Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a lock

• 14-02-2014 5:51pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm getting a ground anchor fitted but now need to buy a decent lock. I'll head up to cotters and bikeworld on saturday for a look and probably buy something, but any recommendations from the lads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Forget going to cotters etc and just go and buy an Almax chain and lock

Pricey but well worth it and after your last bike getting robbed personally i would want the best there is on my new one

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/product.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=73&CAT_ID=73&P_ID=129&btnProduct=More+Details

Alex the owner is great to deal with and delivery is very quick aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Definitely go with the Almax. No question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Yup, same as the above comments.
    Almax all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

nerrad1983 wrote: »
    Forget going to cotters etc and just go and buy an Almax chain and lock

Depends on what it's locked to though. No point having a whizz-bang lock if the bike can be lifted away.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Simon300

Almax sell a combo of lock, chain and ground anchor. The yellow ground anchor they sell is a decent bit of kit, the girlfriend has it in her driveway. If you get another ground anchor be sure to see if the Almax lock fits through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

How much is that chain and lock?

Edit. Never mind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Simon300 wrote: »
    Almax sell a combo of lock, chain and ground anchor. The yellow ground anchor they sell is a decent bit of kit, the girlfriend has it in her driveway. If you get another ground anchor be sure to see if the Almax lock fits through it.

Yes most normal ground anchors wont accept the almax chain its that big :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That Almax thing is a monster but I've already got the ground anchor and no way it will fit in. I just bought a lock today anway, its an Oxford hardcore XL - big heavy chain with a great lock that's designed to make it very difficult to try to break or cut. Realistically, you can never have something 100% secure, but having the bike anchored to the ground with a very big quality lock is going to be a major deterrent to any thief. I'm getting cctv put in directly above my bike now. New bike also has a great alarm with tilt sensors etc. If they are willing to have a go at that, well then they are probably willing to do anything to get the thing.

A few people have mentioned gps trackers to me. Anyone know anything about them? I know there are some cheap ones on ebay that aren't worth shyte, but I hear some are good and use a sim card and work with an app on your phone etc. Anyone have one that is any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭prunudo

What type of bike did you go for?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Big fast one! Not bought yet, will let you know when I get it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Zascar that Oxford lock might look the part but tbh its not great at all. I have one just for a deterant along with 2 huge Urban chains......I would deffo look into something else coz the oxfords are all bark and no bite if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Simon300

For your own sake have a look at Almax's wall of shame to give you an idea. I know you have the monster XL, and but the monster can be cropped in 3 seconds...

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.asp?pg=7

Jeasus, so it's Almax or nothing then?? I heard this was a really decent one and one of the most popular for that reason. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Got an almax too, wouldn't bother with anything else. Great for anchoring, not the most mobile of chains though

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Wow! I have an oxford lock, now considering getting an Almax lock after seeing that link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

In all fairness if they want your bike no lock is going to stop them. Underground car park provides the cover and then all they need is an angle grinder and off they go.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    In all fairness if they want your bike no lock is going to stop them. Underground car park provides the cover and then all they need is an angle grinder and off they go.

Yeah, your bike can always be taken no matter what. But if it's uncuttable with a bolt cutters, it's another group of people ruled out that can't steal it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

In fairness very very few scumbags are gonna take the time and effort to stand there and make that amount of noise for a bike. Chances of been heard and seen are through the roof with that approach and they are not gonna start that at 4am.

But yes, if its a professional ring of stolen to order crew then they are taking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah, your bike can always be taken no matter what. But if it's uncuttable with a bolt cutters, it's another group of people ruled out that can't steal it.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In fairness very very few scumbags are gonna take the time and effort to stand there and make that amount of noise for a bike. Chances of been heard and seen are through the roof with that approach and they are not gonna start that at 4am.

But yes, if its a professional ring of stolen to order crew then they are taking it.

But both of the above state that the Oxford XL is enough to deter the normal run of the mill, opportunistic scum bag. I don't see many lads walking around with 4 foot bolt cutters under their jackets.

But both of the above state that the Oxford XL is enough to deter the normal run of the mill, opportunistic scum bag. I don't see many lads walking around with 4 foot bolt cutters under their jackets.

Exactly. The cops told me that if they catch a local toerag with a bolt cutters they can nik them - so its unlikely.

I had my mountain bike stolen once, I had a lock like this on it - not cheap. What they actualy did was got a big pole and twisted it around in knots until it shattered. A bolt cutters would be easier but they dont want to take the risk.

I'm sure Almax are great but at double the price of an already well regarded lock is a bit much. Most of these things are deterrents only. The bike will have an alarm with tilt sensor, an immobiliser, and big huge chain connected to a ground anchor, in a gated underground carpark with CCTV looking directly at it. I'll also have a cover on it when not in use. Seriously if that does not put them off I dont know what will. Short of taking it up in the lift with me to my apartment I dont know what else I can do.

Back to the GPS thing - Some say these things are not worth shyte, but would they be worth a shot?
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mini-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Tracker-GPS-Motor-Bike-Car-Tracking-system-Device-GT02A-/141043107537?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item20d6d306d1
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hidden-Car-Auto-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Mini-GPS-Tracker-GSM-Tracking-Device-New-/121159716071?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c35ae8ce7

You put a cheap sim card in them so you call/text then and it gives the location. Another one lets you listen in to the noise/conversation around!

• Advertisement

The type of person who'll rob your bike couldn't give a rats ass if they were caught with a bolt cutters by the garda though.
    Obviously in security you can always go a step further in preventing theft and you have to draw the line somwhere, but the way I see it is one chain is as convienient as another, you might as well go the extra few quid and get the almax.
    Was a post on here before about getting crane lifting chain too, not sure where you go to get it or even how you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

check the issue of either Bike or Ride in the shops at the moments. I had a flick through but didn't buy it, so not sure which it was. but they had an article on bike thief's. going through pros and cons (excuse the pun) of what was out there. then went thought about 10 different chains and ground anchors. looked fairly comprehensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

really good chain you say? :p

wheel%20and%20chain%20of%20stolen%20motorcycle.jpg

I was actually thinking of that myself. I'd always lock the rear as harder to get off, but nothing stopping them whipping it off quick, a new wheel is east and cheap!

No matter what you do, they're always be a way. I read of a guy in finglas who had a syringe held up to him at the lights and told to get off the bike!

Advertisement