Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating rent share!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Coming to an agreement re. an equitable share is almost like trying to find the holy grail as everyone has differing opinions on what is 'fair' to either the couple or the single person, depending on what point of view you're coming from.

From my past experience, it's always been easiest to divide everything, rent and bills, equally between the number of tenants, unless, of course, the couple have a double room and the other a single room (but I know that this isn't relevant in your situation). My brother is currently doing it in his apartment at the moment, and everyone is happy with the situation as everyone has received a reduction in both rent and bills when the 'partner' moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

50 50 is unfair to the single room, why does he pay the same as a double? It doesn't matter who is in the double, he's paying the same, so it's unfair. The fact that you are a couple means you WANT to share a double, it's not being forced upon you. I would split it 60:40, so you get some benefit (as the ratio might be worse otherwise).

Everything else is split between all three equally, as you all share equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I agree with the 60:40 split. Think of it this way, if you had 2 singles in a 2 bed apartment (assuming similar sized rooms), it would obviously be a 50:50 split for rent. Enter a third person. The couple should pay less because they are now sharing a room, so less available bedroom space (albeit in favour of a partner). However, the single person should also get a reduction for the inconvenience of having an extra person in the house.

If the couples room is significantly bigger (ie more than just a few metres), then 65:35 might even be appropriate.

Bills, obviously should be split evenly, three ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 chocoroll

No, you do it because you love you're partner. That's why you live together. Yes it may be a financial decision as well, but it will only work out if you really love and respect each other.

Batgurl wrote: »
    Having lived as a single person with a couple, and also as one half of a couple sharing with others, I politely disagree with the points above. Space is king no matter if your a single or double.

The thinking of some posters that you don't mind sharing your space when your in a relationship is ridiculous. Everyone needs personal space. A couple sacrifices half the wardrobe space (quite the sacrifice for a woman lol), half the floor space for things like shoes and bags, half the bathroom space for things like toiletries. They do this though because their rent is slightly cheaper.

If you think otherwise you've clearly never lived with a spouse or partner. Or maybe I've just been in a horrible dysfunctional relationship where I haven't fully committed to my partner so not wanting to pick up his day-old socks and underpants or listen to his snores when he's been out is abnormal!?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Batgurl wrote: »
    Having lived as a single person with a couple, and also as one half of a couple sharing with others, I politely disagree with the points above. Space is king no matter if your a single or double.

The thinking of some posters that you don't mind sharing your space when your in a relationship is ridiculous. Everyone needs personal space. A couple sacrifices half the wardrobe space (quite the sacrifice for a woman lol), half the floor space for things like shoes and bags, half the bathroom space for things like toiletries. They do this though because their rent is slightly cheaper.

If you think otherwise you've clearly never lived with a spouse or partner. Or maybe I've just been in a horrible dysfunctional relationship where I haven't fully committed to my partner so not wanting to pick up his day-old socks and underpants or listen to his snores when he's been out is abnormal!?! ;)

You're quite right, I didn't notice that post until the previous poster highlighted it.
    But its nothing like that split at all when "sharing" space.
    Half, HALF! I think it goes like this --> :eek::confused::mad::(, I dont think some people understand fractions, thats not half, well that was my reaction :).
    You could not, only do that for cheaper rent, it would have to be love and other things.
    And yes, you should be picking up his socks, the ironing etc :D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement