Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technological University to be forced to close "non-technological" departments?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Doylers wrote: »
    In a WIT course at the minute, I can guarantee next week 75% of my class will fail programming when the results come out. The place needs a massive shake up IMO from modules being very course specific to having decent lecturers not just someone who they can get when needed

If they fail then they're not suited to this area of IT. Programming can be self-taught and courses can only do some of the work. Some graduates with philosophy degrees would make better software developers than most students on these Mickey Mouse IT courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

fiachr_a wrote: »
    If they fail then they're not suited to this area of IT. Programming can be self-taught and courses can only do some of the work. Some graduates with philosophy degrees would make better software developers than most students on these Mickey Mouse IT courses.

Agree completely with you some people are programmers some are not I think its a very specific type of person you need to be. Sadly however subjects at least in my course(forensics) are not optional(until 4th year) so were forced to try be programmers when were not.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

In a WIT course at the minute, I can guarantee next week 75% of my class will fail programming when the results come out. The place needs a massive shake up IMO from modules being very course specific to having decent lecturers not just someone who they can get when needed

The remaining 25% will pass because they learned the material. I don't believe WIT needs a massive shakeup, there are some fantastic lecturers in the Computer and Science department who are suited for the modules taught.
    Agree completely with you some people are programmers some are not I think its a very specific type of person you need to be. Sadly however subjects at least in my course(forensics) are not optional(until 4th year) so were forced to try be programmers when were not.

I'm assuming you're talking about the course BSc Hons in Computer Forensics and Security? If so, I think it's crazy you expect to go through that course without the need for learning programming.

Advertisement