Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening Photography Courses!

Options
  • 15-02-2014 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi Tommy here ,

Im currently in Australia on a 2nd yr working visa and will return to Ireland for good on 1st of June 2014.

Iv always being big into photos and photography, especially with all the sites here in Sydney. so a few weeks ago i took the plunge and bought myself my first Dslr...I got a Canon 700D and a Canon 24-105mm L series lens.:)

There going great so far and im trying to teach myself all the setting as i dont wana get stuck in auto mode!! im actually doing a day course next week with a Professional Photographer here in sydney http://signaturephoto.com.au/essentials_photography_course_sydney.html
    Hopefully if it goes wel il have a much better understanding and be more confident using the camera.

Anyway im on a career break from work so will be going back full time in the summer. I would love to do some kind of course though to give me a better understanding,knowledge and know-how to maybe set up my own website and get some work in that field down the line.
    I found a yr long evening course in Dublin which seems really good http://www.gcd.ie/certificate-in-photography-hetac/
    Its expensive but i could probably manage it, getting there and the cost and time of travel of it is the problem though as i live in Laois and work in Kilkenny.

So i was trying to find a similar evening course, one that is recognised if possible, closer to my home. For example Portlaoise, Kilkenny, Thurles, Carlow and maybe even Limerick with the new motorway beside me are an hour drive at the most so would suit better than trying to do Dublin which being honest isnt going to happen!!

So id appreciate any advice or help or links to evening courses that people have done or know about!

Thanks and hope to hear some feed back.

Regards
    Tommy!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hollyfielder01

Hey again....i found a much cheaper course....anyone ever do this one in coolock?? http://www.colaistedhulaigh.ie/courses/media/photography-fetac-award-level-6

Hi again,

Has anyone ever done the evening 1 day a week for 22 weeks photography course with Lorna Fitzsimons in http://www.colaistedhulaigh.ie/part-time/part-time-day-evening-courses/part-time-day-evening-courses-1 ????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

hi Tommy have you had a look at www.iop.ie ?

MarkN wrote: »
    hi Tommy have you had a look at www.iop.ie ?

Thanks Mark N.....That looks class but i wouldnt be able do 2 nights and sat morning in Dublin unfortunatly as i live in Laois,other than that its exactly what i want only i need it more down the south,the joys of living in a country with only a few citys :(
    thanks though!!

Tommy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Hi Tommy here ,

Im currently in Australia on a 2nd yr working visa and will return to Ireland for good on 1st of June 2014.

Iv always being big into photos and photography, especially with all the sites here in Sydney. so a few weeks ago i took the plunge and bought myself my first Dslr...I got a Canon 700D and a Canon 24-105mm L series lens.:)

There going great so far and im trying to teach myself all the setting as i dont wana get stuck in auto mode!! im actually doing a day course next week with a Professional Photographer here in sydney http://signaturephoto.com.au/essentials_photography_course_sydney.html
    Hopefully if it goes wel il have a much better understanding and be more confident using the camera.

Anyway im on a career break from work so will be going back full time in the summer. I would love to do some kind of course though to give me a better understanding,knowledge and know-how to maybe set up my own website and get some work in that field down the line.
    I found a yr long evening course in Dublin which seems really good http://www.gcd.ie/certificate-in-photography-hetac/
    Its expensive but i could probably manage it, getting there and the cost and time of travel of it is the problem though as i live in Laois and work in Kilkenny.

So i was trying to find a similar evening course, one that is recognised if possible, closer to my home. For example Portlaoise, Kilkenny, Thurles, Carlow and maybe even Limerick with the new motorway beside me are an hour drive at the most so would suit better than trying to do Dublin which being honest isnt going to happen!!

So id appreciate any advice or help or links to evening courses that people have done or know about!

Thanks and hope to hear some feed back.

Regards
    Tommy!!

did this and ended up doing the degree, any questions pm me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

No courses in Kilkenny but there are a few camera groups if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭intolerant

If you consider the course in Griffith just be aware that it runs over three nights per week from 6.30pm to 9.30pm and is quite intense. They have recently changed the curriculum too so any data you have on the course may have changed slightly.

Would it be possible to identify a quality photographer in your area and work with him / her over time to progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

Hi Tommy,

If you are interested in joining a club then there is always Portlaoise Camera Club who meet every Wednesday night in the Parish Centre. They also run plenty of workshops and have a guest speaker most months.

toe_knee wrote: »
    No courses in Kilkenny but there are a few camera groups if you are interested.

Cheers '' Toe Knee''...Have you any more info on these groupes as chances are il be back working in Kilkenny after Oz....
    Thanks
    Tommy

intolerant wrote: »
    If you consider the course in Griffith just be aware that it runs over three nights per week from 6.30pm to 9.30pm and is quite intense. They have recently changed the curriculum too so any data you have on the course may have changed slightly.

Would it be possible to identify a quality photographer in your area and work with him / her over time to progress?

Ya not a bad idea thanks...ya anything more than 1 night a week in dublin is out for me...travel would be too costly and exausting!!!

• Advertisement

mikka631 wrote: »
    Hi Tommy,

If you are interested in joining a club then there is always Portlaoise Camera Club who meet every Wednesday night in the Parish Centre. They also run plenty of workshops and have a guest speaker most months.

Thanks mikka631
    Im actually friends with them on facebook...are you in it or what kinda stuff goes on??

Thanks
    Tommy

Advertisement