Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a gap in the Irish market for commercial aerial videography/photography ?

Options
  • 14-02-2014 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

A

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

As an entrepreneur surely you have done some research? Just typing the words into Google alone brings up plenty of results to suggest there's already a good few options out there doing this. Have you actually looked into it at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

there satellite now

there was in the 1970s

http://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-photo-image-viewer.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

I know a guy in Kilkenny who has a remote control helicopter with a camera installed, Here's a photo from the helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

There are alot of companies doing this. I used work on motorway projects and we had to get aerial photos done monthly and there were a host of people offering the service

• Registered Users Posts: 6 batt95

kkelliher wrote: »
    There are alot of companies doing this. I used work on motorway projects and we had to get aerial photos done monthly and there were a host of people offering the service

Were these in helicopters or unmanned drones ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

I doubt there's a gap. There are numbers of people offering the service. Often as a side job to their main work. Some illegally. Anybody can be the photographer but the aircraft operator must have an aerial work permit and the pilot must be a Commercial pilot. That's if you intend to sell the photos. There's no law against taking pictures otherwise for your own use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 batt95

folbotcar wrote: »
    I doubt there's a gap. There are numbers of people offering the service. Often as a side job to their main work. Some illegally. Anybody can be the photographer but the aircraft operator must have an aerial work permit and the pilot must be a Commercial pilot. That's if you intend to sell the photos. There's no law against taking pictures otherwise for your own use.

And what's the law regarding unmanned aircraft ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

batt95 wrote: »
    Were these in helicopters or unmanned drones ?

Always helicopters. I have seen alot about drones in respect to amazon and such companies and whereas they are a good idea, i am sure the cost of regulation will kill it as an idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

There are a ton of guys doing this balloons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

The IAA covers it here https://www.iaa.ie/unmanned-air-systems

Very similar rules apply as per manned aircraft and there are restrictions in congested areas and near airports. So if you imagine you can operate a drone over Dublin city centre. Think again. It's not the same a flying an RC model in Phoenix park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I know a guy who has done for this at least 15 years. Started out with a 75ft mast and recent moved to a more portable mast system. Plenty of work at the time (i.e. Building work, large festivals, golf events etc) but its a niche, niche market. And with the advent of GoPro (And miniature HD) and the price of Drones, its accessible to anyone. Its a decent side venture to an established business but not a business in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭stedabee

ironclaw wrote: »
    I know a guy who has done for this at least 15 years. Started out with a 75ft mast and recent moved to a more portable mast system. Plenty of work at the time (i.e. Building work, large festivals, golf events etc) but its a niche, niche market. And with the advent of GoPro (And miniature HD) and the price of Drones, its accessible to anyone. Its a decent side venture to an established business but not a business in itself.

I would tend to differ,

Maybe i shouldn't say this but hey...

Having started my Aerial Business only 8 months ago i've worked with a host of companies ranging from small local companies to the likes of FACEBOOK and now just completed filming for one of Irelands Eurovision entries.

For a business that formed only 8 months ago and have had the above clients in such a short time, to me it shows me this is just the start. UAV's are getting more advanced by the day, in a year we've have gone from servo gimbals to brushless gimbals which are capable of capturing shots far greater than any helicopter can. For anyone that says its not a business in itsself i can only laugh because who knows whats around the corner, we could slowly start taking aircrafts out of the sky because of the huge costs compared to remote filming and of coarse with that the demand for UAV services will increase. So far everyone of my clients have been blown away with the results whether its been photography or videography and some has passed on my name to others who never knew such a thing existed and where only delighted to hire me.

Anyway @batt95 if your looking to get into this sector i would advise you to read carefully everything involved. There are a lot of people operating illegally and uninsured and even if they are ( or think they are ) the insurance company will not cover unless they have a Aerial Works Permission. Firstly your exams will have to done along with public liability, in total both will cost in the region of €5,500 total. Then you have to get the gear, i have arguable one of the best pieces of kit on the market. I started out with a phantom and now have a S800 Evo, if you want the big jobs you need the best gear. This will cost €5500-€6500 to get you off the ground, you will then need a lot of batteries seeing one lot will give you 10 mins flight time you'll need around 10 batteries or 20 if running in parallel ( meaning x2 5000MAH rather than one 10,000MAH. Your looking around €220 per battery pack. So as you can see the costs climb very steeply very quickly. Your looking at €12,500-€20,000 to start the business properly, i suppose a important question to ask is do you have any experience flying or are you a photography/videography looking to dip your fingers into this market?

I've been flying Rc Planes/Helicopters for 12 years now so i have a lot of experience flying coupled with 8 hrs PPL flying ( Not that it matters but helps ) and over the last 5 years been working as a videography so it seemed the right thing for me. Believe it or not, it was around this time last year i was on boards and i found a post from a guy wondering the exact same thing, we talked about it for a while and i made up my mind and decided to invest and here i am today going strong with my clients getting bigger by the day.

If you have any questions i'd be happy to help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

stedabee wrote: »
    If you have any questions i'd be happy to help!
    met someone in Oz last year who was set up his 'coptor photo business for about 3000 dollars. He said if it was going to cost more, he would have gone with a mast system. Seemed to go ok for him.

Are you full time at it? If so I hope you are making a living at it, at least.

maryishere wrote: »
    met someone in Oz last year who was set up his 'coptor photo business for about 3000 dollars. He said if it was going to cost more, he would have gone with a mast system. Seemed to go ok for him.

Are you full time at it? If so I hope you are making a living at it, at least.

Ye thats totally possible to buy equipment for that amount alright, you'll get the very basic model which will have a flight time of 4-5 mins and can only carry a go pro. Although if you want to set up in Ireland you won't do it for that price as the Exam fees and insurance is more than that alone.

If you want do it on the cheap, i'd say you could get it done for €6500, thats everything from exams,insurance,UAV,website etc. But with that your at the bottom of the market as there are a good few that have the top equipment and are the ones that will get the work.

I can't understand his reasoning for a mast system because it can't capture anything what a drone can, filming is a no no. Mast photography is a old system that they used for photography when drones weren't available. This is new technology with limitless stunning capabilities. In fairness who's going to use a old system over a new system which can shoot higher and basically anywhere? At the end of the he set up for €3000, he probably wasn't even licensed so no one will employ him. I have my logo all over my website so anyone that comes on knows i'm licensed and insured and for sure that's the main reason for the work i'm getting.

Currently i am full time at is yes, full time meaning i don't do anything else to earn my money. I'm not saying i have a job everyday but it's heading the way i hoped seeing it was only properly formed 5-6 months ago. In that time we've had some bad weather too so i'm looking forward to the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Very generous postings stedabee. Your market positiong and investment, obvious enthusiasm and long experience in unmanned flight etc etc mean that you bring a lot to your business and thus to your customers. i am not surpised that you business has taken off ( pun intended!) Well done.
    Your story is a very good guide for anyone considering starting a business, you have to bring something new, do it better, have better solutions and proper useful experience etc etc if you are going to succeed.

Very generous postings stedabee. Your market positiong and investment, obvious enthusiasm and long experience in unmanned flight etc etc mean that you bring a lot to your business and thus to your customers. i am not surpised that you business has taken off ( pun intended!) Well done.
    Your story is a very good guide for anyone considering starting a business, you have to bring something new, do it better, have better solutions and proper useful experience etc etc if you are going to succeed.

Thanks Peter!

Ah i love that pun....i use it myself haha!

Ah i thought i owed something back to boards as it was a boards post that started the venture. I had been wondering for a while what i was going to do and this just seemed so right. Ye i hope it does give anyone looking to make a unknown leap courage and belief that anything is possible. Thanks again!!

stedabee wrote: »
    Currently i am full time at is yes, full time meaning i don't do anything else to earn my money. I'm not saying i have a job everyday but it's heading the way i hoped seeing it was only properly formed 5-6 months ago. In that time we've had some bad weather too so i'm looking forward to the summer.

With the bad weather this past few months its great you can keep up your enthusiasm. I am guessing there are lots of days you cannot operate at all. You must be making plenty of money on the "good" days to cover your 20k worth of overheads/equipment, your time etc. Fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Well done on the business. The first time I encountered 'mast' technology it was being used to shoot photos for estate agents selling properties - clearly it was quite restrictive as the mast (Jeep-mounted) could only go on suitable terrain, whereas you are 'airborne'. I'm curious - is the property sector a target market for you and if so what the average cost of that type of job would be (excluding travel)? Thanks,

With the bad weather this past few months its great you can keep up your enthusiasm. I am guessing there are lots of days you cannot operate at all. You must be making plenty of money on the "good" days to cover your 20k worth of overheads/equipment, your time etc. Fair play to you.

Well i suppose without enthusiasm and belief you might as well put your tools down and thats one thing i won't be doing. So far i've worked with some big businesses with the enquiries and jobs coming so fingers crossed 2014 will be a good one. The weather has been very kind to me and if i remember correctly i've only had to reschedule 6-7 jobs in the last 3 months, apart from that the weather has been very good.

Well done on the business. The first time I encountered 'mast' technology it was being used to shoot photos for estate agents selling properties - clearly it was quite restrictive as the mast (Jeep-mounted) could only go on suitable terrain, whereas you are 'airborne'. I'm curious - is the property sector a target market for you and if so what the average cost of that type of job would be (excluding travel)? Thanks,

Cheers Thanks!! Yes that is a market i've approached and worked for, the cost can range from €200-€400 depending on the time it takes and if much editing is needed. Not all properties would be suitable but you do get homes with large land that fits the bill.

Again its just a matter of time before real estate agents realise the benefits of it and i'm sure it will be a offered service to clients.

• Advertisement

surely a calm sunny day is better than a wet windy day?

surely a calm sunny day is better than a wet windy day?

Of coarse it is especially if your shooting properties as you want them to look colourful etc. If you're doing surveying it doesn't matter if its not sunny as long as the wind is below 25knots and theres no rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭YIA

Hi Stedabee,
    I've enjoyed reading your very informative replies.
    Would you mind PM'ing me your website details?
    Thanks

Advertisement