Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staff lay offs at Phantom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Yet the BAI roll over. Again.

That licence should be revoked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dr Golden

What kind of jobs are going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

I'm not a listener, but I saw someone in the industry on Twitter refer to the news team. Do they have their own news service? If so, it appears they'll probably take either the Newstalk or Spin feed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

They should just put together a giant indie playlist on Spotify and stream it all day long: hard to imagine it would have many fewer listeners...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Don't understand what happened with Phantom. Ever since the arrival on Nova it's plummeted. An automated service after 7 again restricting new talent getting an opportunity to shine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I'm a big a big fan of phantom but it's hard to imagine this isn't the last roll of the dice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

dr Golden wrote: »

From an inside source or two it's pretty much across the board, including all of their production teams and sales staff and most of their on air talent. What will be left will be a few on air voices, somebody to manage the programming and play listing and a marketing/imaging person. You are literally talking about no more than six people to run Phantom in it's new form; even these will probably be double jobbing within the Communicorp group in some way or shape or form so their payroll costs of the station are likely to be minimal.

As savage as these cuts are, it could have been a lot worse. As late as 1PM yesterday, the station was looking at complete closure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

From an inside source or two it's pretty much across the board, including all of their production teams and sales staff and most of their on air talent. What will be left will be a few on air voices, somebody to manage the programming and play listing and a marketing/imaging person. You are literally talking about no more than six people to run Phantom in it's new form; even these will probably be double jobbing within the Communicorp group in some way or shape or form so their payroll costs of the station are likely to be minimal.

As savage as these cuts are, it could have been a lot worse. As late as 1PM yesterday, the station was looking at complete closure.

I hate to say it but if that's the case maybe they should have just wound it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I'm not an expert on the technicalities of radio but I will give my opinion and observations.

Phantom has a license for a very specific niche market (alternative-oriented rock), so it was always going to be hard to get sufficient listeners and therefore get the advertisers and therefore make money for the station.

When Phantom was a voluntary-run pirate, it did not have the same responsibilities as a licensed station. Once it broadcast with its license, it had to pay its staff, try and secure advertisers, sponsorships and, most crucially of all, increase its listenership. In order to achieve the latter, it has tweaked its music-mix and schedule. Phantom always tried to have its music mix more radio-friendly (as it were| during the day and leave the most adventurous stuff to nighttime.

It was always going to be an uphill battle to keep its loyal listeners from its pirate days and at the same time increase its listenership in order to make some money. There are only so many people out there listening to indie/alternative music and many of them don't listen to traditional radio at all.

So, understandably, Phantom has been playing a lot of stuff which bridges the gap between alternative and mainstream. In fact, at times, some of the acts are practically mainstream as they become more successful and get airplay on other stations. And that presents another problem...people who like radio-friendly acts that have a slight edge to them can already hear them on other stations, so why listen to Phantom if they are not interested in the other edgier alternative stuff?

I have eluded to potential competition from other radio stations. Much of Phantom's target audience would be students and young adults. Depending on their music tastes, some of it would be catered for by Spin103, for example if new music is the most important element rather than simply indie music. Another target audience would be people who are interested in rock music in general. Radio Nova has taken much of that audience since 2010. Then, of course, Today FM plays plenty of "cool" music. It even has an ex-Phantom presenter in Alison Curtis. This is before you start looking at the other non-traditional ways that people can listen to alternative rock.

Phantom faces difficult decisions if it is to survive and thrive, including staff reductions or replacements. Perhaps, it should go back to basics and emphasize what makes it different and look at who and what are its strong points. If it can clearly identify what it is offering. maybe Phantom might be able to secure a loyal listenership and suitable sponsorships and advertisements might follow - music-related, perhaps. But time is running out, I fear. Phantom need to act now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

From reports its cuts across the board with only 3 on air DJs/personalities to be retained. Automation will replace all the remaining on air staff.

A name change has also be rumoured.

Sad state of affairs for all concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

It seems that the BAI are going to allow a super lean business model - a radio station with 3 presenters and everything else outsourced.

It's very disappointing that the regulator could not have forseen - and it was predictable - this when they were issuing this type of licence back in 2004. They could have allowed for a lean (as opposed to super lean) business model that would have meant that an alt rock station could have been more sustainable. Instead the station was lumbered with most of the overheads that a full service station would have.

On the other hand, the alt rock format seems to be falling on it's ass worldwide.

Are the bai afraid that if they allow a radio station fold that a domino effect will happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭turbocab

Im afraid the days of music radio are numbered,Where i work there are many young people from say 18 to 40 and if they want to listen to music the mp3 player is king , i personally have a walkman sony radio only and they think im from another planet.Not one of them listen to music on fm radio,no adds not the same 300 songs on every music staion every day,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

So, understandably, Phantom has been playing a lot of stuff which bridges the gap between alternative and mainstream. In fact, at times, some of the acts are practically mainstream as they become more successful and get airplay on other stations. And that presents another problem...people who like radio-friendly acts that have a slight edge to them can already hear them on other stations, so why listen to Phantom if they are not interested in the other edgier alternative stuff?

I have eluded to potential competition from other radio stations. Much of Phantom's target audience would be students and young adults. Depending on their music tastes, some of it would be catered for by Spin103, for example if new music is the most important element rather than simply indie music. Another target audience would be people who are interested in rock music in general. Radio Nova has taken much of that audience since 2010. Then, of course, Today FM plays plenty of "cool" music. It even has an ex-Phantom presenter in Alison Curtis. This is before you start looking at the other non-traditional ways that people can listen to alternative rock.

Phantom faces difficult decisions if it is to survive and thrive, including staff reductions or replacements. Perhaps, it should go back to basics and emphasize what makes it different and look at who and what are its strong points. If it can clearly identify what it is offering. maybe Phantom might be able to secure a loyal listenership and suitable sponsorships and advertisements might follow - music-related, perhaps. But time is running out, I fear. Phantom need to act now.
    good post, and perfectly describes why I barely listen to Phantom anymore.
    the 7am-7pm programming and playlist is between 2 stools. sometimes there's a good run of songs but something like Kodaline or U2 or whatever MOR guff that the national stations would play isn't far away. Phantom is never really going to grab the "casual" listener from Today/2FM/Spin, so I'm not sure why they have carried on down such a dead-end musically.
    the main reason for almost all Phantom listeners to tune in would be because of the music. in the pirate days, and even the early licence days, it had a certain "edge" to the music it would play and there was constantly new bands/acts to discover. now it's often the same bland music for most of the day.

in the Phantom forum the recently launched "Richie and Richie" show has gotten quite a bit of praise. while the interaction between the two presenters is obviously part of it, part of what makes the show enjoyable for me is the lack of playlist. lots of new and old songs that i haven't heard, or would pretty much never hear on Phantom during the day, essentially the reason I started listening to Phantom years ago.
    the same would go for the other playlist-less shows throughout the week, Derek Byrne on Tuesday nights, Claire and Dee on Sunday mornings, etc., all ones that I would make an effort to listen to because the music is good.

with this announcement and Joe, John and Claire staying, I can't see any hope of the station turning things around. it will be the same musical direction that had me and thousands of others tuning out over the years. it won't attract new listeners because it has nothing to offer.
    the management and direction of Phantom over the last 4 years has slowly run the station into the ground, and by the looks of things, that won't change any time soon.

now the only things on Irish radio worth listening to for me are An Taobh Tuathail, Dan Hegarty and Donal Dineen....

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Very sad news if they don't bounce back. The INLR figures must have put the frighteners on the money men. Phantom with SKELETON CREW could be a good advertising gimmick though it's not halloween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BBC 6 Music is just much better, and serving the same general niche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

They have 15,000 daily listeners, same capacity as Parnell Park. Its very sad, but possibly the only solution bar the nuclear one.In terms of some of the posts here, I'd feel they should hand on to the brand name, I think it has a bit of sway (but declining)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Are the bai afraid that if they allow a radio station fold that a domino effect will happen ?
    possibly, all though i suspect the more likely thing their afraid of is that the current system used for the regulation of radio will be seen for the failure it is, my sympathies to those who will lose their jobs, all though i suspect it was predictable that once the original shareholders sold that the station would change forever and not for the better.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Probably more that the options where complete closure or the continuation albeit with a skeleton staff with the support of the BAI.

Wonder how they are going to meet the 20% news and current affairs quota?

Other stations are known to be in difficulty and I wonder if the Phantom situation will have any influence on the Sunshine/Country FM licence application outcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Infoanon wrote: »
    Probably more that the options where complete closure or the continuation albeit with a skeleton staff with the support of the BAI.

Other stations are known to be in difficulty and I wonder if the Phantom situation will have any influence on the Sunshine/Country FM licence application outcome?
    Was there not a relaxation of the 20% rule. I though certain types of stations could apply for a reduction.
    I could be wrong of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Well the BAI need to make the restructuring deal public as it's a potential game changer for any niche music driven services. Particularly as the Sunshine licence competition is ongoing and Phantom's licence ends in 2016.

There was a further derrogation of the 20% news quota given to Phantom, Nova and Beat (and I presume others). Certainly all three stations were able to drop a huge chunk of their talk shows. The 20% rule should be not be applied to these services at all - it's only vested interests keeping it in place.

The interesting thing is that Trevor Bowen, chairman of Phantom, refers to the long term future of Phantom. This is interesting as there is no long term - the licence ends in 2016 and who knows what will happen then - the BAI could advertise it again, advertise a modified form of it or not advertise it all. If the station is allowed broadcast with just 3 staff and outsource everything else, it certainly would open up the possibility of other applicants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

RCS Master Control claims another victim :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

stopped listening to breakfast when joe and keith arrived.

i'll miss will st.ledger on fridays that show was ace.

It wouldn't surprise me if 4fm follow phantom down this road, they are 13 million euro in the red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

A shame to hear about so many people losing their jobs. It'll be a tough job to run the station on such a small staff - can't see the station lasting much longer sadly. Used to be a daily listener up until a year or so ago, but just drifted away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Seren_ wrote: »
    A shame to hear about so many people losing their jobs. It'll be a tough job to run the station on such a small staff - can't see the station lasting much longer sadly. Used to be a daily listener up until a year or so ago, but just drifted away.

Very easy to run a station with Robojock ;)

It wouldn't surprise me if 4fm follow phantom down this road, they are 13 million euro in the red.

Not the first station that comes to mind, would focus on the stations with current short term (working) capital issues.

As an aside, I listened to Phantom for the first time in a very long time and was surprised to hear Fontella Bass and rescue me shortly after 6 and Stevie Wonder after 11 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

I'm going to miss Kelly-Anne Byrne's show on Saturday evenings.

I won't be tuning in to hear the DJ 3000 in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

I'm going to miss Kelly-Anne Byrne's show on Saturday evenings.

I won't be tuning in to hear the DJ 3000 in action.

I only heard heard her for the first time last weekend. Her first anniversary show. She seems like absolute doll who loves being there. Really feel for her

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Better get this in before station folds Im gonna miss it if it does.
    Anybody know who does the songs:
    Nothing to lose but your head
    and
    The one with yer man saying thou shakt not drink coca cola though shalt not etc etc. If I say hey thou shall not say ho.
    You dont get songs like that anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Not the first station that comes to mind, would focus on the stations with current short term (working) capital issues.

As an aside, I listened to Phantom for the first time in a very long time and was surprised to hear Fontella Bass and rescue me shortly after 6 and Stevie Wonder after 11 !

The last year or so, Friday and Saturday evenings has a show/disco show on. Some excellent music but how it fits into alternative/indie rock, you'd be best to ask John Cadell, their head of music ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

they are 13 million euro in the red.

Past losses are as relevant as past owners. They are of no significance.

I'm surprised Phantom are cutting their sales staff, that's like setting life boats adrift on a sinking ship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

jane82 wrote: »
    Better get this in before station folds Im gonna miss it if it does.
    Anybody know who does the songs:
    Nothing to lose but your head
    and
    The one with yer man saying thou shakt not drink coca cola though shalt not etc etc. If I say hey thou shall not say ho.
    You dont get songs like that anywhere else.

Hey Jane

That is Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip and "Thou Shalt Always Kill". They played Vicar Street last night and thanked us for the very reason you mentioned.

Glad you've enjoyed the tunes.

Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

Phantom need to expand the playlist. The indie scene is dead. The music has moved into different genres and they should too.

People who are into specialist music can get what ever they want from many other sources, so the radio offering needs to be looked at.

Whats wrong with a playlist mix like

2door cinema club
    Daft punk
    Nas
    Bombay Bicycle Club
    Duke Dumont
    Disclosure
    London Grammar
    Muse

And so on .....

If selected properly they remain cool but invite in a broader audience. Because whats going on right now is just not working and
    as a result of them getting it so wrong and not achieving audience means 20 jobs are gone. Its really sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

It's ridiculous that the successful radio stations in this country are all clones of each other playing the same crap on repeat, we need alternatives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's ridiculous that the successful radio stations in this country are all clones of each other playing the same crap on repeat, we need alternatives

I'm afraid the public gets what the public gets, as a wise man once said.

To me, what's happening to Phantom augurs the fate of all 'niche' music stations. As I see it, if you have a serious interest in any genre of music, you can access exactly what you want on Spotify or similar services, and effectively create your own bespoke station. If traditional music radio has future, it's in the form of MOR stations that basically supply aural wallpaper for passive consumers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

[QUOTE=smcgiff;89032576}I'm surprised Phantom are cutting their sales staff, that's like setting life boats adrift on a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

Plenty of sales agencies out there to represent them instead - at 15,000 listners, its would be better to out source. The name alludes me at the moment, but the new group representing the regionals (beat, spin sw etc) would be an ideal candidate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

IRE60 wrote: »
    Plenty of sales agencies out there to represent them instead - at 15,000 listners, its would be better to out source. The name alludes me at the moment, but the new group representing the regionals (beat, spin sw etc) would be an ideal candidate

IRS?

At 15,000 listeners their share would be miniscule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

LeakyGee wrote: »
    Phantom need to expand the playlist. The indie scene is dead.

Like rock died in the 60s and disco died in the 70s? Mad statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 marconi2.0

4fm have a listenership of 190k not 14k big difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

IRE60 wrote: »
    The name alludes me at the moment, but the new group representing the regionals (beat, spin sw etc) would be an ideal candidate

Media Central.

Some of the weekend schedule and the presenters supposed to be dropped continued as usual yesterday and today. Yesterday: Richie Ryan with Stadium Rock. Today: Sinead with Carraig Crua, Dee Reddy and Jack Hyland with Stadium Rock. I wasn't listening all the time so there could be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

Given that RTE2fm is self imploding and is sidelining indie and alternative, disco, funk and every other genre of music you care to mention with their new playlist and new schedule of music presenters who know nothing about music, and looking at Nova's incredible gains, surely the time was right for Phantom to really have one last push instead of just caving in.

Very sad news as in recent months the Richie and Richie show was truly outstanding radio, and Claire Beck has grown on me the odd time I flick onto her. This is great news for Nova, awful for those losing their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It's really bad news, as someone who tuned in daily from their first day of the licence, the station has been vandalised over the last few years.

Ditching Simon Maher was a stupid move. Getting in reality tv muppets like Vogue wilson and eamonn fennell to dj at the weekend was a stupid move. Heavy playlist rotation was a stupid move.

Getting Keef from Spin in as programme director was what threw the station from "troubled" to "****edd" however. He destroyed audience figures in a matter of weeks, and giving himself and his terribly unfunny mate the breakfast slot was ... horrific. It's as if someone painted a mural which said "whatever you do..." and he took it as an instruction, missing the "... don't do this" part.

I'm sad to have missed the richies show, but unfortunately it's on at the wrong time of day. That show any time of the day before 7 would have been an audience grabber I'm sure. And it's not complicated. Free up the playlist, don't employ drooling morons, let the listeners in.

Instead they went for the Kildare Hospital FM brought to you by Spin's greatest hits, Guest starring some GAA plod and his mates.

Phantom to be rebranded?
    Jim Carroll ‏@jimcarrollOTR 6m
    Is XFM going to be the new name for @phantom1052? XFM.ie registered by Communicorp 10 days ago https://www.iedr.ie/whois-results/?option=com_content&view=article&whois=xfm&id=86&Itemid=105&Search.x=33&Search.y=7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Phantom to be rebranded?

Wonder what these lads would think of that...

http://xfmdublin.com/

https://twitter.com/XfmDublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pretty spot an analysis by Jim Carroll today, I think he sums up exactly what went wrong with the station. I wouldn't be listening to most of the bands I now listen to if it wasn't for the station, but I honesty don't know when the last time was I let it on rather than flicked through it too see if there was a song currently playing I liked.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2014/02/17/time-to-do-the-right-thing-and-turn-off-phantom-105-2/

Some of the weekend schedule and the presenters supposed to be dropped continued as usual yesterday and today. Yesterday: Richie Ryan with Stadium Rock. Today: Sinead with Carraig Crua, Dee Reddy and Jack Hyland with Stadium Rock. I wasn't listening all the time so there could be more.

Following up from my observations yesterday, I briefly heard Ray McGowan last night standing in for John Caddell on Powerhouse... and Charlotte Flood was on as usual this morning with Joe Donnelly.

So, it seems that this idea that there would only be three presenters left seems to be a bit wide of the mark.

Following up from my observations yesterday, I briefly heard Ray McGowan last night standing in for John Caddell on Powerhouse... and Charlote Flood was on as usual this morning with Joe Donnelly.

So, it seems that this idea that there would only be three presenters left seems to be a bit wide of the mark.
    as I said on the Phantom forum, the reports on Friday said they've been given a month's notice.

you hardly expected them to have everyone gone and a new format implemented with a couple of hours notice?

as I said on the Phantom forum, the reports on Friday said they've been given a month's notice.

you hardly expected them to have everyone gone and a new format implemented with a couple of hours notice?

Sorry about that - of course what you are saying makes sense! I was a bit overwraught!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement