Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rene Meulensteen sacked...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Hopefully Moyes realises he is missing a great coach and that is Rene. If he comes back then we should see some player's spirits lifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Some of these owners have no common sense at least Man Utd are giving David Moyes a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

mikeym wrote: »
    Some of these owners have no common sense at least Man Utd are giving David Moyes a chance.

There's enough of people discussing this in the Utd thread so I won't go into it, but I don't know why. After the Stoke and Fulham games how anyone can defend Moyes is beyond me. I was defending him up until those performances...

But the Rene situation is different, they're fighting for their lives and he was almost off the back of getting two draws vs the two biggest clubs in England, one in flying form and the other with a point to prove. Awful decision to sack him if it was for football reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Holtby is probably begging Tim Sherwood for a recall about now.

Car crash appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Why don't you bring back the pass back rule while you are at it.

Panic is entertaining.

Football is more than entertainment - the panic levels in the Premiership is not good for football , and as I said , is it any wonder so many players (and that includes Irish ) fail to develop properly - too much pressure is not a good thing in any sport - maybe it is entertaing for Sky sports news armchair fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I welcome this appointment.

Cannot wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

thelad95 wrote: »
    What an utter disgrace. Surely someone has got to step in and stop this sort of thing from happening. Destroying smaller clubs like Fulham. It's sad to think how just two seasons ago Fulham were playing in Europe and a comfortable mid to upper table side. I don't think anyone will ever forget that game against Juve incredible stuff.

What sickens me the most is Meulensteen was beginning to make progress and had made a number of big signings already. Two good performances against Liverpool and Man U as well. He may not have been Fulham's saviour and in all honesty, I think they still would have gone down but you have to give a man a chance.

As for Meulensteen, between this and the disgrace at Anzhi, I wouldn't be surprised if he was sitting at home with the curtains closed and the lights off. What a year for him.

Meulensteen wasn't making progress at all. The two games people are referring to - they drew at Old Trafford when 2-0 up, not the result it was even up until last season as teams such as West Brom, Newcastle and Southampton have all taken results from. They lost against Liverpool. Performances mean little for a team in Fulham's position, it's all about points. 1 point from 2 games was their total for those two games. Hardly progress.

It's obvious he had very little to do with the incoming signings. That's down to McIntosh and Curbishley. Either way they purchased purely attacking players apart from one, when their problem is they can't stop conceding goals.

Why should Fulham have stuck with him? If they'd gone down and he got an offer from a club in a better position he'd inevitably have pissed off to them straight away. It works both ways.

He had virtually no experience as a manager, thought he was the second coming of Alex Ferguson, and didn't produce results. He had 17 games in charge and won 4 of them, they've only taken 10 points from his 13 league games as manager, that's relegation form. They've been battered by Sunderland and Hull, failed to beat Sheffield United over two games, took nothing from Southampton, West Ham and Swansea.

They may well still go down, but Magath has a CV that Meulensteen wouldn't achieve in 10 lifetimes as a manager. At least they're rolling the dice and giving it a go rather than going down without a whimper under Meulenesteen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 11m
    Sky sources: Ray Wilkins sacked by Fulham but Alan Curbishley to remain at the club - full story on #SSN

my word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

AdamD wrote: »
    Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 11m
    Sky sources: Ray Wilkins sacked by Fulham but Alan Curbishley to remain at the club - full story on #SSN

my word

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTo2Y8jJRT9fNAfZZxRAglq4Xt30K0HfMgLbL-rymPHzS6ugeXe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/10651719/Felix-Magath-feels-sorry-for-dismissed-coaching-staff-as-he-targets-the-six-victories-needed-to-keep-Fulham-up.html
    Fulham are adamant that Meulensteen was not given the United and Liverpool games to afford Magath an easier start yet they were already speaking to the German.

Suppose thats the way it goes, didnt man city do the same with Mancini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

dreamers75 wrote: »

Happens almost every time. No point sacking a manager if you don't have his replacement lined up and ready to go very soon, preferably immediately after.

Wolves are a perfect example of why when they sacked Mick McCarthy but had no replacement lined up, spent weeks interviewing managers, changed their mind on Steve Bruce and ended up going down without a whimper under Terry Connor. I still can't believe the way they handled that whole situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Paully D wrote: »
    Happens almost every time. No point sacking a manager if you don't have his replacement lined up and ready to go very soon, preferably immediately after.

Wolves are a perfect example of why when they sacked Mick McCarthy but had no replacement lined up, spent weeks interviewing managers, changed their mind on Steve Bruce and ended up going down without a whimper under Terry Connor. I still can't believe the way they handled that whole situation.

Wonder what the LMA advice is on it, "take the job, be grand we look after yer man"

Advertisement