Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming: Hip position

Options
  • 14-02-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some suggestions please re: hip position. I've worked on my kick over the last year: kicking from the hip, flexible ankles, 'flutter' kick action, rotating drills etc. This has been of benefit, I get through my kick drills and maintain the kick during my actual swimming. But find when I tire during sets my hips drop.

Is there any other solution other than

1. Planks and more planks
    2. Just swim more so as not to tire in the first place?!

Not looking for a quick fix but anything else I can add to the list of things to work on would help. I find when I bury my head the hips rise more but an overly-submerged head generates issues too. I assume the issue is caused by non-existent glutes and a weaker lower back? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kick, kick, and more kicking. ;)

I find that the hips usually drop due to the kick, or lack thereof....and you mentioned that you notice the hips dropping when you tire - I'm guessing your legs are tiring along with the rest of your body. ?? If you want to determine just how effective your kick is, time yourself swimming 50 - 200 meters freestyle, then time yourself swimming the same distance with a pull buoy (there are various "test" you can do). This differential should help you assess just how much your kick does or does not contribute to the complete package. Of course, core work is never bad....and mind your upper body position too - chest, head, the way you breathe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Head position is another thing to watch. Your head may be coming up as you tire.

Advertisement