Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eVision\eFibre\Speeds\etc.

Options
  • 14-02-2014 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭

Afternoon guys.

This will be a bit of a ramble of questions, but if you bear with me.....

I'm thinking about getting in eVision, but I'm worried about my broadband speeds being affected.

I currently have a 50mb connection, which is apparently all my exchange can handle. If I was to get eVision, what will my speed drop to? My main concern is that even though I'm getting nearly 50mb wirelessly when near the router, when I'm out the back of the house on the laptop, it drops to 15mb. So if half is set aside for stability and I'm down to 25mb, my laptop is down to 7mb, which would suck!

Also, I was thinking about maybe getting more than one multiroom box. Is there a limit as to how many multiroom boxes you can have, as for a fiver a month, I'd get 3 or 4 around the house. Also, how are they connected? Are they hardwired or wireless?

There's an offer of BT Sports for 2 months if I sign up. If I have the HD pack, will I get HD Sports?

Finally, any idea as to why my exchange can only run 50mb? Surely when they were upgrading it they'd have given it the full 70mb ability?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Soarer wrote: »
    Afternoon guys.

This will be a bit of a ramble of questions, but if you bear with me.....

I'm thinking about getting in eVision, but I'm worried about my broadband speeds being affected.

I currently have a 50mb connection, which is apparently all my exchange can handle. If I was to get eVision, what will my speed drop to? My main concern is that even though I'm getting nearly 50mb wirelessly when near the router, when I'm out the back of the house on the laptop, it drops to 15mb. So if half is set aside for stability and I'm down to 25mb, my laptop is down to 7mb, which would suck!

Also, I was thinking about maybe getting more than one multiroom box. Is there a limit as to how many multiroom boxes you can have, as for a fiver a month, I'd get 3 or 4 around the house. Also, how are they connected? Are they hardwired or wireless?

There's an offer of BT Sports for 2 months if I sign up. If I have the HD pack, will I get HD Sports?

Finally, any idea as to why my exchange can only run 50mb? Surely when they were upgrading it they'd have given it the full 70mb ability?

Hi Soarer

Thanks for your interest, I can confirm that once evision is ordered 20MB is automatically taken as a stabilisation method. When the main box is in use speeds will be reduced by a further 9MB and for every multiroom an average of 6MB is subsequently taken. 

Multiroom boxes are connected to the evision box using power adaptor home plugs which transmit the signal through power sockets in your house.

In relation to your current speeds this is usually based on distance from the Cabinet as all exchanges upgraded are initially upgraded to 70MB.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Soarer

Hi Soarer

Thanks for your interest, I can confirm that once evision is ordered 20MB is automatically taken as a stabilisation method. When the main box is in use speeds will be reduced by a further 9MB and for every multiroom an average of 6MB is subsequently taken. 

So if I'm reading that right, if I get hd with multiroom and have hd running on both boxes, my internet speed will drop to 15mb (50-20-9-6)?

Multiroom boxes are connected to the evision box using power adaptor home plugs which transmit the signal through power sockets in your house.

Cool.

In relation to your current speeds this is usually based on distance from the Cabinet as all exchanges upgraded are initially upgraded to 70MB.

I'm only about half a mile from the exchange. It's a relatively new estate (< 6 years old) and my house is fairly new (< 3 years old). Can you think of any reason why I shouldn't be able to get the 70mb?

Thanks Al.

Hi Soarer

So if I'm reading that right, if I get hd with multiroom and have hd running on both boxes, my internet speed will drop to 15mb (50-20-9-6)?

Cool.

I'm only about half a mile from the exchange. It's a relatively new estate (< 6 years old) and my house is fairly new (< 3 years old). Can you think of any reason why I shouldn't be able to get the 70mb?

Thanks Al.

Hi Soarer

Yes that is correct; your speed could drop to 15mb when all services are active.

Beyond distance from the cabinet I would not be able to see what would be causing the speeds to be limited to 50MB but the best advice I can offer surrounding your current efibre speeds is to raise this with efibre technical support, they can be contacted on free phone 1901 (options 3 then 2 when prompted) or on 1890260260,

Sorry I don't have better news Soarer

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks for the info Al.

Doesn't look great does it? If I was on the 70mb, it'd be grand as I could lose the 20mb for stability and still be up at 35mb with HD channels running.

Don't know if you know the answer but if ye're using fibre like UPC are using fibre, how can they offer HD tv without a drop in their 120mb broadband? They're not in my area like.

Thanks for the info Al.

Doesn't look great does it? If I was on the 70mb, it'd be grand as I could lose the 20mb for stability and still be up at 35mb with HD channels running.

Don't know if you know the answer but if ye're using fibre like UPC are using fibre, how can they offer HD tv without a drop in their 120mb broadband? They're not in my area like.
    Hi Soarer

I can understand your feelings as this can be an inconvenience if heavily reliant on faster speeds.

I don't know the about UPC and I'm afraid I'm unable to comment on their network.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 rfallon

Thanks Alan for the information. I have just ordered e-vision but I'm having second thoughts:

I had read different threads on this and getting slower bb seemed on the cards but Nicholas that sold the service said that getting reduced speeds was a nonsense. However, you work for Eircom and you're saying something different. They rang today about installation which I wanted to push off and asked the lady again to get a second opinion. She said that you lose 18mb when the box is switched on and an additional 2mb if you're using HD. This is regardless of if you're just watching or recording. Now you're saying something else. So that's 3 different opinions on what is a pretty deterministic thing. Can we have the definitive answer please and can this be published and prospective customers made aware of it please? Many customers won't be as savvy as people on here and won't be impressed at being stung. 

Can you also confirm how you can get your capacity back up to 50mb? Is putting the box in standby enough? What about when you're recording something? And when you're recording and watching something at the same time?

I also find it surprising that I get 50mb now, pay Eircom money for the TV service but it's coming out of the capacity that I'm already paying for. Why not upgrade customers to 70mb for free if they can get it and have them keep their 50mb?

One more question on this: Does e-vision use wifi or does it use wired? Right now, I get about 35MB on Wi-Fi. If the 20MB+ comes out of Wi-Fi then I'll be down to 15Mb/s? (Note that the 35Mb/s download speed is not a limitation of the devices connected - I've run a test on an iPhone and iPad at the same time and they total the values given. The devices are approximately in the same location that the TV would be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi rfallon,

This would run through your eFibre.

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony, when you say that it is run through your eFibre, what does that mean? The router using Wi-Fi? Can you have a look at my other questions? One additional question, does this eat into your 30GB allowance?

Regards
    Ray

rfallon wrote: »
    Hi Tony, when you say that it is run through your eFibre, what does that mean? The router using Wi-Fi? Can you have a look at my other questions? One additional question, does this eat into your 30GB allowance?

Regards
    Ray
    Hi Ray,

When you avail of eVision it is connected to your eFibre modem which then allows it to work. This will have no effect on your download allowance. It will however reduce your eFibre speed by 20MB and when the eVison is in use it is reduced by a further 8MB.

Thanks,

Tony

• Advertisement

Ok. So now I have either asked Eircom representatives directly on the phone or I have asked here and I get a different answer from each person that I ask. How can I definitively know what the situation will be when I connect e-vision in my home. Here's the stats for me:

I'm 50MB and get about 47MB when it's close to the router (about 45MB where the TV is). These are PC tests using speedtest.net. iPad/iPhone shows reduced results but that's a problem with those devices not the router.
    I understand that the e-vision box is connected over Wi-Fi.
    So if I have one box, what speed can I expect for other devices in the home? Surely there's a fact sheet that is published and if not, then does this not breach consumer regulation? I shouldn't get a different answer every time I ask, e.g. 
    1) 18MB when box is on, 2MB on HD
    2) No impact at all
    3) 20MB pre-allocated whether box is on or not and 9MB when in use.
    etc.

rfallon wrote: »
    Ok. So now I have either asked Eircom representatives directly on the phone or I have asked here and I get a different answer from each person that I ask. How can I definitively know what the situation will be when I connect e-vision in my home. Here's the stats for me:

I'm 50MB and get about 47MB when it's close to the router (about 45MB where the TV is). These are PC tests using speedtest.net. iPad/iPhone shows reduced results but that's a problem with those devices not the router.
    I understand that the e-vision box is connected over Wi-Fi.
    So if I have one box, what speed can I expect for other devices in the home? Surely there's a fact sheet that is published and if not, then does this not breach consumer regulation? I shouldn't get a different answer every time I ask, e.g. 
    1) 18MB when box is on, 2MB on HD
    2) No impact at all
    3) 20MB pre-allocated whether box is on or not and 9MB when in use.
    etc.

Hi rfallon

I can assure you that 20mb is automatically allocated to the evision once ordered which will result in a 20MB loss of your usual speeds. A further 8MB is reduced when the evision box is in use and a further 2MB when in use for HD channels.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi All,
    I recently signed up for eFibre (well 6 months ago, but only available now).

My current Eircom Service was 7mb/s but this had deteriorated to between speeds of 2mb/s to 6mb/s based on the time of the tests  (Eircom sent me a new router, but the problem remains).

So for obvious reasons I'm anxious to get a better service in (based in North Kildare).

I have been offered 6 months of evision - GREAT,  (I don't really need it as I have 3 FTA combi-boxes and stream programs etc through TP-link wireless adaptors)

But now I concerned
    - Will Evision take up 20 of my 40-50 Mb/s. How can I remove this, if I decide its reducing my speed too much?
    - Will the wireless plugs interfere with my existing TP-links? (which we use 24/7)
    - Will the wireless plugs work via extension leads? (Some work well, other types don't perform well)

Good broadband is essential, as we have 3 x laptops, 2 x tablets, 4 x smartphones, 1 x ps3, 1xWii and a few other gadgets.

Any help or advice appreciated - Thanks in advance?

Bravobabe wrote: »
    Hi All,

My current Eircom Service was 7mb/s but this had deteriorated to between speeds of 2mb/s to 6mb/s based on the time of the tests  (Eircom sent me a new router, but the problem remains).

So for obvious reasons I'm anxious to get a better service in (based in North Kildare).

I have been offered 6 months of evision - GREAT,  (I don't really need it as I have 3 FTA combi-boxes and stream programs etc through TP-link wireless adaptors)

But now I concerned
    - Will Evision take up 20 of my 40-50 Mb/s. How can I remove this, if I decide its reducing my speed too much?
    - Will the wireless plugs interfere with my existing TP-links? (which we use 24/7)
    - Will the wireless plugs work via extension leads? (Some work well, other types don't perform well)

Good broadband is essential, as we have 3 x laptops, 2 x tablets, 4 x smartphones, 1 x ps3, 1xWii and a few other gadgets.

Hi Bravobabe

Yes 20MB is taken from existing speeds for stabilisation. A further 8MB is taken when the main evison box is in use and a further 6MB for an additional multi room box.

The wireless plugs would not interfere with existing TPlinks. Extension leads might cause issues however if they are a necessity the extender should be used on the first power socket of the extension.

Thanks
    Al

Hi All,

But now I concerned

Hi Bravobabe

Yes 20MB is taken from existing speeds for stabilisation. A further 8MB is taken when the main evison box is in use and a further 6MB for an additional multi room box.

The wireless plugs would not interfere with existing TPlinks. Extension leads might cause issues however if they are a necessity the extender should be used on the first power socket of the extension.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply

Question: If I find the evision is effecting my broadband speed can I just have it disconnected by making a phone call? (or does a technician have to call out)

Bearing in mind that I don't really need the evision, but I'm just trying it out to see what its like?

Hi All,

But now I concerned

Hi Bravobabe

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply

Question: If I find the evision is effecting my broadband speed can I just have it disconnected by making a phone call? (or does a technician have to call out)

Bearing in mind that I don't really need the evision, but I'm just trying it out to see what its like?
    No worries Bravobabe

Yes, if cancelled within the 18 month contract there is a cancellation fee of €150.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan,

I'm confused here.

I applied for Efibre Unlimited.
    The Eircom agent offered me "Evision FOC for 6 months as a sign-up offer
    and if I don't want it - I just have to cancel it at the end of the six months"

I'm presuming that I should be able to cancel it after 1 month or any stage up the six months - if I find it's killing my Efibre broadband reception or for any other reason?

Is this correct?

I'm presuming the €150 cancellation fee only applies, if a customer originally ordered Evision as part of their original order. (I can't see how it would apply if I didn't order it in the first place.)  

Thanks

Hi Alan,

I'm confused here.

I applied for Efibre Unlimited.
    The Eircom agent offered me "Evision FOC for 6 months as a sign-up offer
    and if I don't want it - I just have to cancel it at the end of the six months"

I'm presuming that I should be able to cancel it after 1 month or any stage up the six months - if I find it's killing my Efibre broadband reception or for any other reason?

Is this correct?

I'm presuming the €150 cancellation fee only applies, if a customer originally ordered Evision as part of their original order. (I can't see how it would apply if I didn't order it in the first place.)  

Thanks

HI Bravobabe,

Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused. It should have been made clear to you that it is free for the promotional period (six months) however an 18 month contract does exist with evision and an early cancellation free would still apply if it was cancelled within the 18 month period.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan,

I have have checked this out with Efibre and spoke to one of you colleagues "David"
    (as I was intending to cancel or change order placed yesterday)

He confirms:
    "This is a new offer Trial Period of 6 months with no cancellation fee, if you cancelled within the 6 months"

Can I be so bold and suggest that "Eircom" inform all their staff, so that they are all singing off the same hymn-sheet

Hi Alan,

I have have checked this out with Efibre and spoke to one of you colleagues "David"
    (as I was intending to cancel or change order placed yesterday)

He confirms:
    "This is a new offer Trial Period of 6 months with no cancellation fee, if you cancelled within the 6 months"

Can I be so bold and suggest that "Eircom" inform all their staff, so that they are all singing off the same hymn-sheet

Hi Bravobabe

I'm very sorry about this and I can confirm that what was advised is untrue; however I will of course send this for the attention of operations.

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,

Is there an update on this OFFER; 6 months Free Trial (with no cancelation fee)?

Hi Alan,

Is there an update on this OFFER; 6 months Free Trial (with no cancelation fee)?
    Hi Bravobabe

There is no further update and I can confirm that offer does not exist. There is an offer for 6 months free but a cancellation fee applies and it is not based on a trial period.

Thanks

Al

Hi Alan,

Hi Alan, I don't want to be a pain in the ar*e about this - but I have a print out of an online Chat Service from 01/05/2014 - where the Eircom agent states
    "If you cancel within the first 6 months during the trial period, there is no cancellation fee. After this one applies" 

Hi Alan,

Hi Alan, I don't want to be a pain in the ar*e about this - but I have a print out of an online Chat Service from 01/05/2014 - where the Eircom agent states
    "If you cancel within the first 6 months during the trial period, there is no cancellation fee. After this one applies"
    Hi Bravobabe,
    No problem you have received conflicting info so I understand completely. Actually Alans remarks are relevant for the eFibre plan but on April 13th eircom did introduce an offer for new customers to try eVision absolutely free for half a year. If they don’t it like they can simply call, cancel without early cease charges.
    So regarding the eVision webchat statement he was absolutely correct.
    Sorry for mixed message.
    Thanks
    Tony

Thanks Tony (and Alan too), that puts my mind at ease.

Efibre (including Evision) installed today.

Hoping all goes well and post views over the next few days.

Hi Bravobabe,

Good to hear :)

Let us know how you get on.

Tony

Hi
    08/05/2014 - Technician came at 11am and was gone by midday. Fully connected it up. Praise to technician

Speeds seem to be 50 Mb/s+

Everything seems to be working well and I'm happy with the setup (Qualified by - only have it a few hours).

Evision didn't become active and unable until after 8pm last night (but I presume that's normal and due to large numbers signing up etc, so no complaints there).

Router/network: I renamed my new Efibre router/network to the same name & login as my previous system. This meant that I didn't have to reset or reconnect all the individual devices (pc, netwooks, androids, phones, Wii, PS3, media players etc).

So Far - so good

Hi Bravobabe,

Delighted to hear you're up and running and all is well. If you do have any queries or need any help in the future be sure to let us know. :)

Tony

• Advertisement
Advertisement