Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R9 290 or GTX 780 @1440p, that is the question...

Options
  • 15-02-2014 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Despite everything I've read and learned regards both the AMD R9 290 4GB and the Nvidia GTX 780 3GB I really can't still decide which of the two I should go with to use @ 1440p resolution.

Price wise there's nothing really between them.

R9 290 4GB or GTX 780 3GB @1440p 7 votes

AMD R9 290 4GB
    0%
    Nvidia GTX 780 3GB
    100%
    dark_jedi_ireBloodBathspyder238smiddyboytazzzZSeaaanyawhat! 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Maragenie wrote: »
    Despite everything I've read and learned regards both the AMD R9 290 4GB and the Nvidia GTX 780 3GB I really can't still decide which of the two I should go with to use @ 1440p resolution.

Price wise there's nothing really between them.

Do you do anything that likes cuda? Or do you want to record your screen using that nvidia magic no lag screen recorder? 780 uses a bit less power and you don't need the extra vram unless you're doing multiple monitor gaming.. 780s are a bit quieter.. not exactly a big deal though & if you're watercooling you'll get a bit more poke out of the R9 290 though if you get a good one.

Pretty much a toss up though. I'd go with the 780 just because of those few little things. IMO go with whichever you can get the best deal on

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Maragenie

I'll just be gaming with it on the one monitor, money wise like I said there's only a few € between them either way but I don't want to buy one or the other and then turn around a month later and say that was a mistake. The only thing putting me off the 780 is that I'm constantly hearing rumours about Nvidia 8th series cards getting released and when that do eventually happening I don't want to be left holding a 780 in which the arse just fell out of. But if the release is more than 3-6 months away I'll go 780 I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Maragenie

Went ahead anyways and ordered the GTX 780 from Asus.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

Nvidia GTX 780 3GB
    personally would have gone with a voltage unlocked r9 290 and then flashed it to a 290x. but tbh both are v good cards so you cant go wrong either way.

also i dunno if nvidia cards suffer with this but amd cards suffer with coil whine... i have a 7970 and if its at high fps it screams!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nvidia GTX 780 3GB
    Almost any card with high frame rates will suffer bad coil whine.

Why render more than your monitor can display anyway? Turn on adaptive Vsync and you will never get coil whine or screen tearing.

• Advertisement

Nvidia GTX 780 3GB
    BloodBath wrote: »
    Almost any card with high frame rates will suffer bad coil whine.

Why render more than your monitor can display anyway? Turn on adaptive Vsync and you will never get coil whine or screen tearing.

It's just preference for me. And my card will whine at 120fps on certain games. And in fairness coil whine comes down to gfx card companies trying to do things on the cheap these days. This is the first card I've ever had that whines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nvidia GTX 780 3GB
    Is it new? It can happen with new cards and settles over time.

Nvidia GTX 780 3GB
    BloodBath wrote: »
    Is it new? It can happen with new cards and settles over time.

Not new anymore no. Had it for about 6 months or so now. Actually gets really really annoying at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Get an GTX 780 TI :D

Advertisement