Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 in Seattle this summer

Options
  • 14-02-2014 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, my friend and I are doing a J1 to Seattle in June. Were both from Ireland and thought we'd set up this thread for anyone else that might be heading out that way this summer. If anyone has any tips or help about accommodation and jobs in Seattle it would be much appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

Seattle in the summer is awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

University of Washington is huge and may have some summer accommodation for overseas students.

Dunno how you find out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

It's probably too early to inquire about summer housing on campus. Might try in April when students have an idea if they need summer classes or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mclouglu

Hey,

I'm also heading out to Seattle this summer!

As far as I've heard it seems craigslist is one of the best ways to find accommodation and work. Haven't had much time to really look into it yet but there seems to be a fair amount going in the U district for June-Aug at $400-600 a month. There are also a few hostels that have some work-for-stay set ups.

Boards has some other posts that give some good advice on places to work and stay, although they're a couple of years old.

When do you arrive in Seattle? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cgoulding

@mclouglu Hey,

Me and my friend arrive on the 7th of June, we have also been looking on craigslist, we have booked a hostel near the space needle for the first few nights. Were hoping to get somewhere in the U-district too. How about you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I would go for craigslist in terms of finding stuff - we found it useful when finding a place. I actually live in Seattle - but only since March! - so if there's any questions that a resident might be able to help with I'll do my best.

As J-1ers, I'd figure U-district would be good for you - it's where UW is and has a very studenty vibe. Seattle is, so far, awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Summer is gorgeous in Seattle. Its a generally cooler climate much ike Ireland but it does have much more reliably nice summers. You can be pretty much certain that its going to be Hot(ish) for july, August and most of September. June can be variable. It can rain a lot in June. Estimates and predictions are for a Hot Summer this year though.

Its also a lot less Humid than Ireland, so when it is hot you dont get that clammy sweaty heat. Daytime temps never get much over the 80's, but there is usually a heatwave for a week or two where it'll be into the 90's or higher.

We're going to make the news this summer too because the final phase of pot legalization will take place when all the shops, coffeehouses, etc open. In June I believe. That would be an interesting summer job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mclouglu

@Cgoulding Hey,

I've also booked a hostel in the center for the first few nights, i'm guessing it's probably the same, CityHostel? I arrive the 2nd of June and was going to figure it out from there. Although the U-district seems like a good choice with a lot of places going for the summer. If you and your friend would be interested in getting accommodation together PM me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cgoulding

@mclouglu No it wasn't city hostel it was AAE city hostel. Where are you in college? were in D.I.T. U-District is our plan for somewhere to stay. Have you got e-mail or Facebook or anything that we can arrange to meet up when we get out there? you can pm me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BabyDuck

Seattle is a great city!! Im from kildare and have lived two hours north of seattle for last year and try to get down there as often as I can. Ballard is a nice area to live.... Capitol hill is a long strip of bars and restaurants, which have a great atmosphere, downtown can be a little sketchy at night but overall very safe city! U district is a little out of city in its own area, and craigslist is probably best place to get accomadation! hope that helps a little!

• Advertisement
Advertisement