Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Shopping List Please

• 14-02-2014 10:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭

There is a girl down the road and her husband died last year. I know she is a bit stuck. I have offered her money etc but she is so proud. I would like to leave some shopping for her when she is out. She has a daughter in collage who lives there and a son of 10 ish ? As a layabout guy I don't really know what to buy apart from bread/milk etc. I will spend 30/40 euro and just leave in her porch. Can I have a list and I will print it out and go. I have a Tesco and a Aldi near here.
    Thanks Mark

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

What nice gesture. I think the makings of a good grill/fry is very acceptable, so rashers, sausages, pudding, eggs, beans. Most people like those too so they're safe to buy.
    Could you pop in a gift voucher for the rest? Then she could get things that she and her kids like and need.

I've moved this into Food & Drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Fresh fruit and veg from aldi or lidl would be a good start. Also if there is a wholesale meat market close to you it would stretch your money that little bit further. Fairplay OP not many people think like you these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭daheff

Mark,

Thats really decent of you to think of doing this. And while you have the best of intentions at heart, please stop and think of this from this ladys perspective first.

You've already offered her some money and she wouldnt take it. How will coming home and finding food on her doorstep make her feel? As you've tried to give her money before she'll probably know it was you and might feel angry about it, or feel awkward talking to you again.
    How will her kids take it? What if their friends/schoolmates see it and they get bullied over it?

I'm not trying to put you off doing this at all. But before you do, stop and think of how she might feel finding this.

It might be better to talk with somebody in the local SVP and tell them about her. They are more experienced in helping people in this situation and might be able to provide more help than you could ever imagine. It might also be easier for her to accept help from them than from a neighbour. You could donate your money to SVP instead of directly to her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

stick a Tesco or dunnes or supervalue gift card through her door in an envelope

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

daheff wrote: »
    Mark,

Thats really decent of you to think of doing this. And while you have the best of intentions at heart, please stop and think of this from this ladys perspective first.

You've already offered her some money and she wouldnt take it. How will coming home and finding food on her doorstep make her feel? As you've tried to give her money before she'll probably know it was you and might feel angry about it, or feel awkward talking to you again.
    How will her kids take it? What if their friends/schoolmates see it and they get bullied over it?

I'm not trying to put you off doing this at all. But before you do, stop and think of how she might feel finding this.

It might be better to talk with somebody in the local SVP and tell them about her. They are more experienced in helping people in this situation and might be able to provide more help than you could ever imagine. It might also be easier for her to accept help from them than from a neighbour. You could donate your money to SVP instead of directly to her.
    Oh Dear ! Now you have me thinking. I accept your point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

finix wrote: »
    I would like to leave some shopping for her when she is out.
    daheff wrote: »
    How will coming home and finding food on her doorstep make her feel?

Honestly, I'd feel a little creeped out if I came home and found groceries on the doorstep, and would also be a little extremely wary about using them. I'd be wondering if someone had tampered with them, how long have they been sitting out there (would I trust meat/dairy that had been sitting out for a long time), had the crows/mice/cats/dogs got at it.

A voucher would be best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Thoie wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd feel a little creeped out if I came home and found groceries on the doorstep, and would also be a little extremely wary about using them. I'd be wondering if someone had tampered with them, how long have they been sitting out there (would I trust meat/dairy that had been sitting out for a long time), had the crows/mice/cats/dogs got at it.

A voucher would be best.
    That is Paranoid to the MAX. I really have heard it all now ! I thought there was nobody out there like you. I will drop in a gift card !
    PS I am hiding under your bed ! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭daheff

Look whatever you decide to do, its still a genuinely nice thing to want to do for somebody that you know is struggling.

Just wish there were more people like you out there. The world would be a much better place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Someone already said this but buy her a Tesco gift card that she can put towards what she needs herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

finix wrote: »
    That is Paranoid to the MAX. I really have heard it all now ! I thought there was nobody out there like you. I will drop in a gift card !
    PS I am hiding under your bed ! :eek:

Seriously? I wouldn't touch stuff that just appeared on my doorstep either, not unless I knew who had put it there and how long it had been there. I think it is pretty stalkerish even if the underlying thought is just a generous one. Definitely voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Split

OP - What a really sweet gesture . I'm disheartened for you with the responses - If someone did something as sweet if I had a time in need I think I would be hugely grateful .

So nice of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Don't get me wrong, I'd be touched by the gesture and grateful (provided I knew who it came from). Anonymous food parcels _are_ a little creepy.

And from a food safety perspective "not eating refrigerated goods that have been sitting in the open for an unknown period of time" is perfectly reasonable.

In addition to that, I've also fired off two rounds of a shotgun under the bed, just in case ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A gift card would be best, imho. If you wanted to buy foodstuffs - I'd stay away from fresh fruit & veg & go for store-cupboard staples such as pasta, rice, tinned veg, etc. Basically anything that has a long shelf life as you probably have no idea what she or her family cooks/eats.

Fair play, dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Really nice idea.
    As others have said, I'd avoid getting the actual groceries.
    I'd only do that if I knew the person well, and could call in, see what they need and help unpack them myself... like a close friend or family member.
    A voucher card with a note is best idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

What a nice idea. I think what you are doing is amazing. I would go with the idea of a gift card and a note telling her that you would like her to treat her family to something nice for the weekend.

Advertisement