Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Norton

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

For more on Graham Norton's Irishness, tune into this week's Late Late Show!

https://twitter.com/RTELateLateShow/status/529957729281273856

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I really like how all the guests interact well on his show

Of course some weeks are better than others

Yeah, for all the talk of him sucking up to a listers, his format is brilliant for having everyone relaxed and at ease. Also it helps if a lister #1 is good friends with and not afraid to take the piss out of a lister #2 on the same show which gets the ball rolling, and Graham himself isn't exactly always shy - he's gone further with a number of celebrities, even some infamous diva types like Elton John if I recall. He has a way of doing g it without being at all offensive which is why Matthew McConnaughey's response to Norton laughing at his dog being called BY was quite surprising. Still didn't stop him from asking if at the park he has to shift "BJ, BJ, COME!" :pac: - most others would have just shut up and changed subject or wilted away completely there (Tubridy, I'm looking at you!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

For me, the shows that stay in my memory are ones where people who would never ordinarily be paired up (Hollywood A-lister meets British minor celeb) but have the most incredible spontaneous chemistry. It takes over the show, and Norton is clever enough not to interfere, just let them run away with it. Lady Ga Ga and June Brown were fantastic. But the show I've watched four or five times and still find hilarious is Will.I.Am and Miriam Margolyes. ("Not like!")

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

My only problem with Norton is that sometimes when he has a really big A lister on the other guests nearly take a back seat. Don't think I've ever seen him too much in awe of anyone that he panders too much. He can take the piss with big name stars inoffensively and when you get a couch with good chemistry its a fantastic show. Sure he can be a bit syncophantic every now and again. Wha t chat show host isn't ?

I know its always compared but tubridy z-list celebs, misery slot v's nortons usually highly entertaining humourous 40 mins ? No contest.

I looked up the lineup of the Saturday Night Show last week and the only person I recognised was Bonnie Tyler singing a 30 year old song. Thats beyond poor.

The Norton show with Will.I.Am and Miriam Margoyles was great but she plays up the hapless foolish type too much. Really Miriam, at the age of 73 in a showbiz career you've never met many black people ? She was playing a part totally and its was funny but I've seen her playing the gormless old woman again since and its not washing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

maudgonner wrote: »
    For me, the shows that stay in my memory are ones where people who would never ordinarily be paired up (Hollywood A-lister meets British minor celeb) but have the most incredible spontaneous chemistry. It takes over the show, and Norton is clever enough not to interfere, just let them run away with it. Lady Ga Ga and June Brown were fantastic. But the show I've watched four or five times and still find hilarious is Will.I.Am and Miriam Margolyes. ("Not like!")

You've reminded me with this - I rarely if ever watched Graham Norton at the time but happened to catch the Lady Gaga / June Brown show, which has to have been some of the (unintentional) best entertainment I've ever seen on the telly. It was absolutely priceless.

Didn't see the other one - anyone any idea if it might be available on the net anywhere?

Anyway, the June Brown one (she totally stole the show despite the presence of La Ga Ga) converted me firmly to Graham, and although nothing has matched it since, I live in hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Here you go Heidi
    http://youtu.be/2s7hkd_r9po

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Really gone down hill these days. Looks like three unfortunates from the BBC canteen pressganged onto Grahams couch this evening. Remember when he used to have A-listers ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Really gone down hill these days. Looks like three unfortunates from the BBC canteen pressganged onto Grahams couch this evening. Remember when he used to have A-listers ?

The lineups of the last few weeks would be difficult to live up to in fairness. But yeah, tonights lineup doesn't appeal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

They're just keeping the couch warm until Shirley gets there. Apart from Richard Ayoade, he's funny! But can't stand David Walliams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This has been poor so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Brilliant show tonight. It's always better when there are no American guests on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Brilliant show tonight. It's always better when there are no American guests on.

I thought it was terrible, i switched off out of embarrasment when Catherine Tate was trying to flog Nativity 3: Dude Wheres my Donkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

furiousox wrote: »
    Lena Dunham is better looking than Anne Hathaway....imo.

Who cares what she looks like? She is an actress, not a model. Women seem to go on an awful lot about how unattractive they think Anne Hathaway is. If she is so unattractive why do you feel the need to comment on it? Maybe doing so makes you feel more attractive?
    Matthew McConaughey is too much in love with his own idea of coolness and is quite happy to let other people say to him how cool he is. He likes to make people think he is chilled and laid back but yet when Norton interrupted his story about the dog bj and the mountain ram you could tell he was fairly annoyed and he got too annoyed too quickly.

He was pissed, it was funny.
    I always thought Flanagan was a pain in the arse whenever I saw him on the countless so called comedy panel shows that populate the tv schedules of Channel 4 and BBC1, but I felt sorry for him this time around and he was genuinely funny, he did not deserve to have his story interrupted by the two daft buggers beside him.

The singer who hid her face was an idiot who spouted pretentious nonsense about not wanting to be famous. If she does not want to be famous then don't appear on chat shows hawking your new album love. An album I wont be buying any time soon, (its metal or nothing in my house).

Norton on the other hand was the same old same old when that guy from NI came on to tell his story. Jesus you would think Norton was ashamed to be Irish the way he carried on referring to double decker buses, lots of traffic, etc etc and the Jeremy Kyle joke was in bad taste too. Obviously Norton thinks little of the underclass that get paraded on that show and made to act like animals for the benefit and entertainment of other people.

I don't think I will watch again, I don't really care much for the fawning sycophantic treatment that chat show hosts mete out to Hollywood A listers week in week out.

Mickey Flanagan is generally accepted as one of the best comedians in the UK.

Sia's performance was strange but it is a great song so who cares.

Learn to take a joke about Ireland. And if he is the 'same old same old' why did you even bother watching? Watching the show would normally be diametrically opposed to someone who dislikes the show enough to post a misguided essay on everything they think wrong with it.
    enough with the barrel of laughs comments any more cracks like that and I will report you.

'I will tell on you'. Nobody cares if you report someone for pointing out you are a malcontent and boring.
    nice to see the keyboard warriors are out in force.

Signed the author of the essay complaining.
    can Norton not just do without the cheap cracks whenever someone irish is on the red chair..

He does it to whoever is in the red chair, Irish or not, how has this escaped you? And it is funny, it is why people watch it, everybody loves the red chair, except of course those that hate everything about the show but watch it for some reason.

You really are a barrel of laughs.
    if anyone wants to read a better articulated and better written account of what I am trying to say then click on the link please:

I will pass, thanks.

Also, Ayoade is not funny, how long does it take awkward to become boring? I wonder what he is like when he is not 'on', possibly more boring I guess. Catherine Tate is common as muck. 'Am I bothered?', change the record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Nativity 3. **** right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Finally getting around to watching this.

Love SB, she didn't disappoint.

Holy moly, Annie Lennox is looking good for someone approaching 60 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

This guy's show is the only British tv I watch. Love Graham Norton, although the more recent episodes on his show haven't been that great and I've skipped through them. Prefer watching the big American movie stars on that show. You never see them out of their element like you do when watching them with Norton.
    furiousox wrote: »
    Lena Dunham is better looking than Anne Hathaway....imo.

Riiiight....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I enjoyed the show tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The look on Jason Bateman's face when the crowd did the clapping to the Friend's theme tune was hilarious! I nearly wet myself laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,855 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Aniston took Norton dregging up old stuff well enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Aniston took Norton dregging up old stuff well enough
    I'd say talk show hosts love her - popular with men and women for ratings, an A-lister also with the whole Friends thing to fall back on in conversation if needed, pretty funny at times, good talker, and seems extremely easy going and willing to laugh at herself without seeming to have much if any pretensions. Makes sense that she's a very universally popular celebrity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,365 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Addle wrote: »
    I enjoyed the show tonight.

Olly always gets himself in hot water on twitter before his appearance on GN but bless him he is great, love Olly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I can't abide OM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭sporina

when is the repeat on? missed fridays

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

sporina wrote: »
    when is the repeat on? missed fridays

Tonight not sure of time though, late enough

kayevajo wrote: »
    Tonight not sure of time though, late enough

11.50pm http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04syhxs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Victoria Wood seemed v uneasy during the last episode, anyone else find this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Was Jeff Daniels actually not meant to be there on this weeks show as Graham clearly had no homework done on him. He just sat there for most of it saying nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

lertsnim wrote: »
    Was Jeff Daniels actually not meant to be there on this weeks show as Graham clearly had no homework done on him. He just sat there for most of it saying nothing.

Seemed a bit odd alright..........Jim Carey was good though, seems like a good guy. Jude law is a really great guest, would like to have heard more from him. Bit of a waste to have him and Jeff daniels on and not hear a lot from them.
    It was the same with Michael Keaton last week. I know he's a great dramatic actor but he's first and foremost a comedian and he's a genuinely funny guest. But Graham norton gave him relativley little time. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭sporina

tunguska wrote: »
    Seemed a bit odd alright..........Jim Carey was good though, seems like a good guy. Jude law is a really great guest, would like to have heard more from him. Bit of a waste to have him and Jeff daniels on and not hear a lot from them.
    It was the same with Michael Keaton last week. I know he's a great dramatic actor but he's first and foremost a comedian and he's a genuinely funny guest. But Graham norton gave him relativley little time. Shame.

yeah i thought the same…

on another note - Jude law looked a bit rough - must have had a late night

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »

Graham never mentioned Jeff being on last week only Jim

Advertisement