Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Year Hedge

• 14-02-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi All, its nearly time for me to get back out in to the garden. I want to start planting so hedges to cover my partitioning fence either side. Id like if the hedge had colour or leaves all year round. Im think Red Robin but before I buy does anyone suggest another type or even maybe mixing both...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

bren82 wrote: »
    Hi All, its nearly time for me to get back out in to the garden. I want to start planting so hedges to cover my partitioning fence either side. Id like if the hedge had colour or leaves all year round. Im think Red Robin but before I buy does anyone suggest another type or even maybe mixing both...?
    Privet or laurel both make better hedges than photinia and require less care in keeping them looking good all year round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Would second the Privet hedge idea, easy to maintain and can be shaped easily to what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bren82

Thanks Guys... I would like something with a bit more colour and not just the typical green. Like red robbin would have red all year round. Is there anything else out there along those sort of lines????
    Thanks for all your help much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not much red on my photinia at the moment, in fact its looking rather lax and a not very interesting shade of green. I do however have a green and gold euonymus which is looking very bright and healthy on a dull wet morning. Its about 6ft high.

Hi i just googled gold euonymus and thats along the lines of what i am after... in all the pictures it doesnt seem to grow that tall.. are you saying yours is 6foot tall??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry, just came back to correct my previous post, its an Elaeagnus, (brain is getting decrepit :-)) looks a bit similar but grows taller. Nice shrub! Might be a bit expensive for an entire hedge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lavin.ie

Fagus sylvatica aka Copper Beech, the foliage turns brown in the Autumn but is retained on the plant for most of the winter. When buying be sure to buy plants that are feathered (branches to whole way along the stem) otherwise the hedge becomes leggy and harder to thicken and form a hedge.
    Prunus lusitanica angustifolia, Good hedging plant, ever green, bare-rooted about €20.00 each wholesale, nice leaf-colour - shape and texture. Stems close to foliage is red in colour.

Problems with Photinia (Red Robin) It can get a bit leggy, though at the start the hedge looks good it tends to become too woody. The red foliage is in the new growth eventually turning green over time. With that in mind it is not good for a formal hedge.

Taxus baccata (Yew) Slow growing but great formal hedging, takes hard pruning well. Have it in my parents garden. Though the berries are harmless, the seed within is highly toxic.

Thanks for all the info...

Ill have to start googling all these names... thanks

Advertisement