Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for driveway

• 14-02-2014 1:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me a ballpark for surfacing a front garden with a tarmac driveway.

Details are:

: About 25 by 30 foot.
    : Its currently about half grass and half concrete, so that needs to be taken out and I guess some kind of hardcore layer.
    : I'm looking for some kind of a trim all around and keeping a small amount of the grass with some shaping.
    : Tarmac surface - strong enough for a family car.

Much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Where you from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Dublin - northside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

3000 euro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Phoebas wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a ballpark for surfacing a front garden with a tarmac driveway.

Details are:

: About 25 by 30 foot.
    : Its currently about half grass and half concrete, so that needs to be taken out and I guess some kind of hardcore layer.
    : I'm looking for some kind of a trim all around and keeping a small amount of the grass with some shaping.
    : Tarmac surface - strong enough for a family car.

Much appreciated. :)

Dont forget that you will need Planning Permission for this now.
    You need to do it legally or else the council inspectors will be knocking on your door demanding to see the proof of you going to Dublin City Councils offices over on Wood Quay to get approval for it.
    A city council roads division manager will quite possibly call out to view your existing driveway your garden too. You will also need to get a solicitor and an affidavit if the existing driveway is there over 7 years and no planning was put in for the original driveway.

You will also need to apply to the council for the addition of a new driveway dishing for the new driveway.That will cost you a further 565 euro and you pay that to the DCC payment office over on the ground floor of their offices on Wood Quay.
    The council will then dig up public pathway outside your house and install the new driveway dishing about 2 weeks after you pay the money.
    I speak for recent experience of doing all the above.
    All in cost for 53m2 block paved driveway was 4000 euro.

• Advertisement

jpb14 wrote: »
    You will also need to apply to the council for the addition of a new driveway dishing for the new driveway.That will cost you a further 565 euro and you pay that to the DCC payment office over on the ground floor of their offices on Wood Quay.
    The council will then dig up public pathway outside your house and install the new driveway dishing about 2 weeks after you pay the money.
    I speak for recent experience of doing all the above.
    All in cost for 53m2 block paved driveway was 4000 euro.
    A driveway dishing is the lip on the footpath, is that right?
    There is already one of those in place - why would I need the council to come out and dig up the path? :confused:

A driveway dishing is the lip on the footpath, is that right?
    There is already one of those in place - why would I need the council to come out and dig up the path? :confused:
    A dishing is where the path outside is dug up and a "slope" is concreted in for the car to drive up and into the driveway.
    To have this done (if not allready done) will cost 565 euro and the council can only do it,as its their property (ie a public footpath).
    If you want to extend an existing driveway dishing for a wider driveway then you need to go and get permission from the council and pay them to do it.
    You also need to apply to the council to dig up a garden even for the purpose of widening an allready existing driveway.

Some useful reading for the OP with regards planning permission and planning application for a new driveway or altering an existing driveway.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/PlanningApplication/Documents/ParkingCarsinFrontGardensAdvisoryBooklet.pdf

"Please note that if you carry out development which has not been
    authorised you may be subject to enforcement action by Dublin City
    Council to reinstate any alterations you may have undertaken"

jpb14 wrote: »
    Some useful reading for the OP with regards planning permission and planning application for a new driveway or altering an existing driveway.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/PlanningApplication/Documents/ParkingCarsinFrontGardensAdvisoryBooklet.pdf

"Please note that if you carry out development which has not been
    authorised you may be subject to enforcement action by Dublin City
    Council to reinstate any alterations you may have undertaken"
    Thanks for that - I'll give it a good read.

Thanks for that - I'll give it a good read.

I dealt with a very nice and sound roads division manager recently.Came out to my house to inspect existing driveway and garden.
    He advised me what to do and where to go and how wide I could go with driveway that would be approved by DCC.Got a bigger driveway than what I was originally wanting,so was well happy.But still kept hold of a nice garden and my beloved trees and plants.
    I went and did it all legit over in DCC offices.The council lads came and dug up the old dishing outside my house at 8am on Friday morning and gave me a complete brand new dishing the full width of the new wider driveway on the Saturday morning.Got a payment reciept and cert from DCC planning office to show that everything was and is legit for the future and if ever the house goes up for sale,which it wont.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Would the OP not be in Fingal County Council area? Any contractor can rearrange the entrance to council spec so long as he has the relevant documents and a road opening licence.

€4000 seems very excessive for 53m2 of permeable paving thats over €75m2, can you elaborate a bit more, did the council do all the work or did you hire a private company/contractor.

macadam wrote: »
    Would the OP not be in Fingal County Council area? Any contractor can rearrange the entrance to council spec so long as he has the relevant documents and a road opening licence.

€4000 seems very excessive for 53m2 of permeable paving thats over €75m2, can you elaborate a bit more, did the council do all the work or did you hire a private company/contractor.

Private contracting firm was hired and did the driveway work paving once I obtained planning approval.The 4k price also included new taller and thicker front boundary walls and entrance pillars and rendering of all walls and pillars.Forgot to say that in previous post.
    DCC look after North Dublin to a certain extent and boundary line and zone,then its Fingal CC who look after the rest of North Dublin.I went through DCC for planning approval and also to get the old dishing dug up and then a larger wider dishing installed.Have to say the DCC lads were very efficient and did a nice job.

I'm in DCC.
    I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm not looking to extend the opening at all or make any changes to the footpath. I'm looking to replace a concrete driveway to tarmac and extend it replacing part of an existing lawn with tarmac.

I'm in DCC.
    I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm not looking to extend the opening at all or make any changes to the footpath. I'm looking to replace a concrete driveway to tarmac and extend it replacing part of an existing lawn with tarmac.

You will need to speak to DCC then.You are changing the use of a garden to one for use of parking so you do need to speak to them and get approval.Thats the law and you are better to do it legit than have some neighbour rat you out or have a DCC roads division manager or inspector pass by and note that the garden is now suddenly a larger driveway.

"Planning Permission
    Planning Permission is required for the alteration of a front garden in
    order to provide car parking by creating a new access, or by the
    material widening (i.e. significant widening) of an existing access.
    Proposals for off-street parking in the front gardens of single
    dwellings in mainly residential areas will not be permitted where
    residents rely on on-street car parking and there is a strong demand
    for such parking.
    Application forms and Vehicular Access Guidelines can be obtained
    from Dublin City Council's Planning Department"

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

€2900 - Similar size, done before Christmas

Advertisement