Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees storm fallen.....help please!!

• 14-02-2014 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,
    Approx 40 large fallen Sitka spruce trees. I was wondering if anybody can give me advice please. I've been told by people it will cost a fortune to get rid of them. Something I really can't afford. I doubt it's covered on house insurance and I wouldn't fancy claimimg on it anyway.

I'm not interested in them for firewood myself, just want rid in the most cost effective manner possible. Obviously I won't let any uninsured person onto the property. I'm wondering what type person be best & most economical to get tree surgeon, foresty, gardener, fuel suppiers?

Also would people pay for this wood to cut and take away to sell or should I expect paying them even if they want it for firewood themselves. Would it be more cost effective to get it chopped & try sell myself? To be honest I've no interest in firewood myself so any means of getting rid be great. Finally any idea how long this work would take?
    Sorry so many questions...no idea just want some help please.
    Thanks ever so much to any kind advice,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

40 trees is quite a number. Is this part of a plantation, or a boundary hedge?

House insurance will NOT cover cost of cutting and removal unless house is also damaged.

From the number of trees, you appear to be in a rural location. Is there any village/town nearby? perhaps some firewood dealer would take them away from you free of charge. Is there any Macra club nearby? Would they be interested in cutting and blocking to give free firewood to the local old folk?

If you are to pay tree surgeon, you will pay a lot of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dzer2

Logged trees are only making 35 euro a cubic mtr so I would not be expecting a lot for the trees
    Before allowing anyone in to cut them make sure they are competent with a saw and have insurance just to cover yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

ravima wrote: »
    40 trees is quite a number. Is this part of a plantation, or a boundary hedge?

House insurance will NOT cover cost of cutting and removal unless house is also damaged.

From the number of trees, you appear to be in a rural location. Is there any village/town nearby? perhaps some firewood dealer would take them away from you free of charge. Is there any Macra club nearby? Would they be interested in cutting and blocking to give free firewood to the local old folk?

If you are to pay tree surgeon, you will pay a lot of money.

I know if it was me, I'd ask the local fuel lad if he wanted them, and they'd be gone before you could say "billy-oh". I'd ask him for a few bob, nothing excessive, a hundred or two, and forget about them. Gone in a jiffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Blossomapple

Hi,
    Yes it's a boundary hedge. Crazy amount of trees and obviously a bad idea when I see what's happening now. It's a house I bought so there are a lot more which will prob fall in years to come. I don't know many people about being a blow in and not working locally so thank you for the advice as it's much needed

. I guess selling the firewood not an option then. It would probably benefit somebody who'd like it for themselves.
    Just wondering if that's the case.....(really not being a cheapskate... Just wana know) Iwudnt mind letting them have it for free) ... Shud they be charging me??

Just wana get my facts straight before I ask or invite anyone round to have a look.

What would your ultimate advice be? They haven't fallen on house as they're quite a bit away, just very unsightly on lawn.

Thanks so much for advice and help,
    Greatly appreciated.
    😊

Hi Stavros,
    Being a rural location I must find out the local fuel guy. Wud those guys be insured for chainsaws? Sorry if this is a stupid question.....for once I really don't mind using the excuse of being a woman. I haven't a clue re these matters.
    Thx so much
    ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Hi Stavros,
    Being a rural location I must find out the local fuel guy. Wud those guys be insured for chainsaws? Sorry if this is a stupid question.....for once I really don't mind using the excuse of being a woman. I haven't a clue re these matters.
    Thx so much
    ��

Where about in the country are you?

Clare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

I know if it was me, I'd ask the local fuel lad if he wanted them, and they'd be gone before you could say "billy-oh". I'd ask him for a few bob, nothing excessive, a hundred or two, and forget about them. Gone in a jiffy.

question here is whether the saw guy being insured is sufficient. .. does the person employing someone to take down or cut up a fallen or dangerous tree have a responsibility to enquire and ensure that the saw guy has the appropriate training? also what specific insurance does one make sure the saw guy has? Is it not the case that the saw guy can onlybe pproperly insured if he has the appropriate training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Dismantling windblown trees is among the most dangerous operations a chainsaw operator will ever undertake.
    It is NOT a job for the have-a-go-hero with a DIY shop chainsaw wearing jeans and wellingtons.

To do this properly and keep yourself protected should an accident happen, you should be looking for someone with these City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Qualifications:
    CS34 (Sever Individually Uprooted (Windblown) Trees)
    CS35 (Sever multiple windblown trees including leaning half blown, broken trees and hung up trees)

They'll also need to have Public, Employers, and Professional Indemnity insurance in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

If you take on an unqualified person and they hurt themselves you are open to litigation.

These can tell you your local arborist:

http://www.goodwin-arborist.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Oldtree wrote: »
    If you take on an unqualified person and they hurt themselves you are open to litigation.

These can tell you your local arborist:

http://www.goodwin-arborist.com/

I think to OP is caught between a rock and a hard place. I had a qualified Tree Surgeon clear 2 Lawson Cypress that fell out on the road this time last year. Charged €400.00, but in fairness cut the trees down in 10in blocks that I could split myself. The payback for me is that I now have enough timber fuel for this winter and next:).

So not cheap either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I think to OP is caught between a rock and a hard place.
    Yes, along with tree ownership goes tree responsibility, you are liable for whatever your trees do. This is not an excuse/reason to cut down all your trees, you should get your trees professionally assessed on a regular basis, esp roadside trees or trees of yours adjacent to a neighbours house, buildings, roadway, etc. to protect yourself.

Hi,
    Thanks for al the info. Yes tree surgeon quote & gardener was astronomical. Don't want to let uninsured person in so I'm kind of stuck now as you've mentioned in your replies above. . Oh dear!
    Arborist sounds great but as much as I love trees and nature.....to be honest I really have no care for these trees now..all I can foresee is expense.
    Thanks for all your kind replie. Very much appreciated.
    If by any chance anybody knows of somebody insured who would like to cut and take away the wood for themselves pleas pm me. You'd be very welcome to it.
    Do you think a sawmill factory might be interested?
    ��

Advertisement