Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Grace period" - first week's wages withheld

Options
  • 14-02-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

So, I started a new job on Monday. They pay fortnightly. I had a chat with my workmate today and found out that the company I'm working for doesn't pay first week's wages, but pays them on the last day of employment. :eek: Apparently, they do it to make sure they're given proper two weeks notice. Needless to say, if one leaves work without giving them a notice, they just keep first week's wages to themselves...
    Now, I've been operating on this island for over 12 years, have worked for quite a few employers, but I never heard of such a practice.
    They said nothing about it during the interview. I haven't signed a contract with them yet.
    Is such a practice even legal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Absolute standard practice everywhere.
    A week in hand, a week behind, totally normal
    I actually in the 30 years I've been in the workplace with many different jobs I don't think I've ever not worked a week in hand.
    Basically if you give, or get given, a weeks notice, you get paid the Friday you finish, for example, and are still due a weeks wages, plus any unused holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    I actually in the 30 years I've been in the workplace with many different jobs I don't think I've ever not worked a week in hand.
    Basically if you give, or get given, a weeks notice, you get paid the Friday you finish, for example, and are still due a weeks wages, plus any unused holidays.

OK, now it kinda makes sense. Thanks a lot. First job like this for me here though.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

mrsbyrne wrote: »

I guess it depends on the job you have. I'm paid monthly, got paid in the month I started for the portion of the month I worked. Wouldn't have expected it any other way.

Advertisement