Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please re in-laws dog

• 14-02-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Following on from other posts about the situation with my in-laws dog, I need some advice for this weather. At the moment I am going over to him first thing, letting him out of his shed, taking him for a quick walk for toileting, feeding him, straightening up his bedding and cleaning out any poops, then he is tied up but is in the yard where mother in law would be in and out of the back door and he can go into his shed and lie down if he wants. I go over around lunchtime and take him for as long a walk as poss depending on weather then back to the tied up situation then in the evening I'll either go over again or my husband will be home from work and he will be let off for a run or walked again and then my husband will put him into bed around 9/10/11 depending on what time he finishes on the farm.

So, to my question, this weather at the moment with the wind and rain, I'm leaving out as normal, so he can be outside in the yard or be in his shed, his shed door is always open, the other day when it was really bad gales and rain I went over and put him in his shed for a couple of hours (door closed) because the weather was so bad I didn't want the rain going into his shed and I wanted him to be out of the weather completely, I left him in for a couple of hours till it died down, I'm wondering if it's best to leave him out in this or close his shed door, he is normally lying or sitting on his bed in the shed anyway just sort of looking out the door, he has his bed opposite the door but I've just made up another bed further inside the shed as well. Do you think it's best to leave the door open so he can still see the world go by or to close the door when it gets bad wind/rain and leave him in?

Thanks for any advice (bringing him inside the house is not an option sadly please see my previous posts on this)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Following on from other posts about the situation with my in-laws dog, I need some advice for this weather. At the moment I am going over to him first thing, letting him out of his shed, taking him for a quick walk for toileting, feeding him, straightening up his bedding and cleaning out any poops, then he is tied up but is in the yard where mother in law would be in and out of the back door and he can go into his shed and lie down if he wants. I go over around lunchtime and take him for as long a walk as poss depending on weather then back to the tied up situation then in the evening I'll either go over again or my husband will be home from work and he will be let off for a run or walked again and then my husband will put him into bed around 9/10/11 depending on what time he finishes on the farm.

So, to my question, this weather at the moment with the wind and rain, I'm leaving out as normal, so he can be outside in the yard or be in his shed, his shed door is always open, the other day when it was really bad gales and rain I went over and put him in his shed for a couple of hours (door closed) because the weather was so bad I didn't want the rain going into his shed and I wanted him to be out of the weather completely, I left him in for a couple of hours till it died down, I'm wondering if it's best to leave him out in this or close his shed door, he is normally lying or sitting on his bed in the shed anyway just sort of looking out the door, he has his bed opposite the door but I've just made up another bed further inside the shed as well. Do you think it's best to leave the door open so he can still see the world go by or to close the door when it gets bad wind/rain and leave him in?

Thanks for any advice (bringing him inside the house is not an option sadly please see my previous posts on this)

Im of no use on this Im afraid but i just wanted to say, you really have a heart of gold, fair play to you for looking after him so well... and he's not even your own dog.

He really is very lucky to have you and your husband ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks hun, I just wish so much I could get her to let him into the kitchen just for a bit of warmth but it's a fruitless task. I've just put a coat on him now belonging to one of my dogs for some extra warmth I don't know if he'll keep it on because obviously he's never had a coat on him before but it's so cold I just can't bear it, hoping husband can set up a heat lamp or something for him now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Your inlaws a not very good dog owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

could you get him one of those plastic kennels & put it into his shed?it will keep any wind & rain off his bed & help him keep a bit warmer.Then you could leave the door open.
    You can get them cheap enough on adverts.ie or donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Thanks hun, I just wish so much I could get her to let him into the kitchen just for a bit of warmth but it's a fruitless task.

To be honest though, if he has always been outside, he has probably built up a some of a coat for outdoors.

• Advertisement

To be honest though, if he has always been outside, he has probably built up a some of a coat for outdoors.

Well yes he does have a thick collie coat but still it's very cold and he feels cold when I cuddle him, the coat has made a difference already though.

Forgot to say we have made a kennel for him within his shed so he's raised off the ground with a pallet and then waterproof lining and then soft bedding underneath him and pallets all round him with carpet tacked on and a roof so that has also made a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Well yes he does have a thick collie coat but still it's very cold and he feels cold when I cuddle him, the coat has made a difference already though.

Forgot to say we have made a kennel for him within his shed so he's raised off the ground with a pallet and then waterproof lining and then soft bedding underneath him and pallets all round him with carpet tacked on and a roof so that has also made a difference
    Well at least you are very kind to the dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Can you prop the door open a third/half way so he can still go in and out but is shielded him from most of the wind and rain getting in?

I remember your thread Tranceypoo, heartbreaking stuff. You're literally this dogs life saver now so fair play to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Well done for looking this dog - sounds like no one else is :(

Could you put a dog flap on the door or even cut a hole in it. that way you could close it which would keep the majority of the bad weather out but the dog could still go in and out as needs be. It could be done so that you could slot the piece back in if you needed to close it up completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Its so hard to see a dog like your in-laws dog with no real human contact - except what you do. We rescued (well stole actually!) a collie and no matter what we tried - and we tried everything for years - he would never come in to the house - live outside in all weathers. Broke my heart. You are lucky to be able to get a coat on him - I cant remember how old he is? - we could never get one on our old boy he was so nervous. Putting a flap/cutting a hole in the door would be great if its feasible. His coat is probably insulated enough from living semi-outside, as long as he is well fed he will be able to keep himself warm. You could get some sort of heat-pad for his bed, if you cant rig up a heatlamp? Dont beat yourself up, he is probably as acclimatised to the weather as can be, so just keep on doing what you are doing - you are his lifeline

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    Its so hard to see a dog like your in-laws dog with no real human contact - except what you do. We rescued (well stole actually!) a collie and no matter what we tried - and we tried everything for years - he would never come in to the house - live outside in all weathers. Broke my heart. You are lucky to be able to get a coat on him - I cant remember how old he is? - we could never get one on our old boy he was so nervous. Putting a flap/cutting a hole in the door would be great if its feasible. His coat is probably insulated enough from living semi-outside, as long as he is well fed he will be able to keep himself warm. You could get some sort of heat-pad for his bed, if you cant rig up a heatlamp? Dont beat yourself up, he is probably as acclimatised to the weather as can be, so just keep on doing what you are doing - you are his lifeline

He's about 12 years old, actually very affectionate, loves being stroked and even cuddled, I mean I sit down on his bed and he will lean right into me and let me put my arms round him and rub him, he can't get enough of that! He's used to human contact, just not affection!

I have been put onto heat pads by DBB, ordering one this week for him, husband can't find the heat lamp but to be honest I think the heat pad thing is safer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Ive seen a post on Gain dog food site saying that if you fill a sock full of rice, microwave it and place in your dogs bed the heat helps dogs arthritis.

While you dog may not have arthritis if may be of use while you are waiting for the heat lamp.

I should say I have no idea how the rice and sock works but am interested to hear!

Advertisement