Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA beginner in London , too old ?

Options
  • 14-02-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Would anyone know if at 27 you would be too old to take up Gaelic football at a club in London ?

Played a tiny bit when I was very young but am basically a beginner, starting from scratch.

Would a club even allow you join ?

Cheers.

Nika

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Hi All,

Would anyone know if at 27 you would be too old to take up Gaelic football at a club in London ?

Played a tiny bit when I was very young but am basically a beginner, starting from scratch.

Would a club even allow you join ?

Cheers.

Nika

You are in your prime. I would say that you have no problem getting in with a club as they are always searching for players.
    One bit of advice though if you are only a beginner is to try and have a good level of fitness first so that you can concentrate on football skills and also be in a position to make space for yourself on the pitch to get unchallenged ball. With this your confidence will grow. Lay off the ball as soon as you can. Also get a pal to go with you for a bit of catch and kick away from the club training sessions. Check London GAA website for club contact details or the Irish Post Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Really appreciate that reply Santa Cruz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i played my first ever hurling game here at age 28. you'll be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Do the clubs here cater much for inexperienced hurlers? I used to play a good bit in my teens, but would be a country mile of any acceptable grade. What club did you play for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

i played my first ever hurling game here at age 28. you'll be fine!

I'm glad the hurling worked out for you at 28. But with respect to you I would think that very exceptional. Hurling from the point of view of skill and self protection, is best taken up very early. Gaelic football is a safer bet in the late twenties. And one is more likely to prosper at it. Having said that, while Gaelic football is a good game, hurling is the greatest game in the world!

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    I'm glad the hurling worked out for you at 28. But with respect to you I would think that very exceptional. Hurling from the point of view of skill and self protection, is best taken up very early. Gaelic football is a safer bet in the late twenties. And one is more likely to prosper at it. Having said that, while Gaelic football is a good game, hurling is the greatest game in the world!

Are you Ger Loughnane or Liam Griffin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

you may be overestimating the standard of junior hurling also though, esp before the recent influx of immigration. i was originally there just to make up the numbers before becoming an essential lynchpin of the team :pac:

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Are you Ger Loughnane or Liam Griffin?

Why? ( not saying which one )

Why? ( not saying which one )

Neither can give an interview without using the "hurling is the greatest game in the world " phrase

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Neither can give an interview without using the "hurling is the greatest game in the world " phrase

And there's something wrong with holding that opinion? What do you think is the greatest game?

• Advertisement
Advertisement