Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query: Rent payments

Options
  • 14-02-2014 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Sorry that I am sidetracking this a bit!! Would anyone be able to explain this to me. My mind is just gone blank!!My daughter is in a 4 bed rented house in Dublin & rent is paid on 17th of each month through a Letting Agent. The person in whose name the rent is in & whose account it comes out of monthly is leaving & it looks like my daughter has to take this on. They have a new tenant got. When the new tenant moves in on 17th Feb, she will pay 1 months rent & 1 months deposit. The deposit will go to the Letting Agent & will the 1 months rent be for period until 17th march & when will the new tenant next rent be due? Sorry for all the stupid questions!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

hillbloom wrote: »
    Sorry that I am sidetracking this a bit!! Would anyone be able to explain this to me. My mind is just gone blank!!My daughter is in a 4 bed rented house in Dublin & rent is paid on 17th of each month through a Letting Agent. The person in whose name the rent is in & whose account it comes out of monthly is leaving & it looks like my daughter has to take this on. They have a new tenant got. When the new tenant moves in on 17th Feb, she will pay 1 months rent & 1 months deposit. The deposit will go to the Letting Agent & will the 1 months rent be for period until 17th march & when will the new tenant next rent be due? Sorry for all the stupid questions!!!

From what you've said, I'd think the new tenant's next rent payment will be on the 17th of March

Not sure why your daughter has to act as the collections agent for the house though - unless she wants to? What happens if someone in the house is late with the money to her etc..

I think they should just pay the agent their share individually myself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP I've split your thread out as it was derailing the existing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Thank you Morrigan.!!The Letting Agent wont agree to individual payments. The lease must be in one persons bank account. I just cant get my head around the change over.

hillbloom wrote: »
    Thank you Morrigan.!!The Letting Agent wont agree to individual payments. The lease must be in one persons bank account. I just cant get my head around the change over.

I personally wouldn't be happy (and presumably liable) being forced to take on the responsibility of making sure random people I shared with coughed up their part of the rent

Sounds to me like the letting agent doesn't want the hassle of doing their job - collecting the rent - and so is trying to force your daughter to do it for them.

Does she/they have any contact with the landlord? I'd take it up with them directly if so as the arrangement the agent is trying to enforce almost sounds like sub-letting which may be against the terms of the lease or landlord's wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

The Landlords dont want dealing with tenants at all nowadays. I gave a look at Daft.ie & its all letting Agents. I dont like her taking this responsibility but the only option is to take a room & move in with strangers. She has lived with the other tenants & they were ok at paying who already was responsible for the rent. Its a nightmare!!

• Advertisement

And what would happen if she refuses? They can't evict her as long as she pays her share after all.

I wouldn't accept it myself. It's not my job to make sure other people pay their bills to someone else! Especially when there's already someone (the agent) being PAID to do exactly that!

But that's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    And what would happen if she refuses? They can't evict her as long as she pays her share after all.

I wouldn't accept it myself. It's not my job to make sure other people pay their bills to someone else! Especially when there's already someone (the agent) being PAID to do exactly that!

But that's me.

Ahh, if the lease-holder is moving on and the lease needs to be re-assigned, then either someone acceptable to the agent needs to take the lease or, or yes they could evict some randoms who happen to be there without a lease.

Personally, I wouldn't live in a place with other people unless I had visibility of whether or not they have paid. And that means having it go through one person's account, and I'd far rather that was me.

Remember that if it's a joint lease, then the tenants are jointly responsible for the rent payment. If they pay individually, then they don't know who has and hasn't paid.

OP - with respect, this is your daughter's problem, not yours. She's the one who needs to get her head around it, not you. (Unless you're paying her rent for her.) If she needs advice, she'd be better posting here herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dede12

Can they set up a separate bank account just for the house that the rent is paid into each month? That way at least your daughter isn't going to to end up in a situation where her personal bank balance is being dinged by a automatic payment to landlord for the full rent amount if some of the housemates haven't paid their share on time. It could be in one (or maybe all?) of the tenants names if that makes it easier. That way house/rent money is separate from everyone's personal money so no one person has to risk an overdraft on their personal account.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

But that's me.

It depends on the situation. If each room is being rented separately then I'd agree with you. However, if the house was rented on a single lease and its just a case of one person moving out then the landlord/agent has every right to expect the rent to be paid in full in a single transaction and not to have to chase each tenant separately.

In the latter scenario the rent is due on the 17th irrespective of when the new tenant moves in. How they sort the rent out is up to the tenants; bottom line is that the rent must be available in full on the 17th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

One of the principles of renting a house with all tenants on the same lease (whether original tenants or assignees) is that the rent is paid as a single lump sum.

It is for the tenants to agree among themselves how this is done. If your daughter takes on the job of paying the rent through her bank account, she needs to advise the other tenants that she has to receive their contributions 4 days before the rent is due so that she can lodge it to her bank account.
    Originally Posted by Kaiser2000 viewpost.gif

But that's me.

If the full rent is not paid on time, then all tenants would be considered as being in arrears and all could be evicted irrespective of who is late with their contribution. Remember, all tenants are jointly and severally liable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As per above- all tenants are considered jointly and severally liable for any payments due. If your daughter agrees to pay the rent (and bills) from her bank account- she undertakes this responsibility- and undertakes to chase those who are tardy with their payments, to ensure a single payment is made, when it is due.

Personally I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole- unless I was very close to those I was renting with - its quite an onerous duty- and it only takes one blaggard to mess things up for everyone else in the house.

Unless your daughter can get the situation changed- I'd suggest she move.

Advertisement