Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

At least mid march isnt far away and they tend to realease the results a tad earlier than expected so not long to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Right, it's time to push the button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Devil08 wrote: »
    Right, it's time to push the button.

good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Andy 88 wrote: »
    Just finished found it hard.. Glad it's done all the same.. Not hopeful at all..! what will be will be..!!! Best of luck everyone
    ruserious wrote: »
    Did mine today. I found the verbal much easier than round 1 but I found the logic quite tougher.

I answered everything in time. I scored in the top 100 last time out. I can't see that happening again but here's to round 3!!!

The layout of the verbal was definitely more user-friendly than stage one. However, the exam itself was quite a bit harder imo. The wording of the questions was a bit confusing to me. I obviously won't say why, as there are people yet to do their test, but tbh I did find the verbal quite tricky.

I am satisfied overall. Always going to get the feeling that I could have done better, but what ya gonna do?

In any case, I'm feeling a lot better than I did after stage 1, and I was pleasantly surprised after stage one, so here's hoping.

EDIT: Oh yeah, timewise, I got a bit stuck for time towards the end of both exams and had to guess two or three answers in each test.

Finished! Delighted with the verbal, I struggled with it in practice tests but the real one was very fair and I even had time to spare.
    The logical I found quite hard and I was short on time at the end. Think I did ok in it though. Glad I practiced it, I would have really struggled otherwise.
    I think a pint is in order tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Just finished the verbal. It wasn't as bad as some say. I thought it was fair. Gonna hit the logical now - not particularly looking forward to it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

redout wrote: »
    Just finished the verbal. It wasn't as bad as some say. I thought it was fair. Gonna hit the logical now - not particularly looking forward to it :p

Best of luck and relax, take a few deep breaths, you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Done and dusted. Finger's crossed from here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 miseenplace

Massive sense of relief to know that I did the exam and that part is done and dusted. Finally I can stop worrying about the exam and go back to worrying about the results now!!! Pretty sure this campaign will have me like a nervous wreck by the time it's finished...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

Aced the inductive part though on the last question I figured it out on the last 4 seconds clicked the answer but it times out before I could click next lol :(

Verbal was hard i thought I clicked cannot say loads

• Advertisement

mrDerek wrote: »
    Aced the inductive part though on the last question I figured it out on the last 4 seconds clicked the answer but it times out before I could click next lol :(

Verbal was hard i thought I clicked cannot say loads

With the verbal I think the main problem is just not knowing how we did. You're obviously going to know whether you spotted a rule or not in the inductive, but with the verbal, you're basically asked whether or not you agree with the company's interpretation of the passge and unfortunately there's no way of knowing that :mad:

I thought the logical was tough. Ran out of time and had to guess the last few. Probably should have spent more time practicing the logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 stargazer9

I just finished it there. As usual I left it to the last possible minute to start and had myself in knots with worry.
    I was happy with the verbal. I thought it was easier than the practice tests, which I found very difficult and only got 15/30 correct.
    There were a couple of questions where I wasn't 100% clear on the difference between false and cannot say, but I hope I did ok.

The inductive scared the bejayzus out of me. I ran out of time, only completed 19/24 and several of those were wild guesses. My head is pounding after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

I really hope that my computer clock of 12.03 when I finished it was wrong...

I really hope that my computer clock of 12.03 when I finished it was wrong...

I think they kind of hinted that if you have your last exam started by 12, then you should be grand, even though it's technically outside the 'exam window'.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

So all we do now is wait and see and while I know its not good to be thinking of it I know it will be in the back of mind for the next 2 weeks or whenever we get the results.
    Just a quick question about Stage 3(not getting ahead of myself, just asking):Where would the written exams be held?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Aiel wrote: »
    So all we do now is wait and see and while I know its not good to be thinking of it I know it will be in the back of mind for the next 2 weeks or whenever we get the results.
    Just a quick question about Stage 3(not getting ahead of myself, just asking):Where would the written exams be held?

Rhuidean

P.S That's a really bad joke, please ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

They'll more than likely be held in the office of the PAS, Abbey Street in Dublin (along the Jervis Luas), that's where they hold most of their assessments and interviews. Obviously depends on numbers and the capacity of the rooms etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

djor88 wrote: »
    They'll more than likely be held in the office of the PAS, Abbey Street in Dublin (along the Jervis Luas), that's where they hold most of their assessments and interviews. Obviously depends on numbers and the capacity of the rooms etc..

I would have thought if 1,000 go forward, they might hold them in regional centres in the main cities as it would be easier for close watching each candidate.

I see complaints from many people ranging from Garda reservists and those who undertook an expensive course that they didn't make it to round 2.

What they don't realise is, those qualities will not benefit you until the interview stage.

Agonising wait now until the next results come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

So the results for stage 2, will they get the average from the test at stage 1 and stage 2 and rerank accordingly then?

Or is it just based on the performance at stage 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

mycro89 wrote: »
    So the results for stage 2, will they get the average from the test at stage 1 and stage 2 and rerank accordingly then?

No, it says your score in stage one will have no bearing going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

Based just on stage two.

No, it says your score in stage one will have no bearing going forward.

Thanks for that!!

Stage 2 is based on Stage 2 alone, if your successful and advance to stage 3, the results of Stage 3 will be compared to your results of Stage 1 + 2, if your score of Stage 3 doesn't meet or match your average results of 1+2 they can take into consideration of cheating.

billie1b wrote: »
    Stage 2 is based on Stage 2 alone, if your successful and advance to stage 3, the results of Stage 3 will be compared to your results of Stage 1 + 2, if your score of Stage 3 doesn't meet or match your average results of 1+2 they can take into consideration of cheating.

Oh right, and say if they suspect someone cheated then, will they be given a second chance or automatically removed from the process?

• Advertisement

Rothmans wrote: »
    I think they kind of hinted that if you have your last exam started by 12, then you should be grand, even though it's technically outside the 'exam window'.
    Nope. Got a message saying deadline expired even though I had finished the exams. Finished them at 12.03 so I'm out. Good luck to the rest of ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Nope. Got a message saying deadline expired even though I had finished the exams. Finished them at 12.03 so I'm out. Good luck to the rest of ye.

Are you serious ?? Did you ring them ?

Jesus, I'm surprised they were so strict.

Did you run into any technical difficulties which caused you to start late, or did you just mismanage your time?

The familiarisation booklet states:

"You will be able to take these tests at any time between 12 noon on 18th February 2014 and 12 noon on 21st February 2014. Tests should be completed in one sitting; therefore you are advised to set aside approximately 70 minutes to take the tests (this also includes time for instructions and working through example questions). Once 12 noon on 21st February 2014 has passed, you will not be able to commence the test. If you do not complete both tests in the testing window, your application will be deemed withdrawn."

To me that reads as though you should be ok once you have begun the test before noon?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Malarkey101

If you do not complete both tests in the testing window, your application will be deemed withdrawn

Test wasnt completed by noon which was the close of the testing window so it clearly says you would be withdrawn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

From the way it was worded in the booklet, it would suggest that its fine as long as you start before noon. I would seriously argue my case if I were you, based on the wording they used.

"You will be able to take these tests at any time between 12 noon on 18th February 2014 and 12 noon on 21st February 2014. Tests should be completed in one sitting; therefore you are advised to set aside approximately 70 minutes to take the tests (this also includes time for instructions and working through example questions). Once 12 noon on 21st February 2014 has passed, you will not be able to commence the test. If you do not complete both tests in the testing window, your application will be deemed withdrawn."

To me that reads as though you should be ok once you have begun the test before noon?

Cheers lad, I don't expect much out of it but it's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Just a quick question.

When completing stage 2 last night, it took a lot to get into the website with some refreshing etc for the page to work. I eventually got it to work and got the two green ticks when the tests where completed.

Do you get a confirmation mail or anything? I havent received anything and nervous because I had trouble accessing the exam that it didnt register.

Oh right, and say if they suspect someone cheated then, will they be given a second chance or automatically removed from the process?

I believe they allow a bit of leeway for nerves on the day as it supervised but if there is a major difference you can be asked to resit or you'll just be told you aren't advancing.

Do people think all 5,000 would have done stage 2?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking first. But on closer inspection, it explicitly states 'if you do not complete both tests in the testing window, your application will be deemed withdrawn'.

Obviously, therefore, 12.03 is outside the testing window.

It is true that they say that the tests can be started anytime before noon. However, it also states that they must be finished by noon.

i.e., If you began your test at 11.50, youmust have it completed and submitted within 10 minutes, notwithstanding the fact that you would have otherwise gotten the full 17/25 mins had youdone the test well in advance.

Do people think all 5,000 would have done stage 2?

No, but sure didn't people on here get emails allowing them a second opportunity in stage 1? Bit of a sham.

Why leave it so late!!??

No, but sure didn't people on here get emails allowing them a second opportunity in stage 1? Bit of a sham.

What? Do you mean of they were in band 2 or 3 they got to repeat stage 1? Im guessing im taking this up wrong

Why leave it so late!!??

Maybe work issues? Id love to know out of the 5000, how many actually completed stage 2

• Advertisement

cruais wrote: »
    What? Do you mean of they were in band 2 or 3 they got to repeat stage 1? Im guessing im taking this up wrong

No, they applied but never bothered with the sample tests and were invited to do the tests after the deadline had passed.

No, they applied but never bothered with the sample tests and were invited to do the tests after the deadline had passed.

Thats very unfair. Once your out, you should remain out. Its not as if they are struggling for numbers.

Maybe work issues? Id love to know out of the 5000, how many actually completed stage 2

Work issues? I work 12 hours a day. We had 4 days to do it. Unless u work 24 hours a day no excuses sorry

Thats very unfair. Once your out, you should remain out. Its not as if they are struggling for numbers.

An abundant demand, it is highly unlikely they will give applicants a second chance here on in.....

Work issues? I work 12 hours a day. We had 4 days to do it. Unless u work 24 hours a day no excuses sorry

Alot would have even taken days off. I've said it before, but there's a good chance that the mid-week testing window was intentionally awkward.

That's not very fair, for stage one some people didn't bother doing some of the tests and they got a second chance to do them after the time window was up. I read that here somewhere at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

want2b wrote: »
    That's not very fair, for stage one some people didn't bother doing some of the tests and they got a second chance to do them after the time window was up. I read that here somewhere at the time

If people cannot stick to clear instructions when applying to the Guards, then how can you expect them to when a member. These tests are examining more than our mental capacity.

Alot would have even taken days off. I've said it before, but there's a good chance that the mid-week testing window was intentionally awkward.

Well had to call sick to work today. Was explaining a few pages ago, how the page wouldn't load for me all evening yesterday. Rang in sick with the intention of getting up early today to complete stage 2. Decided to give it one last refresh just as I put the phone down and hey presto it worked!

But you are right, im sure people have sacrificed things to get the test done.

ruserious wrote: »
    If people cannot stick to clear instructions when applying to the Guards, then how can you expect them to when a member. These tests are examining more than our mental capacity.

That person might have a great reason for being 3 min's late.

• Advertisement

want2b wrote: »

We don't know the logic as to why people were asked to resist stage 1, were they border pass-fail along with other applicants ?

Advertisement