Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI 2014 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Ross Tahey, Michael Casey, Liam Flatley

Added yesterday, Maguire not on thursdays squad list.

Saw Liam Flatley playing for Ireland Under 18's last week. Great player. He also works his socks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Saw Liam Flatley playing for Ireland Under 18's last week. Great player. He also works his socks off.

I can see him dancing around the opposition alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Prolly

Is he another new signing for Pats? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is he another new signing for Pats? :)

No but this is sort off

http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=6000#.UwuUa_l_sul
    St Patrick’s Athletic are happy to announce the appointment of Martin Russell as assistant to Saints’ manager Liam Buckley ahead of the 2014 season.

Russell has previously been at the club as both a player and coach, playing from 1998 till 2003, and remaining on the coaching staff till 2005.

Tonights team

Gilmartin; O'Brien (c) Browne, Oman, Bermingham; Byrne, Fahey, Brennan, Bolger, Forrester; Fagan

drooling_homer.gif?w=314&h=360

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good to hear about Russell. As long as he isnt our defensive coach its very promising. Who is UCD's new manager now?

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    Good to hear about Russell. As long as he isnt our defensive coach its very promising. Who is UCD's new manager now?

Aaron Callaghan

State of this pitch.

/heh dunno whyy i call him o callaghan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Terrible TV game because of the pitch.

1-0 Pats - Forrester assisted by a Fahey attempted shot.

We are 1-0 up in Belfast, Odhiambo with a debut goal.

Dundalk 1-0 Coleraine
    Shams 1-1 Glentoran

2-0 Rovers now, Aaron Greene. We were 5/2 -1. Paddys must not have known that we played most of our pre-season games on astro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Oat23 wrote: »
    Terrible TV game because of the pitch.

1-0 Pats - Forrester assisted by a Fahey attempted shot.

We are 1-0 up in Belfast, Odhiambo with a debut goal.

Dundalk 1-0 Coleraine
    Shams 1-1 Glentoran

2-0 Rovers now, Aaron Greene. We were 5/2 -1. Paddys must not have known that we played most of our pre-season games on astro.
    It's like a Gah field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

1-1 in Oriel. We played ok for 20 mins but since our goal they've been better side. Some strike by their no. 19 for the goal. Also, their fans are kicking arse in the noise stakes. Very boisterous away support.

Odhiambo has a hattrick on his debut :D

4-0 over Crues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I can honestly say that Martin Russell was probably the reason I kept going to LOI games after my first few times at the Bowl.
    With a limited team, it would have been very easy for him as manager to pack the defence and play long ball after long ball up front. Had he done that, it would have been likely that I would have said "feck this" and spent my Friday evenings elsewhere. But for a team that will almost constantly battle relegation, the football they played since I've watched them has been, more or less, fantastic to watch. Granted, his way of playing did end up in a decent amount of hammerings. But at the same time, it also produced fantastic games and fantastic results like beating Sligo 1-0 two seasons ago and beating Shams 2-0 last season.

Gutted to see him go and embarrassed at how it's ended, but I wish him all the best and hope he's managing again in the near future.
    But as kk said, don't let him near your defence ;)

1st away win up North in 6 years, horrendous match.

Dundalk ruined my bet feckin bottlers!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

We were shocking tonight and probably still should have got at least a draw.

They are stone useless apart from McDaid up front, his 1st goal was a worldd class strike from about 30 yards in off the underside of the bar

Fair play to their fans, took 250/300 and were very loud as they all went into the stand

Prob about 1500 at it in total, Shed and Stand packed, little anywhere else as it was pissing rain

Would fully expect to beat them up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Good result for Pats all things considered. One of the worst pitches I've seen for a televised match in years, basically impossible to try play ball in the Middle of the pitch.

Greg Bolger was fantastic again, easily the best player at his position in the League. Other players went in and out of the game.

Should win the tie convincingly in the return leg down in Richer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

We were shocking tonight and probably still should have got at least a draw.

They are stone useless apart from McDaid up front, his 1st goal was a worldd class strike from about 30 yards in off the underside of the bar

Fair play to their fans, took 250/300 and were very loud as they all went into the stand

Prob about 1500 at it in total, Shed and Stand packed, little anywhere else as it was pissing rain

Would fully expect to beat them up there

I thought Coleraine played well tonight and were resolute and determined throughout the 90mins.Dundalk on the other hand were awful and awful again!
    To many big players like Towell & Hoban showed SFA for the duration imo.Sk can try all the formations he wants with Simon Kelly but it wont work because Kelly is NOT a premier division player.
    Still all to play for in the tie but SK and the side need to buck up their ideas if they want to make the next round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

From what I saw of Odhiambo in preseason I'd have said he was top class in every other aspect but not a great finisher. If he can get the goals too we have some player on our hands.

Excited to see him link with Djilali. Could be some superb football played this year.

I thought Coleraine played well tonight and were resolute and determined throughout the 90mins.Dundalk on the other hand were awful and awful again!
    To many big players like Towell & Hoban showed SFA for the duration imo.Sk can try all the formations he wants with Simon Kelly but it wont work because Kelly is NOT a premier division player.
    Still all to play for in the tie but SK and the side need to buck up their ideas if they want to make the next round.
    Thought ye'd make it to April before the wheels came off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I can honestly say that Martin Russell was probably the reason I kept going to LOI games after my first few times at the Bowl.
    With a limited team, it would have been very easy for him as manager to pack the defence and play long ball after long ball up front. Had he done that, it would have been likely that I would have said "feck this" and spent my Friday evenings elsewhere. But for a team that will almost constantly battle relegation, the football they played since I've watched them has been, more or less, fantastic to watch. Granted, his way of playing did end up in a decent amount of hammerings. But at the same time, it also produced fantastic games and fantastic results like beating Sligo 1-0 two seasons ago and beating Shams 2-0 last season.

Gutted to see him go and embarrassed at how it's ended, but I wish him all the best and hope he's managing again in the near future.
    But as kk said, don't let him near your defence ;)

Surprised it took that long for Russell to leave, he was in the running for the Cork job (meet with them down there and everything), Athlone and Drogheda too. He was also being lined up for Rovers B whatever happened there. Aaron Callaghan in now I take it as was rumoured at the end of last season?

Surprised it took that long for Russell to leave, he was in the running for the Cork job (meet with them down there and everything), Athlone and Drogheda too. He was also being lined up for Rovers B whatever happened there. Aaron Callaghan in now I take it as was rumoured at the end of last season?

Fairly sure he left at the end of the season, has been unofficial coach for us for a while now. Least we have someone the FAI will allow us to have..... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Another 5-1 win, this time in the relentless defence of the Setanta Cup..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Can't wait for the league to start. Love it. Days are getting longer, spring is here, Friday night's gonna be a good night!

I see Limerick are out in Spain and lost 4-3 to Athletic Bilbao B today.

The joys of having a sugar daddy..

Jersey is better anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Oat23 wrote: »
    I see Limerick are out in Spain and lost 4-3 to Athletic Bilbao B today.

The joys of having a sugar daddy..

Jersey is better anyway.

So Limerick were in the Basque Country? ;)

A mate of mine is a hardcore Athletic supporter, and he didn't say a word about it :eek:

Development of Irish football posts moved to the following thread to be continued/started/reignited

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84882370

Please do not use this thread to discuss it further, thanks.

MNS to be renamed and on at 23.05

Not confirmed yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Not confirmed yet

To be renamed eircom League Weekly?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Not confirmed yet

I think that's a step backwards.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Can't find anything however was their not a stipulation regarding the Ireland rights that rte had to provide prime time league review show?

Maybe there wasn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Can't find anything however was their not a stipulation regarding the Ireland rights that rte had to provide prime time league review show?

Maybe there wasn't
    always thought this too, was one of the few things i gave the FAI credit for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It's re-named Soccer Republic

Really bad time slot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

overshoot wrote: »
    always thought this too, was one of the few things i gave the FAI credit for

Think that ran out at the end of last season. New show is called Soccer Republic. Includes coverage of international team, champions league and airtricity league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Still Peter Collins presenting and more focus on non LOI stuff and a worse time slot. :mad::mad:

http://www.rte.ie/presspack/2014/02/26/soccer-republic-the-new-irish-soccer-show-starts-monday-10th-march-on-rte-two/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

See some people thinking its good, RTE must have got some by in from big LOI tweeters :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

kksaints wrote: »
    Still Peter Collins presenting and more focus on non LOI stuff and a worse time slot. :mad::mad:

http://www.rte.ie/presspack/2014/02/26/soccer-republic-the-new-irish-soccer-show-starts-monday-10th-march-on-rte-two/
    Soccer Republic will be the place to see all the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division goals every week with the best analysis using the latest technology
    theyre not doing away with those classy close ups are they?!

RTE has to show a CL mag, noone watched MNS.

They dont have to show LOI on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

overshoot wrote: »
    Soccer Republic will be the place to see all the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division goals every week with the best analysis using the latest technology
    theyre not doing away with those classy close ups are they?!
    No, they've got a new hi-tech sofa for the lads to sit on.

Taking the Monday out of the name means they can change it to any day that suits if they feel like it.

Only really watch the goals from our own games anyway so not bothered.

What we really need is Gary Neville with a touchscreen computer drawing lines to show everyone how good the players are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

dan1895 wrote: »
    To be renamed eircom League Weekly?

It's not far off the time it was shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Paul Osams son playing for Rovers tonight, bumped into him in the jacks in Tolka. Also Roddy made an appearance too, but left 30 mins after KO.

Shels won 3-0, against a mix of Rovers. Finn, Robinson, O'Connor, Kelly and Lyons all started. We tore them apart at times, played some excellent ball, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Talks between Shels, Bohs and DCC for a groundshare - Ballymun is one mooted destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Also Roddy made an appearance too, but left 30 mins after KO.

He showed up at Dalyer mid-way through the first half and left just after half time :P

Talks between Shels, Bohs and DCC for a groundshare - Ballymun is one mooted destination.

There's a couple of sites with potential in Ballymun alright.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

5-1 win for Bohs over Bray last night in the LSC. Bray were poor by all accounts, but still good to be scoring goals.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

dan1895 wrote: »
    There's a couple of sites with potential in Ballymun alright.

Up near Ikea really. A part of the whole "Ballymun Regeneration" thingm could work.

It's also quite near Fingal/The M1 so there is potential to try to tap into the Fingal market again.

Sporting Shelhemians anyone?

Careful now, it's a ground share not a merger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Up near Ikea really. A part of the whole "Ballymun Regeneration" thingm could work.

It's also quite near Fingal/The M1 so there is potential to try to tap into the Fingal market again.

No, and I would not support Red Bull Bohels either ;)

Shels won 3-0, against a mix of Rovers. Finn, Robinson, O'Connor, Kelly and Lyons all started. We tore them apart at times, played some excellent ball, etc...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhgO0pbIUAAZdIl.jpg:large

looks like the B team defence, nobody in the squad involved on Monday night. They might struggle this season..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2014/0228/507471-sse-launch/

Martin O'Neill: Attending SSE Airtricity games is not a PR exercise

"Ireland manager Martin O’Neill says his attendance at League of Ireland games this season will not just be a public relations exercise and that he hopes to unearth some new talent.

Seamus Coleman and James McClean are among a number of current Ireland players who previously plied their trade in the League of Ireland and the former Celtic boss is hopeful that other players can emerge from the league."

Good to hear him talking positively about the league anyway, whether or not there's gonna be some call-ups is another thing.

Good to hear him talking positively about the league anyway, whether or not there's gonna be some call-ups is another thing.

Dont buy it :)
    that he hopes to unearth some new talent.

So a player the entire footballing community missed he is going to select for international duty ......OR tell them to move to England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Acknowledging we have a league here is a good thing. Baby steps forward rather than giant leaps backwards again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement