Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI 2014 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

monkey9 wrote: »
    Derry already falling apart.

Pizza Hutton strikes again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

djpbarry wrote: »
    That's what people said in 2012. Pats had the best defensive record in the league that year, then went and gifted Derry 2 goals (or even 3) in the cup final.

Derry always seem to come good at the end of the season

21/25

Pizza Hutton strikes again

or was it Patrick ‘Fats’ McEleney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If you don't win the cup for so long - like us - it's almost a mental block which probably filters through to the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a Derry fan I genuinely think Pats will win the Cup this season.
    They can't continue losing finals, law of averages and all that.

Plus I do think they are a much better team than us. Outside of the cup our form has been rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

gimmick wrote: »
    Will there even be 2 divisions next season?

UEFA requires multiple divisions.

It's a complete non-argument, with or without that.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Galway beat Shels tonight in a playoff first leg. Is this a playoff to get into a playoff against the second from bottom team in the Premier Division?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Tssk wrote: »
    Galway beat Shels tonight in a playoff first leg. Is this a playoff to get into a playoff against the second from bottom team in the Premier Division?

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The big question: Can Alan Matthews finally get Bray relegated this year?

From page 1 of this thread. He must have read it and kept them up on spite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Also from the first page. gimmick's reply when it was stated that Cork would be up there this year.
    gimmick wrote: »
    No we won't. Mid table obscurity at best.
    Way off the mark. Ok they're not gonna win it but they gave it a damn good shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Pighead wrote: »
    Also from the first page. gimmick's reply when it was stated that Cork would be up there this year.

Way off the mark. Ok they're not gonna win it but they gave it a damn good shot.
    Why aren't we? 1 more clean sheet and we're champions!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Why aren't we? 1 more clean sheet and we're champions!

It's okay. Leave them write us off if they want. I'm quite happy for City to go up there as massive underdogs.

All the pressure is on the team who has been leading the title race for several months, and has already blown a six point lead at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I thought it was all over a while back.

I thought Cork had about 0.01% of having to win in Dundalk to win league but fact we can draw gives us huge chance.

If it was on normal surface I be much more confident but I still would give Dundalk slight favourite tag to win league.

But no question Cork have great chance too.

PREMIER DIVISION WINNERS Pat's
    EUROPA LEAGUE SPOTS Dundalk, Sligo
    FAI CUP WINNERS Dundalk
    EA SPORTS CUP WINNERS Derry
    SETANTA CUP WINNERS Sligo
    LEINSTER SENIOR CUP WINNERS Shamrock
    FIRST DIVISION WINNERS Longford
    RELEGATED Noone
    POTY Quigley
    1st player to England Towell
    Top Scorer Patterson
    1st Manager gone Collins
    Overacheiver Bohs

the above is why Paddypower ****ing loves me :(

Quigley one makes me giggle i think he has retired from football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Everything pointing towards Heary being the new man in charge at the Showgrounds next season.

Everything pointing towards Heary being the new man in charge at the Showgrounds next season.

Where you getting this info?

Sligo is not a very big town and it's not hard to get the inside line at what's going on at the Showgrounds.

At the very least he has been offered first refusal. With Niall Harrison and Gavin Dykes as his assistants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not going to win the league, but would like a run in the cup.

This post is before start of season.

I hope I will be so wrong by weekend.

Just reading posts from back then most Cork fans seemed as pessimistic as myself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

This post is before start of season.

I hope I will be so wrong by weekend.

Just reading posts from back then most Cork fans seemed as pessimistic as myself.

To be fair, I don't even think J.C. himself could have predicted we'd be in this position heading into the last game of the season!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sligo is not a very big town and it's not hard to get the inside line at what's going on at the Showgrounds.

At the very least he has been offered first refusal. With Niall Harrison and Gavin Dykes as his assistants.

When the Nuclear Winter comes all there will be to keep Bray and cockroaches company will be Hawkins and Dykes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Due to an incredible demand for tickets this morning, Dundalk FC have suspended ticket sales for Friday’s Cork City match.

We will update this page if and when further tickets are released for sale

http://www.dundalkfc.com/cork-tickets-sale/

League Of Ireland is dead, no interest in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

League Of Ireland is dead, no interest in it.

Only an interest when teams are winning silverware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Even people I know who stay away from Rumours are repeating this Heary one, however Sligo is gas for rumours. I would be happy enough with him however the talk of us going part time could be hard to get players to live in Sligo on part time. Time will tell.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Even people I know who stay away from Rumours are repeating this Heary one, however Sligo is gas for rumours. I would be happy enough with him however the talk of us going part time could be hard to get players to live in Sligo on part time. Time will tell.

I think the club will be relying a fair bit on the lads from the U19 setup next season. Whoever gets the manager's job will most likely be someone with experience of blooding youngsters. Which in itself is why the MC are so keen on Heary. Whether he wants the job or not is another matter.

Anyway, I think it's fair to say the days of importing managers from England are coming to an end. Not a very cost effective way to run a regional football club of modest means, certainly not in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Been away most of this season so not seen all that much but by the sounds of things it's a great bunch coming through.

Could lose a few in January but they're all contracted as far as I know. Would mean a few Euro.

Anyway, I think it's fair to say the days of importing managers from England are coming to an end. Not a very cost effective way to run a regional football club of modest means, certainly not in the long run.
    Appointing from abroad isn't a new thing from us. Mcstay, Sanchez and cotterill all in the mid 90s when we hadn't a pot to piss in.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Appointing from abroad isn't a new thing from us. Mcstay, Sanchez and cotterill all in the mid 90s when we hadn't a pot to piss in.

We didn't have a youth infrastructure and an ongoing ground development plan back then either. All of which are an additional drain on club resources. Priorities have changed drastically since then. Dermot Kelly has already stated that any future income will be mostly ring fenced for further improvement of the Showgrounds.

As for the U19's - Gary Boylan is the pick of them, but it's highly unlikely he will be a Rovers player come the new year. Has another trial lined up this week - with Huddersfield, I think.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Quigley one makes me giggle i think he has retired from football.
    The folly of compiling your list with annoying Rovers supporters in mind.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    The folly of compiling your list with annoying Rovers supporters in mind.

We had form in ex rovers players being POTY

dreamers75 wrote: »
    We had form in ex rovers players being POTY

Such waste of talent that lad.

We didn't have a youth infrastructure and an ongoing ground development plan back then either. All of which are an additional drain on club resources. Priorities have changed drastically since then. Dermot Kelly has already stated that any future income will be mostly ring fenced for further improvement of the Showgrounds.

As for the U19's - Gary Boylan is the pick of them, but it's highly unlikely he will be a Rovers player come the new year. Has another trial lined up this week - with Huddersfield, I think.
    Gary boylan, if he goes, will pay for the youth infrastructure for a few years to come. Ground development will be dropped as soon as funds run low.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Ground development will be dropped as soon as funds run low.

Funds have already run low. There is a lot of talk of the club having to go back to a part time set up as it is. As for for whatever we get for Boylan paying for the youth setup for years to come?!

Yeah, sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Did Boylan play right-full against Limerick?

• Advertisement

I heary is nailed on for the job.

/boom tish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

anncoates wrote: »
    I heary is nailed on for the job.

/boom tish

qKEtGFC.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

PFAI Team of the year

McNulty
    Gannon
    Boyle
    Gartland
    Bermingham
    Healy
    Towell
    Horgan
    Hoban
    Fagan
    O'Sullivan

Not a million miles away from what I would have picked and called all 6 Dundalk players right. Bit surprised that O'Sullivan got in instead of Byrne but hard to argue about the rest.
    doncarlos wrote: »
    Last few posts have me thinking about team of the year. Wonder will there be many changes to last years team?

Team of the Year 2013
    Clarke (St Pat's), Bermingham (St Pat's), Browne (St Pat's), Boyle, (Dundalk), O'Brien (St Pat's), Brennan (St Pat's), Bolger (St Pat's), Towell (Dundalk), Horgan (Cork City), Patterson (Derry City), Hoban (Dundalk)

Shoe-ins
    Bermingham, Boyle, Towell and Hoban should keep their spots
    Gannon will definitely come in to the right back slot and Fagan up front in place of Patterson

Maybes
    Clarke, Browne, Brennan, Bolger and Horgans spots are iffy.
    GK - Clarke, Cherrie, McNulty and Ryan all competing for this. I'd select Ryan. He has been fantastic against Dundalk this season and from reports he has been as good in other games.
    CB - Browne's biggest threat this season is Gartland. Has made the very odd mistake but chips in with lots of goals. 7 in the league alone. Dan Murray could also be in with a shout.
    Midfield- Bolger and Horgan could retain with Bolger most likely as he has been solid. Horgan has blown hot and cold but when he is good he is very good so might just scrape in. Can't see Brennan getting a spot with Shields, Healy and Conan Byrne all contenders.

My Team would be

Ryan (Limerick), Bermingham (St Pat's), Gartland (Dundalk), Boyle, (Dundalk), Gannon (Dundalk), Byrne (St Pat's), Bolger (St Pat's), Towell (Dundalk), Horgan (Dundalk), Fagan (St Pat's), Hoban (Dundalk)

I know that there is a heavy weighting to Dundalk/Pat's players but nobody else has really impressed me more than those.

Byrne is the only player I think should be in thats not.

Other wise thats a decent team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I think Billy Dennehy should've been in the team

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

PFAI First Division team of the year:

Doyle (Wex)
    Horgan (Gal)
    Barrett (Gal)
    Sullivan (LTFC)
    Desmond (Shels)
    Connolly (Shels)
    Connolly (Galway)
    Rice (LTFC)
    Furlong (Wex)
    Shaw (LTFC)
    O'Sullivan (LTFC)

1st Division Player of the Year nominees - Ryan Connolly, Galway; Danny Furlong, Wexford Youths; David O’Sullivan, Longford Town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

uch wrote: »
    I think Billy Dennehy should've been in the team

He has been dirt. A great man from the set piece but a very limited player aside from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Doyle (Wex)
    Horgan (Gal)
    Barrett (Gal)
    Sullivan (LTFC)
    Desmond (Shels)
    Connolly (Shels)
    Connolly (Galway)
    Rice (LTFC)
    Furlong (Wex)
    Shaw (LTFC)
    O'Sullivan (LTFC)

1st Division Player of the Year nominees - Ryan Connolly, Galway; Danny Furlong, Wexford Youths; David O’Sullivan, Longford Town
    Shocked Dylan Connolly isn't in the Player of the Year nominees. Thought Jordan Keegan would have made it into the Team of the Year too but largely I think from what I've seen most of it is about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Would have had Gearoid in instead of Healy. He's played better in the bigger games for us and drives the team on when no one else does. Healy has always had an aura but that got raised even more after THAT goal. However I don't think he's been brilliant for us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Doyle (Wex)
    Horgan (Gal)
    Barrett (Gal)
    Sullivan (LTFC)
    Desmond (Shels)
    Connolly (Shels)
    Connolly (Galway)
    Rice (LTFC)
    Furlong (Wex)
    Shaw (LTFC)
    O'Sullivan (LTFC)

Ecstatic for Danny Furlong. Developing so well from when he first came on the LOI scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I can't say I've noticed Doyle, Desmond or Shaw at any stage this season. Jake Keegan has 2 more goals than Shaw, but I suppose players are less likely to vote for a foreigner that they don't know.

Surprised Dylan Connolly isn't up for POTY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I can't say I've noticed Doyle, Desmond or Shaw at any stage this season. Jake Keegan has 2 more goals than Shaw, but I suppose players are less likely to vote for a foreigner that they don't know.

Surprised Dylan Connolly isn't up for POTY.

Desmond is our best player without question, by a distance. I would go as far to say best player in the FD but centrebacks don't really win those sort of awards ever so I understand his exclusion

Rory Gaffney has been very good for Limerick too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

hearing the bray wanderers players are going on strike for this fridays game against athlone , hope this gets sorted quickly

peteeeed wrote: »
    hearing the bray wanderers players are going on strike for this fridays game against athlone , hope this gets sorted quickly

About Pay or Mathews:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement