Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI 2014 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

srfc19 wrote: »
    Fahey, Quigs and Chambers alone would probably cover the Shams budget for the season.
    Ignoring for a moment that that’s obviously bollocks, there’s no way Quigley and Chambers would be in a position to demand as much as a recent international after the season they had last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Not quite the same thing. A grant to develop training facilities which can't be used for wages. A grant similar to the Mayo and Meath leagues.

Not quite the same as getting a stadium with the potential to earn €100,000 Euros every 2 weeks.

If you are talking about Tallaght Stadium, you should really try to understand that the only one's with the potential to earn €100,000 every 2 weeks from it is South Dublin Council, as they own it, Rovers are merely rent paying tennants.

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Fahey, Quigs and Chambers alone would probably cover the Shams budget for the season.

Although they have signed 16 centre halves that would be shocking in the North Tipperary U-14 C Division so maybe they're saving a few quid there.

Ah now you're just talking through yer hole

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

uch wrote: »
    If you are talking about Tallaght Stadium, you should really try to understand that the only one's with the potential to earn €100,000 every 2 weeks from it is South Dublin Council, as they own it, Rovers are merely rent paying tennants.

Are Shams not paying a fixed rent, and then able to keep the gate receipts?

Surely, that's how it works? In that case if they could fill it they would take close to €100,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

uch wrote: »

as a matter of interest, i wonder is the rent fixed or a percentage of the gate,

id say shams have a few bob out of the home gate also plus the rent could be written off against tax

on the topic of budgets id say there isnt a lot between shams, pats, dundalk and sligo with possibly sligo the lowest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

hugo29 wrote: »
    as a matter of interest, i wonder is the rent fixed or a percentage of the gate,

id say shams have a few bob out of the home gate also plus the rent could be written off against tax

on the topic of budgets id say there isnt a lot between shams, pats, dundalk and sligo with possibly sligo the lowest

Fixed, lease.

That's the original point that I'd assume the budgets are broadly similar although less affordable for some when factored against income.

Wasn't counting the B Team but the cost for that wouldn't be that different to paying a player like Fahey seeing as the B Team play out of Tallaght anyway and you'll have some residual income from stuff like home and away support at the actual games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

anncoates wrote: »
    Fixed, lease.

That's the original point that I'd assume the budgets are broadly similar although less affordable for some when factored against income.

Wasn't counting the B Team but the cost for that wouldn't be that different to paying a player like Fahey seeing as the B Team play out of Tallaght anyway and you'll have some residual income from stuff like home and away support at the actual games.

Would it be enough to cover the extra match day expenses, physio expenses, player expenses and transport expenses? I doubt it to be honest.

kksaints wrote: »
    Would it be enough to cover the extra match day expenses, physio expenses, player expenses and transport expenses? I doubt it to be honest.

Didn't say it wasn't an additional expense, just not as large as you would think. The senior squad is about 4 players less than last year too, IIRC well as some cheaper replacements for departed players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Didn't say it wasn't an additional expense, just not as large as you would think. The senior squad is about 4 players less than last year too, IIRC well as some cheaper replacements for departed players.

Actually will Shamrock Rovers have to be extra rent for the B team matches? Also I find it interesting that you mention Fahey wages surely McPhails wages would be on a par with Fahey's.

kksaints wrote: »
    Also I find it interesting that you mention Fahey wages surely McPhails wages would be on a par with Fahey's.

Dunno what Fahey is on but he's younger and a more recent international although I think people are underestimating what McPhail will bring to the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Are Pats paying Faheys wages ? or is Niall Quinn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Fixed, lease.

Fixed lease of a six-figure sum a year.

Minimum wage for the "B" team is €150 a head according to one of the players, so it would rack up enough.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Are Pats paying Faheys wages ? or is Niall Quinn?

NAMA maybe no? Liam Buckleys famous "backers"?

You think Fahey is costing Pats the equivalent of a First Division squad?

djpbarry wrote: »
    You think Fahey is costing Pats the equivalent of a First Division squad?

Depends on what Fahey is costing.

Bear in mind we were talking about wage budgets. There's 9 players in our B squad IIRC. The rest come from the senior (3 players and one goalie allowed) and U19 squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Depends on what Fahey is costing.

Bear in mind we were talking about wage budgets. There's 9 players in our B squad IIRC. The rest come from the senior (3 players and one goalie allowed) and U19 squad.
    but you still have to pay the league entry fee, officials, travel costs and so on. its supposed to be c100k to field an amateur D1 side + 50K for your 9 150e a week min B players (if true), so thats near 150k

another way thats 1/10 of sligo rovers entire operating budget last season.... i dont think pats would pay that to one player

edit, just seen you limit it to wage budgets... possible. Harps entire operating budget last year was 250K and that put us 3rd/4th in that order

NAMA maybe no? Liam Buckleys famous "backers"?

lol

Fahey rumoured to be on 1200 a week, Kelleher helped the FAI save a few quid so we got coupons for 10 red cards and 5 dodgy penos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Good few ex-LoI players in tonight's game against Serbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Not quite the same thing. A grant to develop training facilities which can't be used for wages. A grant similar to the Mayo and Meath leagues.

Not quite the same as getting a stadium with the potential to earn €100,000 Euros every 2 weeks.
    Rovers are paying rent on the stadium like any other tenants. I don't know how much it is because it's not public information, but there's no reason to think it's anything other than the best offer SDCC could extract. Leinster Rugby pay for the RDS and get no matchday income other than ticket sales and I'd imagine it's the same for Rovers. SDCC have seen fit to dictate when Rovers can play there and they book plenty of non-Rovers events for the stadium so they are completely in control.

Good few ex-LoI players in tonight's game against Serbia.
    6/11 of the starting line-up and 3/5 subs, with 12 in total in the matchday squad. 9/16 players who took the field have played LOI football.

• Advertisement

Rovers are paying rent on the stadium like any other tenants. I don't know how much it is because it's not public information, but there's no reason to think it's anything other than the best offer SDCC could extract. Leinster Rugby pay for the RDS and get no matchday income other than ticket sales and I'd imagine it's the same for Rovers. SDCC have seen fit to dictate when Rovers can play there and they book plenty of non-Rovers events for the stadium so they are completely in control.

15k for Pats to use it for Europe (includes security)

dreamers75 wrote: »
    15k for Pats to use it for Europe (includes security)
    Per game? You'd imagine Rovers would be a good bit lower than that per game due to the fact they're playing 20+ senior games + 11 U19 games + x women's games and now 14 B games. Still, if Pats had to play a European game there and Rovers had a game the same night, SDCC would shift Rovers off.

Still, if Pats had to play a European game there and Rovers had a game the same night, SDCC would shift Rovers off.

Nope. We have a lease/licence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Still, if Pats had to play a European game there and Rovers had a game the same night, SDCC would shift Rovers off.

That would not happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

6/11 of the starting line-up and 3/5 subs, with 12 in total in the matchday squad. 9/16 players who took the field have played LOI football.

Impressive stats.

dfx- wrote: »
    That would not happen

/Checks who in Ukraine plays near the Crimea.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Nearly 2,500 at the Galway - Longford game. Not a bad turnout at all, delighted we got the win, and the clean sheet is an added bonus. Signing all these old heads looks like a good move, so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Any Rovers fans know if the away allocation for tonights game is full?

I'd be very surprised if it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

That match was a pile of dung. Decent goals thou, if the 1st one was on purpose :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

BiStiqjIgAAjYtX.jpg:large
    Good to see they have a nice professional set up up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Jesus Christ, that is embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

SantryRed wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, that is embarrassing.

It's a lot harder to shít in a car than a bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

In good news for Beer Snobs - The Bar @ Tolka is now stocking Craft Beer - started with O'Hara's Pale Ale and Leann Folainn on Friday - sold out of the LF, so that may mean they increase the range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

In good news for Beer Snobs - The Bar @ Tolka is now stocking Craft Beer - started with O'Hara's Pale Ale and Leann Folainn on Friday - sold out of the LF, so that may mean they increase the range.
    More importantly there was good news for tea drinkers with the news that the Shels shop will be back selling tea for the next game. Phew!

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news/3190/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Pighead wrote: »
    More importantly there was good news for tea drinkers with the news that the Shels shop will be back selling tea for the next game. Phew!

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news/3190/

I think having hot beverages available is a licence requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

This has made my week! Although Friday's game was the first in years that I didn't visit the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

The Rovers forum is already a hotbed of misery and drama. Seriously, some people need to get a grip.

Fairly disappointed with the performance overall, though some bright spots included Brennan (has everything you need in a box-to-box midfielder) and better full-back play. Bayly just isn't good enough on the ball to play central midfield in a 4-4-2, Zayed was hugely frustrating.

Rodders won the tactical battle by deploying 3 lads in the centre most of the time, forcing us us to punt it long, and their defence gobbled up most of the high balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

AgileMyth wrote: »
    BiStiqjIgAAjYtX.jpg:large
    Good to see they have a nice professional set up up there.

For semi pro teams, getting additional lifts for players that can't get off the day job early enough is nothing new but surly they know of a committee member or a few supporters going without having to publicly advertise!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    For semi pro teams, getting additional lifts for players that can't get off the day job early enough is nothing new but surly they know of a committee member or a few supporters going without having to publicly advertise!!!
    Looks like they all got sorted in the end anyway.

BiXUJ25IgAAtuHa.jpg:large

Impressive.

Of course, the smell in Tolka is so overpowering, it doesn’t matter what you drink – it’s all going to taste like bum water.

• Advertisement

geeky wrote: »
    Rodders won the tactical battle by deploying 3 lads in the centre most of the time, forcing us us to punt it long, and their defence gobbled up most of the high balls.

Why would you play it long against 3 huge lads at the back? Rovers picked two big strikers and Bayly in midfield and were going to hoof it to them anyway.

It was an awful team selection, only altered when 0-1 down. Only changed when midfielders such as McPhail and Finn came on to redress the balance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Morning all. I'm have no ties to a LoI club but I do go to games now and again. First time looking at the league this season, so I am just wondering which of the of the Dublin games this weekend, Bohemians v Drogheda United or St. Patrick's Ath v U.C.D, you would recommend. Will is the better prospect of the two?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bohs v Drogs is more likely to be an even contest, and as an added bonus both seem to be knocking in the goals (7 goals between them on the opening day).

Pats v UCD will likely be an easy victory for the former, though Pats will probably play the best football of the four if that's what you want to see.

I am a Bohs fan though so slightly biased :).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Bohs v Drogs is more likely to be an even contest, and as an added bonus both seem to be knocking in the goals (7 goals between them on the opening day).

Pats v UCD will likely be an easy victory for the former, though Pats will probably play the best football of the four if that's what you want to see.

I am a Bohs fan though so slightly biased :).

Would second this, adding that UCD also traditionally like to play a passing game that's easy on the eye.

You could also rock down to Tallaght to see Shamrock Rovers' first division team against Finn Harps. Football won't be as good, but it's cheap and great facilities.

dfx- wrote: »
    Why would you play it long against 3 huge lads at the back? Rovers picked two big strikers and Bayly in midfield and were going to hoof it to them anyway.

It was an awful team selection, only altered when 0-1 down. Only changed when midfielders such as McPhail and Finn came on to redress the balance

Would agree here. The only possible justification for picking Bayly would be question marks about Finn and McPhail's fitness. The latter did just as effective job as Bayly defensively (Finn didn't have to as he was largely working the wings when he came on), and both are better on the ball. Hopefully with that pair back - and Shep adding a bit of pace up front in place of Zayed or Killer - we won't be quite so one-dimensional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

COYW wrote: »
    Morning all. I'm have no ties to a LoI club but I do go to games now and again. First time looking at the league this season, so I am just wondering which of the of the Dublin games this weekend, Bohemians v Drogheda United or St. Patrick's Ath v U.C.D, you would recommend. Will is the better prospect of the two?

As a Sligo fan I would say get the Dart to Bray however as a neutral living in Dub that does go to games occasionally as a neutral I would head to Dayler to see Bohs v Drogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Would second this, adding that UCD also traditionally like to play a passing game that's easy on the eye.

aaron4.jpg

Yes... Passing game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Would agree here. The only possible justification for picking Bayly would be question marks about Finn and McPhail's fitness. The latter did just as effective job as Bayly defensively (Finn didn't have to as he was largely working the wings when he came on), and both are better on the ball. Hopefully with that pair back - and Shep adding a bit of pace up front in place of Zayed or Killer - we won't be quite so one-dimensional.

I had no problem with the team selection. If he starts McPhail in every game early in the season, we won't have him for the latter stages. He has already had an English season and he's no spring chicken. Finn didn't have the end of season break that everyone else had as he spent 4 weeks at Burnley. He was injured while over there and will need time to ease back. Bayly has been very good pre season and has justified his selection. Shepperd is also just back after injury and I'm sure he'll replace Zayed when or before we offload him mid season. Zayed is a disaster. Still carrying weight and not as mobile as he should be.
    Having said that, the team played hoof ball. I think they panicked a bit and resorted to that instead of the type of football they had been playing pre season.

I had no problem with the team selection. If he starts McPhail in every game early in the season, we won't have him for the latter stages. He has already had an English season and he's no spring chicken. Finn didn't have the end of season break that everyone else had as he spent 4 weeks at Burnley. He was injured while over there and will need time to ease back. Bayly has been very good pre season and has justified his selection. Shepperd is also just back after injury and I'm sure he'll replace Zayed when or before we offload him mid season. Zayed is a disaster. Still carrying weight and not as mobile as he should be.
    Having said that, the team played hoof ball. I think they panicked a bit and resorted to that instead of the type of football they had been playing pre season.

The thing is, I felt the selection - even if it was unavoidable - contributed to the hoof ball. We were outnumbered in the centre and the technical limitations of Bayly in particular were clear, so they ended up bypassing the midfield. With a better passer to partner Ryan Brennan, we have a better chance of getting it forward on the ground.

I wouldn't want to see McPhail starting every game for the reasons you state, but swapping him and Finn in and out would give us more creativity and variety. I only caught one pre-season game, Bayly was decent in it, but I'd question the logic of replacing a committed but technically limited player (Ricer) with one in the same mould. For me, he's cover when people are fit.

Agree whole-heartedly with your comments on Zayed. Sooner he's gone, the better. I'd rather have Quigley - who at least looked capable of changing the game when he was bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Thanks all, Bohemians v Drogheda it is so.

Advertisement