Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Laptop - need box to return?

Options
  • 14-02-2014 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭

My month old laptop has a dicky hard drive & is being replaced by Powercity, however they are insisting I need to bring in the box to 'exchange' it. It's not a huge problem because I do have the box, just means I have to go home before heading out to them, but I thought that because it was faulty I was under zero obligation to return packaging to them? They can't repair & the way they're speaking about this is like I'm swapping it for a new laptop and they're being nice to me rather than seriously annoying, so I'd like to call them out on that if they're wrong. Do I need to bring back packaging for faulty goods to get an exchange?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

My month old laptop has a dicky hard drive & is being replaced by Powercity, however they are insisting I need to bring in the box to 'exchange' it. It's not a huge problem because I do have the box, just means I have to go home before heading out to them, but I thought that because it was faulty I was under zero obligation to return packaging to them? They can't repair & the way they're speaking about this is like I'm swapping it for a new laptop and they're being nice to me rather than seriously annoying, so I'd like to call them out on that if they're wrong. Do I need to bring back packaging for faulty goods to get an exchange?
    Thats ridiculous!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Called the National Consumer Agency and they said that although the shop might be reasonable in assuming I'd still have the packaging after a month they have no right to ask for it as a condition of replacing a faulty item. Going to bring it with me this evening, just because I have it and I don't need 2 laptop boxes lying around the place, but going to send them a complaint about it. Not on putting obstacles in the way of people who have gotten stuck with a faulty item

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Called the National Consumer Agency and they said that although the shop might be reasonable in assuming I'd still have the packaging after a month they have no right to ask for it as a condition of replacing a faulty item. Going to bring it with me this evening, just because I have it and I don't need 2 laptop boxes lying around the place, but going to send them a complaint about it. Not on putting obstacles in the way of people who have gotten stuck with a faulty item
    Give them the box from the new laptop in the shop.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You are under no obligation to return packaging with faulty items.

Obviously, it's nice if you can, as it just makes things easier, but it's not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Give them the box from the new laptop in the shop.:)

I have actually been asked to do that when getting an item replaced. Can't recall exactly what the item was, but certainly remember being asked to give the new box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

3rdDegree wrote: »
    I have actually been asked to do that when getting an item replaced. Can't recall exactly what the item was, but certainly remember being asked to give the new box.

While not an obligation, it certainly would be a courtesy to give them the box from the replacement to facilitate the packaging of the damaged item. It's no big deal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

While not an obligation, it certainly would be a courtesy to give them the box from the replacement to facilitate the packaging of the damaged item. It's no big deal really.

Except, depending what the item is, you can sell the empty box's on adverts :confused:
    http://www.adverts.ie/apple/apple-iphone-3g-3gs-empty-boxes/2896690

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Being asked wouldn't have been an issue, being told I had to bring the box in order to get a replacement was. Luckily I had the box or Powercity would have had a seriously shrill annoying person in their shop on Friday.

Got the laptop replaced on Friday & I'm going to mail them to bring it to their attention that what they're asking people to do in order to get faulty goods replaced isn't on, didn't seem like any point bringing it up, again, instore. Different if I was bringing my laptop back because I wanted one in a different colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I worked in retail many moons ago and generally what we did was use the box of the replacement and give the customer the product minus the box.

Advertisement