Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

air tightness

Options
  • 14-02-2014 6:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi all.

Received an estimate quote today for installation of all air tight membranes, Windows, doors, ceilings and blower test on 1650 sq ft dormer bungalow using siga membranes

Cost €3650

How does this compare with todays prices?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

is it a newbuild or old house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

HoofRocks wrote: »
    Hi all.

Received an estimate quote today for installation of all air tight membranes, Windows, doors, ceilings and blower test on 1650 sq ft dormer bungalow using siga membranes

Cost €3650

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭HoofRocks

Sorry should have specified it is a new build

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭joeirish

Hi all.

Cost €3650

I got one this week for a 150sqm house for 6850. Airtight on a wide cavity wall build. Not sure what your spec is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

joeirish wrote: »
    I got one this week for a 150sqm house for 6850. Airtight on a wide cavity wall build. Not sure what your spec is though.

I hope that included dinner & a bucket of lube

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

I was reading somewhere else if you have chimneys its a waste of time,as all the air will come down the chimney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Hi all.

Cost €3650

About the same as I got for a 3000sq ft hse, windows, door and roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I was reading somewhere else if you have chimneys its a waste of time,as all the air will come down the chimney

or the finishing trades and second fixers punch so many holes in the fabric that it ends up being the same as if not done. Electricians are the worst. Do the hand test when they are finished - if theres air whistling out of the sockets, someone has been naughty. Happens more than you'd ever believe. Also remember that the good materials for sealing are very spendy, so if a quote is suspiciously low, be suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Pm sent joeirish

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Where were you reading this? And what has it got to do with air-tightness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Its not the chimney thats the issue its whats at the start of the stack ie. Stove etc and the connection to the flue

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭HoofRocks

About the same as I got for a 3000sq ft hse, windows, door and roof.

Can you please pm details if the company you used

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Can you please pm details if the company you used

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

Pm here also please.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭PROJECT K

best quote i recieved (out of 5 professional contractors) was €3900 for 270sqm new build two-storey including 2No. air tightness tests - so i would say that you are in the right ballpark...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭joeirish

That price was also for all the insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Hi Folks - I have noticed that everyone replying has a new build - what does air tightness mean for a house built in 2006 - can I do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

OO7FITZY wrote: »
    Hi Folks - I have noticed that everyone replying has a new build - what does air tightness mean for a house built in 2006 - can I do anything?

Yes, but you won't know until it's tested

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

or the finishing trades and second fixers punch so many holes in the fabric that it ends up being the same as if not done. Electricians are the worst. Do the hand test when they are finished - if theres air whistling out of the sockets, someone has been naughty. Happens more than you'd ever believe. Also remember that the good materials for sealing are very spendy, so if a quote is suspiciously low, be suspicious.
    That's why professional builders fit airtight membrane up to 1/3 in to the insulation and leave that 1/3 of top layer for communications, but there's just a handful of builders who know how to do it right!

You can update your house and make it up to date standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭OO7FITZY

ok so had a read of a few websites and for a currently occupied home I can't see exactly what substantial improvements can be made apart from the obvious removal of draughts or am I simplifying it?

do you think it is worthwhile investigating it further?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Yes.

Imo and experience, lack of air tightness is the number 1 reason why houses, in our mild but windy climate, are cold, uncomfortable and costly to heat. This holds true for even recently built houses and renovations where no thought has been given to the subject.

ok so had a read of a few websites and for a currently occupied home I can't see exactly what substantial improvements can be made apart from the obvious removal of draughts or am I simplifying it?

This membrane prevents from mould in the way it don't let air condensate inside the insulation and/or other parts of structure.

Advertisement