Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI 2014 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ever read an article on LOI have a reply to all the nonsense in it.

Dodge did and does.

http://backpagefootball.com/new-league-season-same-old-problems-a-reply/71752/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

geeky wrote: »
    The thing is, I felt the selection - even if it was unavoidable - contributed to the hoof ball. We were outnumbered in the centre and the technical limitations of Bayly in particular were clear, so they ended up bypassing the midfield. With a better passer to partner Ryan Brennan, we have a better chance of getting it forward on the ground.

I wouldn't want to see McPhail starting every game for the reasons you state, but swapping him and Finn in and out would give us more creativity and variety. I only caught one pre-season game, Bayly was decent in it, but I'd question the logic of replacing a committed but technically limited player (Ricer) with one in the same mould. For me, he's cover when people are fit.

Agree whole-heartedly with your comments on Zayed. Sooner he's gone, the better. I'd rather have Quigley - who at least looked capable of changing the game when he was bothered.

I'd take issue with Ricer being technically limited. He's not flashy and he won't do the things Brennan can do, but he was always tidy and reliable and enabled the players with more vision to do what they do best. Bayly is a poor substitute for me, although admittedly he has talent he hasn't shown since leaving Rovers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I had no problem with the team selection. If he starts McPhail in every game early in the season, we won't have him for the latter stages. He has already had an English season and he's no spring chicken. Finn didn't have the end of season break that everyone else had as he spent 4 weeks at Burnley. He was injured while over there and will need time to ease back. Bayly has been very good pre season and has justified his selection.

I have no issue with the tactics given the team selection. McPhail still played 40 odd minutes anyway at 0-1, he could easily play one half...O'Connor/McCabe/Finn could share the other 45 minutes. Brennan immeasurably improved when Bayly went off. It is also a criticism of his squad that Bayly has to be picked as first choice, regardless of circumstance.

Bayly is not the answer. He was just as bad in the Cliftonville match in pre-season.

dfx- wrote: »
    I have no issue with the tactics given the team selection. McPhail still played 40 odd minutes anyway at 0-1, he could easily play one half...O'Connor/McCabe/Finn could share the other 45 minutes. Brennan immeasurably improved when Bayly went off. It is also a criticism of his squad that Bayly has to be picked as first choice, regardless of circumstance.

Bayly is not the answer. He was just as bad in the Cliftonville match in pre-season.
    I can't make midweek matches usually, but from what I hear Boccer played well? As he seems to have all pre-season. He was shocking on Sunday though. His only meaningful contribution was a ridiculous scissors-tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Dear Leader says players earn too much.

Yes John. Yes they do.

This guys self-awareness must be absolutely non-existent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Oh also.
    I convinced Uefa that they should do all the television rights centrally,

fúcking hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Dear Leader says players earn too much.

Yes John. Yes they do.

This guys self-awareness must be absolutely non-existent.

Players earning too much is the problem. Sure thing.

Lovely bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Danny Murphy has left Cork City by mutual consent.

Strange one but it was clear from pre-season that Danny had no part to play in Caulfields plans, and knowing Danny, that would not have sit well. Think he has a full time job now and a young fella so that probably played a big part in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

CHealy wrote: »
    Danny Murphy has left Cork City by mutual consent.

Strange one but it was clear from pre-season that Danny had no part to play in Caulfields plans, and knowing Danny, that would not have sit well. Think he has a full time job now and a young fella so that probably played a big part in it.

Hes also training Crofton in the MSL.
    Wonder will he be the next ex LOI player down Avondale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I find it bizarre that Chambers and McCormack were off-loaded in favour of Bayly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

djpbarry wrote: »
    I find it bizarre that Chambers and McCormack were off-loaded in favour of Bayly.
    I believe part of the reason they're so stuck in the middle is because they thought they'd have Richie Ryan for this year. They obviously spend more time looking through other club's contracts than their own.

They tried to sign several others before ending up with Bayly too.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I believe part of the reason they're so stuck in the middle is because they thought they'd have Richie Ryan for this year. They obviously spend more time looking through other club's contracts than their own.

They tried to sign several others before ending up with Bayly too.

Doesnt explain not offering Chambers or Mc Cormack anything tho.

Stephen maher signed for drogs, smashing player with us twice. Huge part in our league win hope it works out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I'd take issue with Ricer being technically limited. He's not flashy and he won't do the things Brennan can do, but he was always tidy and reliable and enabled the players with more vision to do what they do best. Bayly is a poor substitute for me, although admittedly he has talent he hasn't shown since leaving Rovers.

No disrespect to Ricer - he's a model professional and, as you say, tidy and reliable. But his passing has never been particularly accurate in medium to long range and his game is more about energy and physicality than creativity. He's tailor-made for the defensive midfield position - a good water carrier, and I say that as a poor version of the same role!

However, in a 4-4-2, some would argue that you need more passing range, ball retention and creativity from at least one of your central midfielders than Rice offers. I'd be leaning towards this view, at least vs the top teams, so can see why Rice wouldn't be getting a run in the first 11. And I doubt he fancies being a backup - hence why I didn't have a problem with Rovers saying goodbye, though they could have had a bit more class about it.

TLDR Version - Rice is a very effective player in his role, but the central midfield in a 4-4-2 for a top LOI time probably requires more technical skill than he offers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

TLDR Version - Rice is a very effective player in his role, but the central midfield in a 4-4-2 for a top LOI time probably requires more technical skill than he offers.

And that's where Robert Bayly comes in... :pac:

And that's where Robert Bayly comes in... :pac:

And that's my point. No point replacing Rice for valid reasons with a player who has the same limitations - and a worse attitude.

Whats up with Rovers and 442? Croly a huge fan of 433/352 assumed he would build a team similiar with Rovers.

We struggled to do it when our 11 was weakened last year but have signed players to ensure we can switch between 433/352 during games and can cover it from the bench.

Chambers wouldn't really work either, he tried Chambers, he would pick up less bookings though.

McCormack should be central midfield, but Croly obviously doesn't see him as one, steadfastly refused to play him there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Doesnt explain not offering Chambers or Mc Cormack anything tho..

Squad had too many midfielders. Some clubs actually trim their squads when they're not bringing in Euro money. Unbelievable concept in the LOI, I know.

Croly kept trying to play Chambers as a deep midfielder and he was shit at it. Still a player I rate though, when used properly.

Croly or Kenny didn't fancy Mccormack as a midfielder and he was unhappy because he wasn't being used there so is now at Pats where he won't play there either.

Brennan is a better player than Rice or McCormack. Robinson was kept because he has a role with the schoolboys now. Ryan was wanted, but left us to go to Canada. Bayly playing for small wage to get himself back into the game.

anncoates wrote: »
    Croly kept trying to play Chambers as a deep midfielder and he was shit at it.
    That's the role he played at Pats a couple of years ago and he was superb.
    Croly or Kenny didn't fancy Mccormack as a midfielder and he was unhappy because he wasn't being used there so is now at Pats where he won't play there either.
    He has his work cut out alright. But with Pats playing three in the middle and Fahey unlikely to be around for long, he's bound to get his chance, especially if a European run develops. He's still only 23.

• Advertisement

Whats up with Rovers and 442? Croly a huge fan of 433/352 assumed he would build a team similiar with Rovers.

We struggled to do it when our 11 was weakened last year but have signed players to ensure we can switch between 433/352 during games and can cover it from the bench.

Either Croly is weak and bowing to pressure or - and I hope this is the case - he realises that a more attacking approach is important to breaking down those mid-level teams, particularly in Tallaght. Turning just a few of those draws into wins will make a big impact in the final table.

I don't think he had the players to do a 4-4-2 last season - certainly not at the start of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sligo Vs St Pat's in the SSC is live on Setanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Either Croly is weak and bowing to pressure or - and I hope this is the case - he realises that a more attacking approach is important to breaking down those mid-level teams, particularly in Tallaght. Turning just a few of those draws into wins will make a big impact in the final table.

I don't think he had the players to do a 4-4-2 last season - certainly not at the start of it.

Certainly has them now but when Us and Sligo/Dundalk come and play with 3 in the middle he will have to change to stop us.
    Squad had too many midfielders. Some clubs actually trim their squads when they're not bringing in Euro money. Unbelievable concept in the LOI, I know.

Considering you had all the LOI midfielders last year wasnt a shock.

Gartland and Bradley sign for Lucan united :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Gartland isn't good enough for any LOI level anyway. Not that I've any idea where Lucan sit in the levels below LOI.

CSF wrote: »
    Gartland isn't good enough for any LOI level anyway. Not that I've any idea where Lucan sit in the levels below LOI.

They getting more money than certain Pats players. Dunno why Junior sides do this and its always the weird ones.....like who the **** are Lucan United?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

They getting more money than certain Pats players. Dunno why Junior sides do this and its always the weird ones.....like who the **** are Lucan United?

Mark Rutherford with them for a good few years too. Well known up and coming junior team who play in celbridge strangely. :confused:

Certainly has them now but when Us and Sligo/Dundalk come and play with 3 in the middle he will have to change to stop us.

Either that or take a leaf from Sligo's book and get the ball from the engine room to the wings quickly. That's where better ball skills from Finn or McPhail will be vital, and it'll also require all the midfielders to put a shift in defensively.

My fear is that the team will get lazy and just keep punting long balls at you guys.

• Advertisement

Congrats Sligo Rovers 2014 Champions.

Stuey Byrne wrote off your title hopes on Off The Ball tonight, so thats that in the bag :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Bohemians 1-3 Shamrock Rovers
    Cork 3-1 Bray
    UCD 2-1 Athlone
    Drogheda 1-1 Derry

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

On the Indo site there that Liverpool may play Shamrock Rovers at the Aviva, three days after the end of the EPL season.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

On the Indo site there that Liverpool may play Shamrock Rovers at the Aviva, three days after the end of the EPL season.

Got an email today from the FAI that there would be a glamour friendly announced tomorrow at midday. With pre-release tickets for season ticket holders and vantage members.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Got an email today from the FAI that there would be a glamour friendly announced tomorrow at midday. With pre-release tickets for season ticket holders and vantage members.
    Liverpool against Aston Villa it is so.

Thought all tickets were 20 quid for Rovers Pool

Seems they are 20/30/40/50 that is shocking.

Hope rovers make a ****ing mint out of the other teams fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

I hope they don't. They already get enough help from the FAI as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

From what I've been told by the Club, tickets are €30 & €15 for kids, but kids tickets are limited

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Madworld wrote: »

Hahahaha, Jaysus you're Gas

21/25

If it is the case that Rovers have organised this themselves, then I say fair play to them for showing some initiative - they're taking the Irish obsession with the EPL and using it to their advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If it is the case that Rovers have organised this themselves, then I say fair play to them for showing some initiative - they're taking the Irish obsession with the EPL and using it to their advantage.

Limerick - Barca...........

• Advertisement

Limerick - Barca...........
    They played City a year later as the FAI changed their tack.

uch wrote: »
    From what I've been told by the Club, tickets are €30 & €15 for kids, but kids tickets are limited

Theres 50 quid tickets on ticketmaster, obviously not for you lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

made a soccer forum harps thread
    update on the stadium in it if anyones interested
    nice change these photo updates and not pointing out about red tape!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

The FAI didn't exactly change their direction out of the goodness of their hearts either in that instance.

The FAI didn't exactly change their direction out of the goodness of their hearts either in that instance.
    Well obviously, yeah, but they've still been forced to change their outlook. I don't know what the status of the Kentaro deal is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

And more power to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

uch wrote: »
    Hahahaha, Jaysus you're Gas

I know, I am gas. Silly old me for ever suggesting something untoward occurring. I mean Fran Gavin, the supposedly objective head of the domestic league, would never call Shamrock Rovers the model club? Furthermore, the FAI would never clear this model club of racist abuse, despite seemingly audible, video evidence to the contrary. Finally, Shamrock Rovers definitely aren't given oppertunities that are seemingly unavailable to other clubs.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/hoops-to-hit-jackpot-from-liverpool-feelgood-factor-30143084.html
    "This game came about as a result of a tri-party agreement between Rovers, Liverpool and the FAI................... Rovers will earn a six figure sum from this high-profile exercise, which will compensate the LOI side for the absence of European football revenue from this years budget"
    I know my club, and every other club who missed out on Europe this year will be looking forward to their six figure compensation too. I mean surely the FAI' will have to follow their own laws stating, "An Administrator must be committed to fairness in dealing with all involved in the game".

I think you're looking a bit far and wishfully into the journalist's term of compensation there..

I think you're looking a bit far and wishfully into the journalist's term of compensation there..
    But it obviously smacks of favouritism if the FAI brokered the deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement