Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord profits from rental properties

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I could see where that would make sense in an apartment block not an estate. It would also require someone being on site in those situations.

What legislation is described in? and where in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

beauf wrote: »
    sorry I've no experience of a management company. I don't follow.

Why is there a statutory obligation for the MC to have the names and addresses of tenants? The LL I could understand. But the tenants? Why would a govt body hand out that data to a third party, like a MC. Or a mortgage provider? That would seem a breach of data protection.

The Multi Unit Development Act 2011 makes it a statutory requirement for all unit owners to provide their name and address and the names of any tenants if the property is rented and any other information the company so requires to undertake its duties.

The onus is on the unit owner to provide this, not the company to go looking it. Opting out of providing tenant information is not possible.

Never knew this.

Considering the DSP or Revenue won't give out tenants details to their own LL, I'm curious that they (and mortgage provider) will will give out this information to a Management company.

Never knew this.

Considering the DSP or Revenue won't give out tenants details to their own LL, I'm curious that they (and mortgage provider) will will give out this information to a Management company.

there is no suggestion they will?

Lantus wrote: »
    where a member fails in their statutory obligation to provide the OMC with their name, address and names of tenants then prior to expensive investigators or solicitors we make third party requests to the PRTB, revenue and their mortgage provider asking if they know where they live as the property is rented out. If we don't get any joy then we need to engage a solicitor, but the first three are cheaper.

If they don't whats the purpose of contacting them if they don't give out any information?

• Advertisement

If they don't whats the purpose of contacting them if they don't give out any information?

it is standard procedure of the OMC to advise members who refuse or fail to provide their address that we will undertake third party requests of these bodies advising that the property is rented out and we need to contact them if they don't produce their information as legally required. Failing that we undertake searches via investigators. Most people probably don't want the prtb, revenue or their mortgage provider knowing about the fact they are renting out the unit on the sly. At the end of the day tracking people down is a timewasting activity that's robs the directors of time they could be better spent doing something worthwhile. A small number of people use data protection to their advantage to hide from their contractual obligations and avoid paying their fees. Why should we show them kindness??

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭dinnyirwin

As I said before I have often called the PRTB to check on certain registrations, like name and date etc if I have forgotten. Sometimes they tell me there is no registration at that address. Eventually when I find the reciept (if they even bothered to send one to me) I find that I have indeed registered the tenant two or three years before and yet the PRTB tell me I havent.

PRTB dont know their arse from their elbow. So I wouldnt count on their records or what they tell you.

I must send them a letter asking if they are giving out my personal details to third parties on request. Surely thats not allowed, just as any management company with my personal details are not allowed to disclose any of that info to a third party either.

If I had a penny for every tenant who ever accused me of not registering with the PRTB or not paying my tax or mortgages I wouldnt need to work property for a living. It seems to be the goto position of anyone who feels hard done by for not getting an apartment or who has put a hole in a wall etc.

Lantus wrote: »
    it is standard procedure of the OMC to advise members who refuse or fail to provide their address that we will undertake third party requests of these bodies advising that the property is rented out and we need to contact them if they don't produce their information as legally required. Failing that we undertake searches via investigators. Most people probably don't want the prtb, revenue or their mortgage provider knowing about the fact they are renting out the unit on the sly. At the end of the day tracking people down is a timewasting activity that's robs the directors of time they could be better spent doing something worthwhile. A small number of people use data protection to their advantage to hide from their contractual obligations and avoid paying their fees. Why should we show them kindness??

I don't see how a MC could justify the time and expense, for so little gain. The stock reply to any issue on this forum is to report the LL to revenue and PRTB, so every LL must be reported 10 times over. The Govt could cross check their RA payments with the PRTB records if they wanted. I expect a LL playing this game is prepared wait until the tax man is actually at the door. I assume (perhaps wrongly) a MC have to go the expense of legal proceedings to recover moneys owed. I would question if the time and expense this would take would justify what would be recovered. A non paying owner, would proabably be thinking along those lines.

Anyway I wasn't really interested in any of that. I was interested if there was a data breech to third parties as was (IMO) being inferred.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 JohnGrace2007

Would run a Large Donegal Based Investment Portfolio of Properties In the North Donegal Region
    Have found Tenants that think Our Job is Easy and a road to vast wealth which it is not
    Others could careless as Long as Properties are Maintained and they see that they are getting Value for Money

Advertisement