Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Finney Dies at 91 years

• 14-02-2014 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Even I don't remember one of Englands greatest! ;) A one club man, who could have played for anyone, though PNE were a decent side back then of course.

1946–1960 Preston North End 433 games 187 goals

England v Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

R.I.P Tom Finney. Poor Ireland took a beating that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Legendary Liverpool manager Bill Shankly, who played with Finney at Preston, once said of him: "Tom Finney would have been great in any team, in any match and in any age ... even if he had been wearing an overcoat."

R.I.P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

One of the All Time Greats...R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

RIP, a Gentleman and a legend.

I remember this interview, when he said Liverpool had played one of the greatest team performances ever.

Such a generous thing to say, at a time when it was more usual to hear former players saying how football was terrible compared to the old days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I remember his interview after the forrest game, superb player and man by all accounts, RIP Tom Finney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A true great and I don't need stats about assists and other pointless bull to say that.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Yes he was a true gent. Mourinho and a good many others in football today could take a leaf out of his book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

A proper gent, not like most of the "all take and no give" style of footballers today. Preston will always be a great club with a great history, with thanks in no small part to Tom Finney.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RIP Tom Finney. For sure he was an all-time great and a one club man too. I hadn't heard about his death until I saw this thread today.

A story comes to mind and its about him attending a Blackburn Rovers game at Ewood Park in the early part of the decade. He was spotted and asked why he decided to go to a Blackburn game and he said it was to see Damien Duff in the flesh. He loved to watch younger players breaking through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I read an article recently about the time Finney came out of retirement to play a European Cup match for Northern Ireland side Distillery.

Distillery were playing a brilliant Benfica side in the first round and their manager called up Finney to ask him to play for them. Distillery drew 3-3 at home against Eusebio and his teammates. Finney decided not to play the away leg though and Distillery lost 5-0.

So technically Finney was actually a two club man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement