep and agree with other posters that it's a spectacular route and really well organised, and much more demanding than the Shadowman. All depends on what you're after. Can't comment on Ireman, never done it.

Advertisement