Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Norton

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

volchitsa wrote: »
    So her jokes are unfunny and limited in scope and she steals them as well?

How does that work? :rolleyes:

Or of course you could be grasping at straws to prove that it's not you it's her.

Sure, whatever. :)

Comedy is very subjective so opinions will vary wildly, I don't think a comedian as successful​ as Amy Schumer can be considered not funny, She's not my cup of tea but Its an extremely tough business so she should be given props for forging such a career.

Its pretty conclusive imo that she has stolen jokes though, usually you can say it was coincidental but there is two jokes told back to back by Patrice O Neill that she used, there's no way thats an accident.

I would say the vast majority of Men that don't find her funny don't feel threatened by her, I mean why would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I don't find her funny and I think she's a hypocrite.
    It amazes me that some find her to be a positive example for females.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

snowflaker wrote: »
    Some still have sand in their knickers over the Ghostbusters remake. Twitter went baths?t crazy

That was hilarious, If the troll/fanboys did nothing the film would have probably been even a bigger flop, as the amount of noise that was created distracted from the fact it's a shockingly bad movie altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Comedy is very subjective so opinions will vary wildly, I don't think a comedian as successful​ as Amy Schumer can be considered not funny, She's not my cup of tea but Its an extremely tough business so she should be given props for forging such a career.

Its pretty conclusive imo that she has stolen jokes though, usually you can say it was coincidental but there is two jokes told back to back by Patrice O Neill that she used, there's no way thats an accident.

I would say the vast majority of Men that don't find her funny don't feel threatened by her, I mean why would they?

Sure, people find different things funny or unfunny, it's just there's a degree of actual hostility sometimes, that only ever seems to come from men.

Not sure it's only Amy Schumer either, but she gets it for sure.

But IME a lot of women do find her funny, (not sure if anyone thinks she's a role model though - is that something comedians ever are anyway?) and some men are OTT hostile towards her.

And there was just something about the tone of the post that gave me that feeling that he had a problem with her.

I think his posts since then have proven me right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Wow - you really don't like Amy Schumer do you.

You'll find similar comments on the web around Maeve Higgins and Sarah Millican.

She is, however, very very popular (ie very much liked). Just like Mrs Browns Boys is very much liked. Just not by you.

This bloody 'I don't like them so that means they are crap' school of critical though really does get tired.
    Did you mean to quote me? because no where did i say I personally don't like her so you can stop your vendetta right there.
    I really don't care that much for her but the stuff I've seen is poor.
    Now listen that's my opinion and not me saying no one else should be a fan based on it or what I've posted.

I may have worded my original comment wrong. By "not much liked" I meant by the people who have already decided she's not for them. Didn't mean the vast public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Did you mean to quote me? because no where did i say I personally don't like her so you can stop your vendetta right there.
    Now listen that's my opinion and not me saying no one else should be a fan based on it or what I've posted.

I may have worded my original comment wrong. By "not much liked" I meant by the people who have already decided she's not for them. Didn't mean the vast public.

I can't speak for the poster you're replying to, but I didn't read your post as unpleasant or agressive. I just assumed he was referring to the other poster.
    And just generally, to an attitude that is not uncommon.

And absolutely people have different tastes. Luckily! And comedy in particular.

Not to mention that some comedians have a few nice ideas at the start of their career but then can't always keep up the constant flow of creativity that we expect now. When you can watch all of someone's shows on YouTube the day after you first hear of them, obviously the audience becomes harder to satisfy. I think it must be a nightmare for comedians now, male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

volchitsa wrote: »
    Sure, people find different things funny or unfunny, it's just there's a degree of actual hostility sometimes, that only ever seems to come from men.

Not sure it's only Amy Schumer either, but she gets it for sure.

But IME a lot of women do find her funny, (not sure if anyone thinks she's a role model though - is that something comedians ever are anyway?) and some men are OTT hostile towards her.

And there was just something about the tone of the post that gave me that feeling that he had a problem with her.

I think his posts since then have proven me right. :)

I suppose I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids.

It was in fact you who was defensive of Schumer. Oh it must be because some men are threatened that they don't like her comedy. Ridiculous.

Me pointing out the fact that there are many reasons to not find her act funny is a tone? Desperate.

Some men are OTT hostile about Adam sandler movies . I doubt it's because they're threatened by him. The only thing you have proven to me is that your points are easily trashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Addle wrote: »
    I don't find her funny and I think she's a hypocrite.
    It amazes me that some find her to be a positive example for females.

In what way is she a hypocrite?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yes I did.

Its a given then when people are offering opinions on an entertainer professionally - whether a comedian or a musician or an actor or whatever - its an opinion on their work.

E.g. I don't like Coldplay does not typically mean.....that Chris Martin bloke, I find him to be a bit self centred, he's very shallow compared to the singers in other bands..........it means I don't like their music.

My vendetta :-) nice one.

I'll throw it out there to cut to the chase. Its ridiculous that so many men have problems with female comedians "but they're just not funny blah blah blah".....they are funny, it just not 'bloke' humour. Move outside your comfort zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Christ, is this Amy Schumer bickering still going on! is she really worth it! I don't think she has ever got this much publicity!

If someone is so fixated on her plagiarising jokes, via their obsession with US tabloid sensationalism and it's obsession with "celebrity scandals", perhaps they should delve more into the actual content of the jokes, the background to who accused her and the fact that if you analyse any comedian's material, it could easily be related to past material!

The fact is the woman is so popular that she needs to come up with more content than most comedians out there so obviously there is going to be many crossover references in her material that can seem to be similar to out jokes !

Anyway, at the end of the day it is literally only a bloody joke!

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I'll throw it out there to cut to the chase. Its ridiculous that so many men have problems with female comedians "but they're just not funny blah blah blah".....they are funny, it just not 'bloke' humour. Move outside your comfort zone.
    Don't know where the male v female comments are coming from related to what I've said or anything that has been posted my other here. I don't find her funny because of her comedy and nothing to do with the fact she isn't a man.

I'd take Katherine Ryan or Jo Brand over Alan Carr or Michael Mcintyre any day of the week. Stop trying to turn this into a sexism rant.

Christ, is this Amy Schumer bickering still going on! is she really worth it! I don't think she has ever got this much publicity!

I'm fairly certain that Amy Schumer has received more publicity than this thread. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm fairly certain that Amy Schumer has received more publicity than this thread. :confused:

Yeah, there's bound to be other forums around the world discussing how shīt she is!!:pac:

I was being tongue in cheek to make a sarcastic point about the foundations and longevity of this debate. Christ!

blade1 wrote: »
    Yeah, there's bound to be other forums around the world discussing how shīt she is!!:pac:

It is irrelevant what a person thinks of her and her comedy.

I just find bizarre the notion that boards.ie is the biggest impact she has ever made. Anywhere ever.:P

It is irrelevant what a person thinks of her and her comedy.

I just find bizarre the notion that boards.ie is the biggest impact she has ever made. Anywhere ever.:P

I was being tongue in cheek to make a sarcastic point about the foundations and longevity of this debate. Christ! :D

I was being tongue in cheek to make a sarcastic point about the foundations and longevity of this debate. Christ! :D

No, it is just a silly thing to say.

Or type.

Anyhoo.....
    Series 21 Episode 5 of 13

On Graham's sofa this time are Hollywood legend Diane Keaton, talking about her new movie Hampstead, two-time Oscar nominee Jessica Chastain, starring in Miss Sloane, Kevin Bacon chatting about his new Amazon series I Love Dick, and Michael Fassbender, reprising his android role in Alien: Covenant. With musical guests Gorillaz, performing We Got the Power.

No, it is just a silly thing to say.

Or type.

You are actually serious!!

You actually think it is necessary to correct me on a post that couldn't be more tongue in cheek if it tries! You actually think it was necessary to correct me that I was wrong in "believing" that Amy Schumer, one of the most noted female comedians knocking about at the minute has got more publicity on a couple of pages on Boards.ie than she has ever got previously!

I give up!

You are actually serious!!

You actually think it is necessary to correct me on a post that couldn't be more tongue in cheek if it tries! You actually think it was necessary to correct me that I was wrong in "believing" that Amy Schumer, one of the most noted female comedians knocking about at the minute has got more publicity on a couple of pages on Boards.ie than she has ever got previously!

I give up!

Well, if you are going to quit that easy, I don't think you are the witty individual you believe yourself to be.

Take care anyway.

• Advertisement

Well, if you are going to quit that easy, I don't think you are the witty individual you believe yourself to be.

Take care anyway.

You sound like a barrel of laughs! Which is ironic, given the topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,244 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tonight...
    Jessica Chastain
    Diane Keaton
    Kevin Bacon
    Michael Fassbender

Music
    Gorillaz

Tonight...
    Jessica Chastain
    Diane Keaton
    Kevin Bacon
    Michael Fassbender

Music
    Gorillaz

Wonder what the Gorillaz set up will be! I like Kevin Bacon

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think Gorillaz dropped being animated characters in performances outside of their properly set up concerts. I'm sure I've seen Damon and co performing as themsleves

I don't get it. Please explain.

Noel Gallagher is performing with them tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Noel Gallagher and Michael Fassbender on the same show.
    TV heaven for me tonight.

No explanation? Okay.

As I said, take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Addle wrote: »
    Noel Gallagher and Michael Fassbender on the same show.
    TV heaven for me tonight.

Diane Keaton doesn't appeal to me,basically old Hollywood Royalty,other than that looks decent.

• Advertisement

No explanation? Okay.

As I said, take care.

Oh you care! Otherwise you wouldn't have asked me for an explanation (for what I dont know!) another time! You are very easily wound up! This is a bizarre exchange of posts if you look at how they commenced!

The reason I didn't reply is because this "conversation " has absolutely nothing to do with the thread and, quite fankly, I haven't a clue what you want me to explain!

Advertisement