Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec engineer needed - Carlow

Options
  • 14-02-2014 7:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40

I've given up on trying to get my alarm back working myself. I think the external siren is gone (no lights flashing on it) and I have a faulty smoke detector in garage (although I do have two replacement working detectors).

Biggest problem is that I don't have an engineer code as yet (I'll be knocking on my installers door very soon). I'd appreciate any contact details from a reputable company that could help me.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is the external bell working?
    The lLEDs fade over time but that doesn't mean that it's not good.
    What eerror are you getting re the smoke alarm?
    These errors are often simpler than you think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 CollyFowler

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is the external bell working?
    The lLEDs fade over time but that doesn't mean that it's not good.
    What eerror are you getting re the smoke alarm?
    These errors are often simpler than you think.

Hi Koolkid.

I cannot set my alarm it is getting a 5AB fault and displaying "22 Call Engineer" on the panels. It was operating ok until I went to change a faulty smoke detector (that fired the alarm frequently) in my garage. I think years worth of dust had got into the smokehead so I replaced. I bought two S60 smoke interface detectors and smokeheads from donedeal. The old S60 interface detector looked slightly different to the new ones, the new ones are encased in a red rubber-like sleeve and slightly bulkier than the older slim white one.

When I fitted it I couldn't set the alarm as it gave the 5AB error. I even tried to fit the old smoke detector and smokehead but I still got the 5AB error. I never touched the alarm box or external siren at any stage. And I'm pretty certain that I've caused this purely from the smokie replacing.

Perhaps I mixed or touched the two cables coming from the alarm box to the smoke detector and shorted out the external siren (its my understanding that they are connected to the same area on the alarm).
    Is that possible? I'm sure the external box had two nice blue lights recently but there are no lights on it now :(.

1gkn4x.jpg
    53ls79.jpg
    vdzjlu.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

OK
    The best way to handle this is to take it back to basics.
    Disconnect everything from the sounders bus & add them back one by one and see if the panel is seeing them.

OK
    The best way to handle this is to take it back to basics.
    Disconnect everything from the sounders bus & add them back one by one and see if the panel is seeing them.

Thanks. I managed to get in contact with my elusive alarm guy. He basically done and you suggested and there is certainly a problem with the bell box.
    Don't have a big enough ladder at the moment to reach it so he removed it from the system and at least I have a working alarm minus the bellbox.

I also got the engineers code (which had been changed from default 4711).

I managed to source a replacement bellbox on donedeal for 35euro so I'll swap it out over the coming weeks.

Thanks for your time and help.

Have you tried connecting each device one by one?
    This could just as easily be another device or a bad connection.

• Advertisement

Have you tried connecting each device one by one?
    This could just as easily be another device or a bad connection.

We tried the bellbox by itself and it wasn't being recognised. No we have the 4 smokies connected fine but as soon as we connect the bellbox it brings down the bus.

Bellbox disconnected now and everything else working fine.

Seems likely allright. To be sure it's not a cable issue disconnect from up at the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TillyT

I have the same issue with the same alarm :( Would you have the engineers manual for this alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Also looking for an Astec install manual, need to get into enginner mode to view stored events, keeps triggering in the middle of the night =/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Also looking for an Astec install manual, need to get into enginner mode to view stored events, keeps triggering in the middle of the night =/

Sent you the manual by P.M.

• Advertisement
Advertisement