Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Norton

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

boring enough episode tonight I thought. Samuel L Jackson didnt really seem that arsed to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have to say I enjoyed Amy Schumer.. crude, but definitely witty. A nice change from your average American actor / comedienne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Merchant's first two anecdotes came straight from his stand up show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

qweerty wrote: »
    Merchant's first two anecdotes came straight from his stand up show.

I'm no fan of Merchant, his funniness doesn't tend to translate across personally I feel, but that's the setup for pretty much every comedian with a dvd or tour due, Graham sets up their chosen gags and lets them run with it. Some of the comedians come across better through interaction with the other guests.

Schumer was great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Amy Schumer was great. I really like her anyway, because she refuses to conform, which I find an admirable trait in anyone. She's actually a great role model to impressionable young* women, despite her filthy humour.

*When I say young, I mean people in their late teens-early twenties in this instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I never heard of Amy Schumer before last night but I'll be looking out for in the future, I thought she was brilliant.

The look on that tool Kanye was priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

did Samuel L Jackson genuinely not remember Merchant directing him? Merchant made a little quip about him being in the Matrix before that and Samuel gave a Look.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I never heard of Amy Schumer before last night but I'll be looking out for in the future, I thought she was brilliant.

The look on that tool Kanye was priceless.

She has her own sketch show Inside Amy Shcumer, which is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

did Samuel L Jackson genuinely not remember Merchant directing him? Merchant made a little quip about him being in the Matrix before that and Samuel gave a Look.

That Samuel Jackson/Matrix thing has happened a few times. Intentionally in 'Extras', unintentionally on a U.S. news interview recently where he tore the guy a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

She has her own sketch show Inside Amy Shcumer, which is very good.

Cool. I must look out for that.

I was looking online there and she was apart of the Charlie Sheen comedy roast, which I watched but don't recall seeing her. She made a joke about Ryan Dunn from jackass, not long after his death.

Her comedy style wouldn't be for everyone.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Merchant, his funniness doesn't tend to translate across personally I feel, but that's the setup for pretty much every comedian with a dvd or tour due, Graham sets up their chosen gags and lets them run with it.

Yeah, I know that. But I saw Merchant almost four years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Birneybau wrote: »
    That Samuel Jackson/Matrix thing has happened a few times. Intentionally in 'Extras', unintentionally on a U.S. news interview recently where he tore the guy a new one.

did you watch the show? they showed the extras clip, but if Jackson didn't remember Merchant before Norton brought it up then he didn't know he was making a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Merchant, his funniness doesn't tend to translate across personally I feel, but that's the setup for pretty much every comedian with a dvd or tour due, Graham sets up their chosen gags and lets them run with it. Some of the comedians come across better through interaction with the other guests.

Schumer was great though.

Graham set up a few gags for Amy as well, she made some of the same jokes on Ellen. She was a lot funnier on Ellen, or maybe that's because it was my first time hearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Also the oil on her legs was meant to mimic other female celebrities! She has a good sketch on the typical female celebrity on a talk show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

qweerty wrote: »
    Yeah, I know that. But I saw Merchant almost four years ago!

Ah now that is different! I thought he had an upcoming tour.
    Graham set up a few gags for Amy as well, she made some of the same jokes on Ellen. She was a lot funnier on Ellen, or maybe that's because it was my first time hearing them.

I had her down in the actress category rather than comedian/comedienne so I didn't see the setup!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,371 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Amy looks like she could be Kathleen Turner's daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Dara o Briain didn't come across fantastically tonight, and I normally love him. I think the chemistry was just off. Mark Wahlberg was as annoying as ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Theres something about Seth that doesnt set right with me.Graham did seem to stick with Seth and Mark more than usual.
    Dara is very funny but didnt get to shine last night.
    Average enough episode.

I never watched it particularly regularly, but I used always to laud Norton and the format of the show. But...it's starting to feel a bit stale to me. The opening monologue in which Norton tells mildly amusing jokes adds nothing and the way in which he segues from guest to guest is wooden. Where as before it felt radical to have all the guests on the sofa, it now feels almost old-fashioned to me. Anyone agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It purely depends on the interaction between guests..

.. it's what sets Norton's show apart from other chat shows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Wahlbergs all about the "rep".

The big geebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I think it really depends on the combination of guests on a given night. Last season (from memory) was brilliant, but this season isn't drawing me in much. I like when there's a combination of guests that would seem ridiculous on any other show, one of my favourites being June Brown & Lady Gaga with their immediate friendship.

ShazGV wrote: »
    I think it really depends on the combination of guests on a given night. Last season (from memory) was brilliant, but this season isn't drawing me in much. I like when there's a combination of guests that would seem ridiculous on any other show, one of my favourites being June Brown & Lady Gaga with their immediate friendship.
    Will I Am and the woman who gave a handjob in the tree was best ever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Will I Am and the woman who gave a handjob in the tree was best ever.

Miriam Margoyles. Classic ep!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭sxt

Very nice guest list tonight!
    CH4DnBwWUAAurfH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

It's good!

Arnie 67, looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

I've seen Khalesi on a couple of talk shows and unfortunately she doesn't set the world alight personality-wise.

Still a nice girl, but shattered my illusion of perfection. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

That model one is annoying to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,371 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That model one is annoying to look at.

Cara seems as mad as a box of frogs

Advertisement