Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Norton

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I just googled him, he's 25, that explains it for me.

I need to get back to my craft, His talking over Graham etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

gizmo81 wrote: »
    I just googled him, he's 25, that explains it for me.

I need to get back to my craft, His talking over Graham etc

As the poster above said he looks like the new Denzil, thought he was only OK but not annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Whenever an actor refers to their 'craft' it means they're a massive arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Shelga wrote: »

No it doesn't. I'm not here to educate you on why that's wrong but your wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Schumer is ****e, watch any of her stand up's it the reapted hows she's fat, ugly, cant get the ride exactly same tonight. Boyaga had a luagh had a 5 min bit bout his play and interacted again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Well I guess it is a craft but yes there are not many professions more self-absorbed than the acting profession.

I like Graham but the show relies so much on visiting movie stars doing promotion that I actually find it quite dull and repetitive most weeks. Bar the odd week when you have someone like Bill Murray on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

He's a 25 year old bit part stage actor who got a role in a franchise.I'm not diminishing his talent. However, Craft is reserved for someone with more gravitas like Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Fiona Shaw, Gillian Anderson, all who I have seen onstage and have a developed a fantastic craft over years of experience.
    No it doesn't. I'm not here to educate you on why that's wrong but your wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭conorhal

gizmo81 wrote: »
    He's a 25 year old bit part stage actor who got a role in a franchise.I'm not diminishing his talent. However, Craft is reserved for someone with more gravitas like Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Fiona Shaw, Gillian Anderson, all who I have seen onstage and have a developed a fantastic craft over years of experience.

Such is the hubris of youth. He'll probably shudder to think back on that comment in his forties when autographing action figures for a queue of tubby fanboys at Starwars conventions in Idaho....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

conorhal wrote: »
    Such is the hubris of youth. He'll probably shudder to think back on that comment in his forties when autographing action figures for a queue of tubby fanboys at Starwars conventions in Idaho....

Harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭conorhal

Harsh

Yeah, but I've see the reviews for his next movie 'The Circle' and if he wants a career beyond Starwars I really think he needs to concentrate on his 'craft' (and possibly fire his agent).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Shelga wrote:

It's as if it's some kind of mystery unattainable to mere mortals. I don't even like seasoned actors talking like that. I never hear brain surgeons refer to themselves with such self regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

bobbyss wrote: »
    It's as if it's some kind of mystery unattainable to mere mortals. I don't even like seasoned actors talking like that. I never hear brain surgeons refer to themselves with such self regard.

I'd imagine you don't talk to a lot of brain surgeons in the first place... In fairness, it's just the lingua franca for actors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

conorhal wrote: »
    Yeah, but I've see the reviews for his next movie 'The Circle' and if he wants a career beyond Starwars I really think he needs to concentrate on his 'craft' (and possibly fire his agent).
    :rolleyes:

Yeah, fire his agent for helping him get a role in a cult global film that will catapult his name amongst film viewers.
    I am not a Star Wars fan, never even seen a full movie, but I am smart enough to know that getting himself such a role so young (and being praised for such a portrayal of his character by most) will probably help him get plenty of roles for years to come, considering your name means more than anything else in the fickle world of Hollywood casting.

Boyega, I am pretty confident, will have a great career.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I'd imagine you don't talk to a lot of brain surgeons in the first place... In fairness, it's just the lingua franca for actors.

It is not a lingua franca at all. It is a perception that their work is intrinsically more worthy and important than others. It is a way of showing off. The next thing they will be telling us how much they earn.

I can not recall any top surgeon refer to their work as a 'craft' in the same manner as actors sometimes do. Surgeons study for a long time to get there. I don't know any 25 year old surgeons.

Junior doctors could be thirty years of age for all I know. I never hear them talk about their craft either.

It is called being modest and classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Have to say, that was the "WORST GRAHAM NORTON EVERRRRR" (but even at that it's better than Ray and Ryan X 100). A 25yr old actor yabbering on about being a thesbian. Fair enough if his show is good but does he have to go on about it.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I thought it was ok.

Not sure why Schumer and the guy from Star-wars are getting so much stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I thought it was ok.

Not sure why Schumer and the guy from Star-wars are getting so much stick.

Some men dont like Amy Schumer, I think they find her threatening. Most women find her hilarious IME. Except the ones who don't like talk about sex, but that's mostly older women.

I thought Starwars guy was maybe just too young to have much to say that was worth hearing. Or maybe he's just not very interesting, Graham did say to him "you sound like a riot". He was definitely a bit Meh. Tim, nice but dim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

volchitsa wrote: »
    Some men dont like Amy Schumer, I think they find her threatening. Most women find her hilarious IME. Except the ones who don't like talk about sex, but that's mostly older women.

You think men don't like Schumer because they find her threatening?? No you are a barrel of laughs.

Nothing to do with her being unoriginal? you think the women that don't find her funny are just old or not edge lord? Because they don't find her tiresome smelly vagina routine funny?

Maybe some people that don't find Mrs Brown funny are threatened too :DD

• Registered Users Posts: 86,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was Goldie Hawn drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was Goldie Hawn drunk?

Hard to say. Ditzy seems to be her default mode.

• Advertisement

You think men don't like Schumer because they find her threatening?? No you are a barrel of laughs.

Nothing to do with her being unoriginal? you think the women that don't find her funny are just old or not edge lord? Because they don't find her tiresome smelly vagina routine funny?

Well, going by that rant you're coming across as very defensive.
    Kind of proves my point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

volchitsa wrote: »
    Well, going by that rant you're coming across as very defensive.
    Kind of proves my point. :)

Haha oh I'm defensive? You're the one on the Amy schumer defence team no?

Proven what point?Anything you just said right there was pure speculation?

You do know she steals alot of her jokes? From male and femal comedians. But hey don't let me piss on your Amy threatens men rant... Sorry opinion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

All you have to do is search "amy schumer stolen jokes" and you'll see why she isn't very much liked. Mostly stolen from other comediennes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭PáircLife

How much would Graham Norton be to hire for a 10-minute photo-shoot? Just looking for ball park figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Not behaving at all like a person feeling threatened......no sirree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

All you have to do is search "amy schumer stolen jokes" and you'll see why she isn't very much liked. Mostly stolen from other comediennes too.

Wow - you really don't like Amy Schumer do you.

You'll find similar comments on the web around Maeve Higgins and Sarah Millican.

She is, however, very very popular (ie very much liked). Just like Mrs Browns Boys is very much liked. Just not by you.

This bloody 'I don't like them so that means they are crap' school of critical though really does get tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,244 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

P?ircLife wrote: »
    How much would Graham Norton be to hire for a 10-minute photo-shoot? Just looking for ball park figures.

I'd imagine there's lots of variables...
    Location of the shoot
    If it's a busy period he's unlikely to accommodate
    Are you going to him or he going to you.
    The subject of the photo shoot and whether it conflicts with any other business interests, causes or beliefs he's involved in.
    Will you provide makeup/clothing etc

Contacting his management would be best idea.
    http://www.krugercowne.com/graham-norton/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Haha oh I'm defensive? You're the one on the Amy schumer defence team no?

Proven what point?Anything you just said right there was pure speculation?

You do know she steals alot of her jokes? From male and femal comedians. But hey don't let me piss on your Amy threatens men rant... Sorry opinion :D

So her jokes are unfunny and limited in scope and she steals them as well?

How does that work? :rolleyes:

Or of course you could be grasping at straws to prove that it's not you it's her.

Sure, whatever. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Some still have sand in their knickers over the Ghostbusters remake. Twitter went baths?t crazy

Advertisement