Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭WillFerrell93

Mark.. wrote: »
    What is the "pass" percentage?? How many do you need right in each test

Basically the tests will be marked out of 800.. Think pass mark was around 350 so you need to get over the 350 on each test to pass.. Then depending on your score you will be put in an order of merit with people with best scores first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Basically the tests will be marked out of 800.. Think pass mark was around 350 so you need to get over the 350 on each test to pass.. Then depending on your score you will be put in an order of merit with people with best scores first

Will is right, you need to get 350 out of 800 to pass which is 43.75%, so if you get 44% for both you're through but if you get 100% in one and 40% in the other you're out of the competition. There is also no negative marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

And say come stage 3. If you pass stage 3 supervised test but you have more questions wrong than in the stage 2 test. How will they decide if you are a cheater or not?

And say come stage 3. If you pass stage 3 supervised test but you have more questions wrong than in the stage 2 test. How will they decide if you are a cheater or not?

It's put like this from PAS;

"If your performance on these supervised re-tests is outside the expected scoring range of your unsupervised test result, it will call into question the validity of your scores from Stages 1 & 2. Should this occur you will be excluded from the competition and your application will receive no further consideration."

You don't actually get your actual results after stage 3, it just reads as verified.

So we won't know and there s a bit of leeway?

• Advertisement

So we won't know and their is a bit of leeway?

We won't(didn't) know if we improved or dis-improved slightly, they probably expect you to do the same within 5% (A Complete guess-timation) either way of your first score, I know some appealed their results and were successful and made it through to stage 4 after their appeal... but I don't know if that was 1 person out of 50 appeals that made it or 1 person out of 100 appeals so to ask if there is leeway I mean I couldn't really say and I suspect that is why they don't give out your exact results for the re-tests.

Ok grand thanks KIIDD!!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JoeyJoe93

We won't(didn't) know if we improved or dis-improved slightly, they probably expect you to do the same within 5% (A Complete guess-timation) either way of your first score, I know some appealed their results and were successful and made it through to stage 4 after their appeal... but I don't know if that was 1 person out of 50 appeals that made it or 1 person out of 100 appeals so to ask if there is leeway I mean I couldn't really say and I suspect that is why they don't give out your exact results for the re-tests.

I know it's early days yet but can I ask, is stage 3 held regionally? Or would we have to go up to Dublin?
    Not that I'd be put off by it but it would be easier to perform as good as I can at home rather than doing the tests after three hours with ionrod eireann and scrambling around with taxis etc.

It's all in Dublin in the public jobs office

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

So if we make it past stage 2 we're a big step closer to the interview (depending on our scoring), I mean is stage 3 is just to verify our result?

So we're not competing in stage 3 like we are in stage 2? :)

• Advertisement

VicMack wrote: »
    So if we make it past stage 2 we're a big step closer to the interview (depending on our scoring), I mean is stage 3 is just to verify our result?

So we're not competing in stage 3 like we are in stage 2? :)

Well not in the aptitude tests but there are 2 other tests in stage 3;

"Stage 3 Assessment Centre will comprise the following:

(a) re-test of the Verbal Reasoning and Inductive/Logical Reasoning tests,
    (b) Job Simulation Exercise
    (c) Report Writing Exercise"

Well not in the aptitude tests but there are 2 other tests in stage 3;

"Stage 3 Assessment Centre will comprise the following:

(a) re-test of the Verbal Reasoning and Inductive/Logical Reasoning tests,
    (b) Job Simulation Exercise
    (c) Report Writing Exercise"

Thanks :) Where you long waiting for stage 3 after doing stage 2? (Sorry for all the questions!)

VicMack wrote: »
    Thanks :) Where you long waiting for stage 3 after doing stage 2? (Sorry for all the questions!)

Yes, I had a year wait between being told I had met the qualifying standards at stage 2 and getting an email/publicjobs.ie message saying they had reached my number being brought forward to stage 3.

It can be a very long process with varying lengths of wait times between stages, my advice is to focus on the stage directly ahead of you and when waiting for results or to be called to the next stage try as best you can to keep it to the back of your mind and stay busy - but admittedly this is easier said than done!

Best of luck to those still to do their stage 2!

Yes, I had a year wait between being told I had met the qualifying standards at stage 2 and getting an email/publicjobs.ie message saying they had reached my number being brought forward to stage 3.

It can be a very long process with varying lengths of wait times between stages, my advice is to focus on the stage directly ahead of you and when waiting for results or to be called to the next stage try as best you can to keep it to the back of your mind and stay busy - but admittedly this is easier said than done!

Best of luck to those still to do their stage 2!

You're very good with all the answers.
    Is it safe to assume that the other two tests in stage 3 will have familiarisation material sent out to us the same as before?
    Sounds like a hell of a wait but anything worth having is worth working for.

JoeyJoe93 wrote: »
    You're very good with all the answers.
    Is it safe to assume that the other two tests in stage 3 will have familiarisation material sent out to us the same as before?
    Sounds like a hell of a wait but anything worth having is worth working for.

Oh yea PAS will give you familiarisation information on everything, and if anything isn't clear there's plenty of us checking in here who are further along in the process to try help if we can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paulblocks

Is anyone having difficulties with publicjobs.ie?

I'm getting a message SSL server probably obsolete

Cmere I was just talking to a fella involved with the training and he was saying that it's looking that a lot of people haven't done stage 2 cause they have moved on from it. It's look on like competition will be a bit easier this time.

paulblocks wrote: »

Just logged on there and had no issue...

Cmere I was just talking to a fella involved with the training and he was saying that it's looking that a lot of people haven't done stage 2 cause they have moved on from it. It's look on like competition will be a bit easier this time.

That's not very surprising - a lot could have done it as a 'sure may as well give at go' or with the civil service competitions since and the jobs market improving in the 18months since, people have decided not to go ahead with the gards....

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jwm85

paulblocks wrote: »

My brother had this problem too

Try log on from your phone via 3G by going to
    www.publicjobs.ie (don't click the candidate portal link from google search)

from there, get your login details from your messages

The test website is https://myassessment.ondemand.shl.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

In templemore was it ? How many have done it to date ?

mycro89 wrote: »
    In templemore was it ? How many have done it to date ?

Well the OOM (order of merit), which you are placed on after you pass the interview stage, has reach mid 800s as far as I have heard from people on here.

Not all of those will have or will progress to Templemore as they still have to pass their medicals and physicals and vetting....

There may be more than mid 800 people on that OOM though it's only that I've only heard upwards of that figure so far here and none higher yet.

(Remember that mid 800's figure dropped from the 3100 from Band 1 who passed stage 2, {Band 1 was originally 5000})

Just did my tests there, there was a problem Google Chrome according to the guy from public jobs so I did it on firefox.

I found the inductive easier than I thought it would be, and the verbal wasn't too difficult either but I ran out of time near the very end :(

Fingers crossed and hopefully all will go well. How did everyone else got on that did it today?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Maria79

Hi can you tell me is the inductive much the same as the sample we were sent? And the verbal? I find the inductive very hard! Going to do mine tonight! Did pas tell you bout the problem with Google crome or did you encounter it ?! Tanx for feed back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Damo1988

Finding the Inductive practice questions near impossible! Any easier in the real exam?

Yes they are.

Maria79 wrote: »
    Hi can you tell me is the inductive much the same as the sample we were sent? And the verbal? I find the inductive very hard! Going to do mine tonight! Did pas tell you bout the problem with Google crome or did you encounter it ?! Tanx for feed back!

Hey, I found the inductive test to be easier than the samples sent out!

The verbal was okay, it's not complicated, but I felt pushed for time, 30 questions = 17 mins. I was 2 questions away from finishing it but I double checked my answers as I went along rather than rushing for the sake of finishing it!

As for doing test, it was a bit messy. Chrome didn't work so I downloaded Firefox, then when I went to do the test it told me I need the latest flash player also, so make sure you're up to date with those two.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on :)

Thanks a lot will let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublingarda

Hi Everyone,

Just joined there.

I completed my online tests and nothing stood out as too difficult but u just never know.

Could someone confirm for me that when they completed thein tests , they just logged out and got no confirmation email???.

I just feel I haven't done something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 IrelandRos

You would have got a green tick mark showing the test was completed, after the time lapsed at the end of each test, no other confirmation really, no email or message from public jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 IrelandRos

Hi Everyone,

Just joined there.

I completed my online tests and nothing stood out as too difficult but u just never know.

Could someone confirm for me that when they completed thein tests , they just logged out and got no confirmation email???.

I just feel I haven't done something

You would have got a green tick mark showing the test was completed, after the time lapsed at the end of each test, no other confirmation really, no email or message from public jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tara321

Done my test last night, found verbal ok wasn't difficult anyway, inductive was hard enough I thought wouldn't be my strong point anyway so bit up and down, here's to hoping anyway, plenty of other opportunities out there lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublingarda

Did anyone else get an email from public jobs??

Can't log in since yesterday to read it??

Is it just a reminder to complete the test??

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jwm85

I think it's just a reminder. My brother got one yesterday.

I got it aswell even thou i got my test done....nearly crapped my pants!!

• Advertisement

Don't worry it's just a reminder. I did my tests weeks ago and still got one. PAS also sent the same message in a straight email. So keep an eye on your emails.

And by the way I get an error message often enough when I sign in, I just press the home link on the top of the page and can get normal access then if that's any help.

I just did my tests there. Tough enough, time is the worst. Didn't get the last 5 questions of verbal finished but there not expecting us to anyhow. Inductive so so, but def not as hard as samples sent out.
    Overall I don't really know how I did tbh, but they say unless your in the top 70/80% you may forget about it. Anyhow back to the real job now!!:)

Also if I get the chance to sit the test inthe 3rd stage I know I'd do much better, I was flying practicing them on paper but when it comes to doing them on the pc, I just get mixed up! Good luck to all left to do it.

Here's the email just in case.

This reminder e-mail is being sent to all candidates scheduled to take
    their Aptitude tests (both Verbal Reasoning and Logical/Inductive Reasoning
    Test) before 12 noon Wednesday, 9th September 2015.

If you HAVE already completed both of the above tests, please disregard
    this message.

If you have NOT completed both of the tests you have until 12 noon on
    Wednesday 9th September 2015 to do so.

If you have NOT received the e-mail containing the link to your Aptitude
    Tests, please check your publicjobs message board as instructed previously.

If you are having difficulties accessing the tests you should contact

or phone 1800 947 745 (9am-6pm).

Regards
    Public Appointments Service

In order to post I had to remove the email addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Also if I get the chance to sit the test inthe 3rd stage I know I'd do much better, I was flying practicing them on paper but when it comes to doing them on the pc, I just get mixed up! Good luck to all left to do it.

Stage 3 is done on pc's in a computer room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 kessyj92

Any 1 any idea if when people are going to hear about stage 3 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Well I think that's me out, very tuff. The jobs prep test was good but not worth the 50€, it helped some what in that I got most of the inductive reasoning down to 2 answers but didn't help much after that. The inductive was tuff, not sure why people thought it was easy, on most questions two answers could easily have been the answer looking for the stubble difference.

Verbal, was a disaster got the questions answered but really have my doubts about answers.

All in all very tuff test. :(

Our faith will be finalised within the next 2 hours.............

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kessyj92

Really that soon is it not open until 12 to do the teSt? ?

kessyj92 wrote: »

Think it was a typo there that should have read 'fate' not 'faith'....

Autocorrect is a b*tch ha!

kessyj92 wrote: »

Well, if it closes at 12 your place will be determined and finalised as no one else will be doing the tests from 12 on wards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Good God,

I left it to the last minute by accident. I planned to sit it during weekend, and forgot and remembered about 9am this morning, deadline at 12pm.

Completed fully the verbal reasoning, but the logical inductive reasoning i only got 16/24 as spent too much time on trying get them right and being certain.

I'd imagine the third stage is really just to verify it is you and no cheating has occurred

And that's a wrap..........

I remember the site recommending using paper and pen for the tests. I found this confused things further, took more time, and really got awkward with the mouse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement