Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree cutting....help please :(

• 14-02-2014 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,
    Approx 40 large fallen Sitka spruce trees. I was wondering if anybody can give me advice please. I've been told by people it will cost a fortune to get rid of them. Something I really can't afford. I doubt it's covered on house insurance and I wouldn't fancy claimimg on it anyway.

I'm not interested in them for firewood myself, just want rid in the most cost effective manner possible. Obviously I won't let any uninsured person onto the property. I'm wondering what type person be best & most economical to get tree surgeon, foresty, gardener, fuel suppiers?

Also would people pay for this wood to cut and take away to sell or should I expect paying them even if they want it for firewood themselves. Would it be more cost effective to get it chopped & try sell myself? To be honest I've no interest in firewood myself so any means of getting rid be great. Finally any idea how long this work would take?
    Sorry so many questions...no idea just want some help please.
    Thanks ever so much to any kind advice,
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kierangr

Blossomapple, I would gladly pay you for some of your timber if you are not too far from dublin. I would be using it in the stove. I would take it away for the cutting up into smaller size. Let me know if you are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

BlossomApple be very careful with this issue as referred to in your forestry thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057149008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

If you get someone that's insured, it will cost you a fortune. The main reason tree surgeons are expensive is their insurance costs.
    A gardener's insurance does not cover tree surgery.

Sitka spruce does not make good firewood; you'd be hard pressed to give it away.

I know a few people that have contacted tree surgeons about some garden jobs. On hearing the cost involved, they politely declined saying it was too expensive.
    Then the following day one of the tree surgeons helpers have offered to do a nixer for a fraction of the cost. Uninsured, obvioulsy, but economical.

Or you could buy a chainsaw and do it yourself. If the trees are down, that makes it easier. A straight tree like Sitka Spruce won't move around that much as you cut it.

Approx 40 large fallen Sitka spruce trees are not a trifle to be messed with, My Potatoes, windthrown trees can be very dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

should have no trouble getting them taken away try your local saw mill or put a add up..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Fully insured company here in Cavan I've been told they will clean it up for the taking away of the lumber.
    No association at all but will look for the number and pm to you if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

If you get someone that's insured, it will cost you a fortune. The main reason tree surgeons are expensive is their insurance costs.
    A gardener's insurance does not cover tree surgery.

Sitka spruce does not make good firewood; you'd be hard pressed to give it away.

I know a few people that have contacted tree surgeons about some garden jobs. On hearing the cost involved, they politely declined saying it was too expensive.
    Then the following day one of the tree surgeons helpers have offered to do a nixer for a fraction of the cost. Uninsured, obvioulsy, but economical.

Or you could buy a chainsaw and do it yourself. If the trees are down, that makes it easier. A straight tree like Sitka Spruce won't move around that much as you cut it.

I'd love to have 40 sitka spruce trees. I have yet to come across timber, that when well seasoned, doesn't burn in my stove. Last year we helped a neighbour clear some leylandis. logged them and stored for a year and now they are burning very nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

peadar76 wrote: »
    I'd love to have 40 sitka spruce trees. I have yet to come across timber, that when well seasoned, doesn't burn in my stove. Last year we helped a neighbour clear some leylandis. logged them and stored for a year and now they are burning very nicely

I never suggested sitka spruce does not burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Blossomapple

Hi,Thanks very much for the kind replies. I have just got quotes from tree surgeon and gardener today and they would make your eyes water. This I can't argue with because these are their charges. However if anyone knows of somebody insured and who would like this wood for themselves please pm me. The Cavan company would be great but I doubt they would travel. If they would or if anybody knows of any company etc....I'm in Clare.
    Would sawmill factories be interested in this I wonder?
    Thanks ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

there's a chap in castleconnell who does timber recycling, he might help

on a side note, does anyone know whats the story about tree surgeons with insurance can they still sue you if they had an accident on your land??? or does their insurance cover all risks??

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

there's a chap in castleconnell who does timber recycling, he might help

on a side note, does anyone know whats the story about tree surgeons with insurance can they still sue you if they had an accident on your land??? or does their insurance cover all risks??

As they are a supposed professional, the risk is theirs with their work unless they can tie you to negligence by you on your property causing the issue that is not covered by their insurance. :D But I would have thought they would have carried out a site assessment.

Advertisement