Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to go about getting council to buy a house for my family?

Options
  • 14-02-2014 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

hi

I know that co council can buy a house for a family. Can someone tell me how to go about it? How to apply, how to start, what are the conditions.

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is there anything on the Meath Co.Co's site about shared ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Genuine question why do you feel they should?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Are you on the council waiting list?
    Ring them and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I don't know whether your information is correct? You can register with the council and be put on a list to rent a house from them. After 10 years renting (I think?), then you are eligible to buy the house from the council.
    A council will not just buy a house for you (nice and all as that notion is!).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Genuine question why do you feel they should?
    You might phrase this question more constructively.

ani_mal wrote: »
    I know that co council can buy a house for a family. Can someone tell me how to go about it? How to apply, how to start, what are the conditions.
    Councils don't buy properties 'just like that'. They might provide housing in certain circumstances, whether from existing stocks or otherwise.

Explaining your circumstances may help people point you in the right direction.

The first suggestion is that you will likely need to be on the council's housing list - apply to the council housing department.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

OP are you talking about share ownership, where the council give you a mortgage?

Advertisement